• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ECU box

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
I have not decided where I want to mount my ECU when I do my swap . I'm still pulling parts from my donor and was attempting to pull the mounting box the ECU sits in. It's in there pretty Dam Good! I would like to mounted in the fire wall and the box looks like it would do a good job keeping it safe.
Any tips on getting it out , it's a 97 Mountaineer

I guess I could fab something out of sheet metal

broncbusted

Loc.
South Carolina
Ecm box

Yes the Ford Escape has a metal ECM box and is easy to remove. I installed mine in the Bronco firewall and EFI wiring stays in the engine compartment.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
A box isn't necessary. The PCM is intended to be in the passenger cabin, with its connector at the firewall so the wiring is in the engine bay. There's plenty of room for it to be mounted that way at the driver's footwell vent (which isn't very effective, and frequently leaks rain, so blocking it off is no loss).

. . .

OP
OP
Tiko433

Tiko433

Contributor
Loc.
South West Florida
Thanks guys ..That's a Idea ... the vent box. I will keep that in mind . I will check the Escape mount also.

Galt72

Contributor
I got my box from a Ford van at pick pull. It's really easy to pull if the engine is out
It located by the gas pedal.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
If you're planning on doing the EFI with the Mountaineer harness, there isn't enough harness lead for the ECU to be mounted anywhere but the center firewall. Unless you want to modify the harness yourself by adding to the ECU plug lead. I mounted the ECU on the passenger kick panel, using the Explorer box. I added 30" to the harness lead.

Mark

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Escape box is super easy to pull and super easy to use. Surely not the only solution but a good option

Hank

OP
OP
Tiko433

Tiko433

Contributor
Loc.
South West Florida
I like the center location, I have seen where it's been done there. Does anyone know if there enough room to leave the defrost ducks and what ever else may be behind it .

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I also picked up an Escape box today from the pick and pull. It’s got two places that it bolts to the escape in the rear (one on each side) does anyone make a rear mount in the bronco or just use the front facing bolts?
Also, I didn’t pay attention when I removed it but assume they the spring clip goes on top? That would allow any water or condensation to escape from the little hole on the bottom. It’s for a machined valley to that hole so makes sense to me.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
TFI doesn't like heat, many of us have moved them to avoid common failures .

Why would you mount the ECU in the engine compartment unless there is no other option? I know I can get carried away about "what if's" but why increase the odds?

I don't use the Exploder ECU so I don't recall it's physical size but I use a Mustang ECU and mount it behind the glove box spaced above the heater box. Yeah, you'd thnk there would be a little extra heat above the heater box but remember, we drive Broncos so there's no "extra heat" in that area. :)

Inside the cabin it is at least a hundred degrees cooler than under the hood which is common to be between 180-250 degrees. Why subject electronics to that if you can avoid it is all I'm suggesting.

Also when crossing creeks those lower kick panels can often be submerged if that's the type of terrain you visit. Get it up high and dry and keep it cool.

Just my preventative .02

Last edited:

Big Slim

i used an escape box on mine. i just machined down the back flange a bit to make it flatter. impossible to get the plastic explorer box out. i think there was another non-box option from a van i think. uses a bit less room. i like having the box to keep it clean if no hard top and wash out interior.
the escape had the spring on top. i have read that some people flip it. the hole is a vent to regulate pressure so does not compromise the sealing. i used the bolts from the front but put in rivetnuts on the firewall so no need to hold nuts on the back. super easy.
but the escape box does interfere with the defrost ducts on the stock heater. try to mount the ecu as high as possible to give you the most room.

OP
OP
Tiko433

Tiko433

Contributor
Loc.
South West Florida
Hey Guys here is a picture of what I ended up doing. It’s an Escape box.

Attachments

• 39B537B9-E9CA-4D96-8549-2FDE770DC28A.jpeg
    39B537B9-E9CA-4D96-8549-2FDE770DC28A.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 2484F410-532F-4A4F-9B6F-56F724FD0D0C.jpeg
    2484F410-532F-4A4F-9B6F-56F724FD0D0C.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 46

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Guys here is a picture of what I ended up doing. It’s an Escape box.
Did you only mount on the firewall surface, or did you also make a rear mount for the Escape box?

Big Slim

i only have it mounted to the firewall surface. seemed solid enough but i have not done any wheeling yet. certainly would be more secure with the rear mount. probably worth doing if you have the dash apart already.

OP
OP
Tiko433

Tiko433

Contributor
Loc.
South West Florida
The hole I cut was tight. I just slid the box in it.
It doesn’t move at all. I screwed the flange on the box to the firewall. The boot that covers the ECU has the two screws on each side.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The hole I cut was tight. I just slid the box in it.
It doesn’t move at all. I screwed the flange on the box to the firewall. The boot that covers the ECU has the two screws on each side.
Did you have to trim the outside black cover to fit width wise? No big deal to cut it, but also don’t want to cut a seal that prevents water from getting in that box.