• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

stay close to original or mod it?

wmramse

Hey all!

Just last year I picked up a '77 bronco with low miles (was 66k now 72k) and mostly original. The interior has been redone in the original style, but with roll/tumble back seat and high back front seats. The body is in great shape, but the clear coat is flaking off in some spots and there are a couple small spots with rust bubbles under the paint. The paint itself has maybe 20-30 years on it, but it is the original candy apple red. It was partially painted years ago when the rear fenders were cut and steel flares were welded on. Aside from having VA a/c, aftermarket 2bbl carb, and a 6pt roll cage, everything else is completely original and in good working order.

Last week a buddy offered me a complete '97 explorer with 5.0 and 4r70w for $300. My bronco would be the perfect daily driver with the new running gear and would suit me perfectly.

What I don't know is how much doing the swap would affect the value. No it isn't bone stock, but everything done to it was with an eye on keeping it in 'orignal condition'. I definitely want to do the swap, but if it would decrease the desireability or value of my bronco as it currently sits I'd probably rather sell it to someone that wants an 'original' bronco and find another host for the engine/trans that I can build however I like.

So I guess my question is - will doing the explorer engine/trans swap decrease the value of an 'original, low-mileage' bronco or increase it?

Thanks in advance!

71 CA Bronco

Post pictures of your Bronco, so others can chime in. It could very well be 172k, or 272k as the odometer rolls over. Show us the foot pedals. You can usually tell by looking at the pedals how much use the vehicle has really had. The fact that the interior was replaced may indicate higher mileage than stated as well many of the other modifications you mentioned. Unless you have a pristine/collectible Bronco I wouldn't worry too much about engine swaps. There is a market for both original and restomod. It all depends on build quality. If it was done right it should increase the value. Shade tree shoe in job is another story altogether. If you don't feel comfortable doing a professional job then you might be better off sticking with the factory setup. My 2 cents worth...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Anyone can modify and restore it. It's only original once.

You are at that weird paradox where it has been modified, but they sound very much like period/vintage changes.

The 4R70W works best with the right gearing and tire size. Very likely you don't have that.

Do you really need a new engine? I recently had a low mileage F250 that was in the 60k range. Kept the original engine, just a little refresh. New gaskets, cam and lifters (didn't really need it, but already had when I found the cracked rocker arm making the valve noise), timing chain (really needed it), bearings and oil pump. Ran so much better! Heads could probably take a rebuild. Got it back to driver status. Already had an aftermarket carb, so did a Sniper to get rid of the carb issues (cold start choke sensitivity, hot restart, lost prime...)

Just saying that you probably bought that bronco based on the originality, most of it anyway. Are you sure you want to get rid of it?

Friend of mine bought an AMX many years ago. Found a clean original one. Started modifying it. Kept all the original stuff. Eventually it turned into a full blown trailered drag car. Chased the modification bug until he made it into what he dreamed of, and made it into something he could rarely enjoy. Lost the originality of it.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
What's funny to me is that when I got into broncos in the mid-eighties, I never once thought to myself is this mod going to make it worth less in the future? Of course, they were way cheaper then too, but my point was I built them to drive and have fun, mods were just to make it more enjoyable and or reliable. There was never a thought given to whether it would pay off down the road, in fact it was rather a conclusion you wouldn't get your money out of it if you decided to sell.

These days, I think the pricing and car flippers have taken the true fun out of these old cars for some people. It's still just a hobby and you should enjoy it and make it your own and quit worrying about resale value, well unless you only bought it to flip?

OP
OP
W

wmramse

I really appreciate the input. I did buy it for myself as a low-mileage and mostly original bronco and I paid a premium for that because it was exactly what I was looking for. I’ve driven and enjoyed it and done considerable maintenance so it is in tip top shape and worth the premium.

A year into it I still want a bronco for my daily, and for that reason it would make sense to update the running gear for the mileage and hp gains, plus fix the strong exhaust smell that follows me everywhere. I just don’t know if it would make more sense to sell this one to someone that wants the full ‘77 bronco experience. I can find another bronco that might benefit more from such an upgrade. It just feels like I’d be ‘using up’ a precious resource. I guess the question is, am I thinking about this all wrong? Does it matter that much either way?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
You are thinking about it wrong. That Bronco is already far from original. Anything you do to it to make it more usable and enjoyable will only add to its value. If it was all stock, uncut, original paint etc.. it would be a different story. Do what you want and enjoy it.

OP
OP
W

wmramse

Thanks
You are thinking about it wrong. That Bronco is already far from original. Anything you do to it to make it more usable and enjoyable will only add to its value. If it was all stock, uncut, original paint etc.. it would be a different story. Do what you want and enjoy it.
Thanks. I think that helps.

77Bronco636

if making the modifications to it makes it more drivable and will get you more steering wheel time then go for it! Life is short, enjoy it, let somebody else worry about value of it after your time is up!

Jsol

Contributor
I can speak to my perspective as a buyer willing to pay the current market value on a Bronco that can be comfortably driven daily. The engine swap would be a value add to me. Many current and younger buyers want the truck to look "early" but the reality of slower engine, limited torque, stinky carb fumes etc can lose its charm. Let's be honest, Instagram generation is all aesthetics as well. I don't think you are making a bad financial move. Just make sure you don't regret letting go of the classic driving experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Anyone can modify and restore it. It's only original once.

You are at that weird paradox where it has been modified, but they sound very much like period/vintage changes.

This, but it ultimately falls to how you want it to turn out when any mods, etc are done

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Make it yours...

140248450_10219143703009531_1129521938667804792_n.jpg