• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EGR Block Off Plate

Jc.av8r

I am looking for some guidance or a link to a product I'm trying to find.

My Bronco came with a 2 barrel Holley carb, and it has been sitting on this EGR riser plate that is preventing me from putting a new, better fitting air intake filer. (hood clearance)

Today I pulled the carb off and removed that riser plate only to learn what is is. I understand the EGR port can be sealed (it's never been connected to the exhaust manifold vacuum port anyways, but I cannot find the right shaped block off plate/gasket kit to re-install the carb without a plate. Like this, I will have a leak.

Please help! Photos below:

ZQWyjPRl.jpg

hMJLtGyl.jpg

4gDQnuSl.jpg

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
A thought... Were there any intake manifold gaskets available that blocked the cross over passage? Then you could place a thin plate in place of the EGR spacer.

A second thought is running an non EGR intake manifold without the EGR port. Many must have pulled them to run 4BBL carbs?

Random thoughts on a Monday morning...

OP
OP
J

Jc.av8r

A thought... Were there any intake manifold gaskets available that blocked the cross over passage? Then you could place a thin plate in place of the EGR spacer.

A second thought is running an non EGR intake manifold without the EGR port. Many must have pulled them to run 4BBL carbs?

Random thoughts on a Monday morning...
I am having trouble finding a gasket that fully covers the EGR port.

I think I am resolving to putting it back together as it was, and upgrading the intake manifold and a 4bbl carb in the near future.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA

Jc.av8r, I ran the original Autolite two barrel on mine for years with the EGR blocked off. What I did was cut a small piece of stainless shim stock in the shape of the EGR valve two hole port. I put the shim between the EGR valve and plate. It only needs a gasket on the plate side.​

The problem though, with disabling the EGR system on an otherwise stock engine, is you'll usually end up with a ping under light throttle. The reason for this is the hot exhaust added to the mixture is squishy and acts like lower compression to slow the combustion. Also, the mixture is now too lean.​

You can easily fix this though. Your Holley carb is easy to re-jet.​

Many people attempt to retard the timing to fix the ping, only to end up with a really poopy and stinky engine.​

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Got my block off plate on ebay. It was just an aluminum plate that mounts where the valve was.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk