• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tire carrier support question.

Shortstop87

I have both these corner supports for what might be a tire carrier? Problem is.. it’s on both the left and ride side.

Has anyone see these used before? And if so..what?

Thanks
DFDBAE4-C-87-A6-45-DA-9134-394300-B17-D88.jpg

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Definitely not factory. And the carrier was mounted to the passenger side. Here are a few pictures of a factory carrier. Only thing missing in the picture, is the tire support piece. The piece that goes through the center hole of the wheel.

Attachments

• PXL_20210813_001338236.jpg
    PXL_20210813_001338236.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 43
  • PXL_20210813_001416413.jpg
    PXL_20210813_001416413.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 40
  • PXL_20210813_001409745.jpg
    PXL_20210813_001409745.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 41
  • PXL_20210813_001355718.jpg
    PXL_20210813_001355718.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 44

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There were a couple of aftermarket carriers, including one from Kayline, that stretched across the entire back of the bronco.
Most of which pivoted from only one side, but I seem to remember at least one that pivoted from both.
But even the ones that pivoted from only one side had brackets on both. One was a pivot, and the other was a latch.
Typically those styles mounted the spare tire in the middle and had either one or two gas can pockets.

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
Those might be a " Conferr " Spare Tire Carrier......they were an Aftermarket Jeep / Bronco / Landcruiser parts manufacture. Their Tire Carrier heels 2 - 5-gallon jerry cans....one on each side of the spare tire...

The left side was the pivot point, and the right side was the latch side.......if, I remember correctly.....

I will have to pull out the " OLD " catalog and check.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Those might be a " Conferr " Spare Tire Carrier......they were an Aftermarket Jeep / Bronco / Landcruiser parts manufacture. Their Tire Carrier heels 2 - 5-gallon jerry cans....one on each side of the spare tire...

The left side was the pivot point, and the right side was the latch side.......if, I remember correctly.....

Definitely could be that..

MThalfcab

Contributor
Living the Poor Life
Loc.
Yaak, Montana

I was 16 when I bought my 74 in 76, I bought it from an old man that trailered behind his motor home as he went to the Sand dunes, in the picture which I only have two, you can see the mount brackets on the driver's side which they were on the passenger side as well, you are correct as it carried Jerry cans as well as your spare, if I Shortstop87 and he wanted to keep those bracket mounts, I get the right ones and replace them! 490C393E-E46B-4972-8B07-C40860229699.jpeg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great picture MT! Even had a Stroppe rollbar.
Pretty cool.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Factory was always mounted on pass side so if it accidently swung open, even if the cable came un-done, there wouldn't be any opposing traffic hitting it.

Problem with those pcs of angle iron mounted like they are for a tire carrier is support. I would be willing to be there isn't the OE style pc mounted inside the sheetmetal to help support the weight of the spare and not cause deformation due to just bolting it to sheet metal.

My '68 and my dad's '69 both came with OE ranch hand bracket also. Mine was chrome because it was a "Sport" model.

Soylent

Contributor
Loc.
California
Factory was always mounted on pass side so if it accidently swung open, even if the cable came un-done, there wouldn't be any opposing traffic hitting it.

Problem with those pcs of angle iron mounted like they are for a tire carrier is support. I would be willing to be there isn't the OE style pc mounted inside the sheetmetal to help support the weight of the spare and not cause deformation due to just bolting it to sheet metal.

My '68 and my dad's '69 both came with OE ranch hand bracket also. Mine was chrome because it was a "Sport" model.
So this was if you had to have the tail gate down to carry or tow something on “the ranch” and still wanted to carry a tire?

IMG_7209.jpeg

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Yes, my folks did every time they towed a trailer... which was usually about 3 to 8 months/year. They swung that G78x15" bias ply around and bolted it up.

My L70x15" fit but added a lot of weight. :) My Sport had a Chrome bolt that held it on.

Last edited:

MThalfcab

Contributor
Living the Poor Life
Loc.
Yaak, Montana
Great picture MT! Even had a Stroppe rollbar.
Pretty cool.
Thanks DirtDonk,
Yeah I miss this one for 40 years, I only owned it for 10. My daughter hears about it all the time, lol! Later on that Stroppe bar turn into a full cage! I wished I could find the picture of my White 72 Sport, it was a mess but good bones. I had just finished the body when I had sold that one.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I was 16 when I bought my 74 in 76, I bought it from an old man that trailered behind his motor home as he went to the Sand dunes, in the picture which I only have two, you can see the mount brackets on the driver's side which they were on the passenger side as well, you are correct as it carried Jerry cans as well as your spare, if I Shortstop87 and he wanted to keep those bracket mounts, I get the right ones and replace them! View attachment 915265

Nice...