• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Alignment completed...now what?

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
I got the alignment completed along with new Bilstein 5100's. I'll be replacing my steering stabilizer with a Duff's Midnight series. I also have a new power steering box, plus 2 1/2" lift with new 33 x 12 tires on 17" rims. Here's the before and after:

Front end alignment:
Camber was 1.3 on left & 0.6 on right. Now 0.3 & 0.1
Caster was 3.2 on left & 2.8 on right. Now 2.8 & 3.4 couldn't move the needle
Toe was 1.3 on left & 1.2 on right. Now 0.06 on both sides

Drive ability is vastly improved. The bronco tracks straight and has a little 'drift' in the steering. My complaints are that the steering is too easy. I'm hoping that the steering stabilizer will tighten this up. Regardless, It's still a little bit squirrely, but soo much better.

What are the recommended next steps? TRU v TRO, 7 degree C Bushings, do nothing?

billh1289

Contributor
Loc.
Jackson, NJ
I got the alignment completed along with new Bilstein 5100's. I'll be replacing my steering stabilizer with a Duff's Midnight series. I also have a new power steering box, plus 2 1/2" lift with new 33 x 12 tires on 17" rims. Here's the before and after:

Front end alignment:
Camber was 1.3 on left & 0.6 on right. Now 0.3 & 0.1
Caster was 3.2 on left & 2.8 on right. Now 2.8 & 3.4 couldn't move the needle
Toe was 1.3 on left & 1.2 on right. Now 0.06 on both sides

Drive ability is vastly improved. The bronco tracks straight and has a little 'drift' in the steering. My complaints are that the steering is too easy. I'm hoping that the steering stabilizer will tighten this up. Regardless, It's still a little bit squirrely, but soo much better.

What are the recommended next steps? TRU v TRO, 7 degree C Bushings, do nothing?
Can you post a pic of the front end? What is the condition of the other front end parts- ball joints, tie rod ends, drag link, trac bar, bushings. Which ps box did you install?

66broncoCT

Contributor
Loc.
Torrington, CT
What degree c bushings were installed with the 2.5” lift? Your caster numbers are better than some but still on the low side I’d say. If it doesn’t have 7° bushings in it yet and your pinion angle can tolerate it I’d start there. More caster makes steering harder and less squirrelly.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Most and I say most not all Broncos with 2.5 SL's need 7 degree C bushings. Mine sure did.......I don't run a steering stabilizer. Never had it to the alignment shop. Set the toe myself. My rig drives pretty good.

Tim

OP
OP
WPS 73 Bronco

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
All of the tire rod ends, etc are also all relatively new and working correctly. I have no idea if the c-bushings are degreed or not. The lift was done 8-10 years ago and I haven't found any vendor markings on it to determine what kit it is. The shop I used to do the alignment thought it was all Ford parts. ??

So maybe i order some 7 degree bushings and go from there.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, as mentioned, post some pictures of the front end from straight on. The #s look pretty good. What tire pressure are you running? Many guys run too much pressure. Do you have the stock steering wheel, or switch to a smaller one? That could make a difference. Do you have power or manual steering? Good luck

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

Great news... one step closer

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
What tire pressure are you running? Many guys run too much pressure.
This^^^ When I had new tires put on the shop had them at like 40lbs front and back. Well it steered easy but was all over the road! I run ~27/28 front and ~26 in the rear with no hard top and it steers and tracks great. Just something to look at...........

OP
OP
WPS 73 Bronco

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
Tire pressure is 35 on all four. I installed the replacement Duff steering shock yesterda. Small improvement. I’ll get some pics up later.

the power steering box is a 4 turn, clock to clock.

Steering wheel is aftermarket 15”

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
What degree c bushings were installed with the 2.5” lift? Your caster numbers are better than some but still on the low side I’d say. If it doesn’t have 7° bushings in it yet and your pinion angle can tolerate it I’d start there. More caster makes steering harder and less squirrelly.
What he said, get some more caster in it. Also check steering box to frame tightness. Have someone rock the steering wheel while you are starring at the box from above. If it's moving make it stop moving.

Jim

OP
OP
WPS 73 Bronco

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
I replaced the existing stabilizer with the Duff Steering stabilizer. This made it better. I then reduced the tire pressure from 50 lbs to 30 on all four tires.

I'm pretty happy with it now. I need to get a comparison to how other Bronco's steer so I can get a better idea if mine is really good or not.