• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Project Huck - Build Thread

Jaybr

Contributor
The one in October? Hard to say this early. We have so many events to try and make that we have to rotate them out every year. I love that event tho and so does Suzy. Fingers crossed it’s in the cards!
That's the one. I'm in VA Beach and part of Tidewater Bronco's but have yet to be able to make it to the event.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Me too. I was wondering if he would ever actually build a Bronco...a cool t-shirt would make up for the difference.
Plus help him raise money for the build.

OP
OP
Monster Mike

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
That's the one. I'm in VA Beach and part of Tidewater Bronco's but have yet to be able to make it to the event.
We went last year and it was amazing. In fact one of my favorite videos we shot was at this event. Spectacular views and Suzy Duff narrated a lot of it.

OP
OP
Monster Mike

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Still waiting on the T shirt sales.
Me too. I was wondering if he would ever actually build a Bronco...a cool t-shirt would make up for the difference.

My Peanut Gallery has arrived! :love:

Well....Since Suzy is the creative one in this duet and she's got WAY more important things to do...I may have to ask the Ford Horsemen to design one for me 😂

Hey now! I'll have you know I am an expert build rebuilder LOL

OP
OP
Monster Mike

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Alright we've got 3 episodes of Project Huck out. Did you watch them? It is pretty obvious by now that this Bronco is NOT very capable or safe on and off road. This is one area I feel pretty confident I know what I am talking about as James Duff has a fleet of incredibly capable Broncos and I have had the pleasure of running all of them through their paces. Huck needs a lot of help to hang with the Duff crew.

I have to get on my soap box for a minute because some of you are probably driving Broncos that can't off road well and are not great or enjoyable to drive on the road but you've dealt with it for years or gotten use to it and just work around it. You may even say things like, "Well, I only drive it on road or I don't take it that far or go very fast in it so it isn't really a big deal." I call BS. Every one of us wants a Bronco that is capable. PERIOD, end of story. We did not get in to Broncos to make compromises or sacrifices! They are our ticket to adventure and out door life. Things that feed our soul and make life worth living. So if you are following this thread, I hope you recall the reason you bought a Bronco and work towards making it extremely capable on and off road. For those of you who bought a Bronco because it looks cool or because they're popular...get a clue or move along.

Ok, off my soap box. Lets dive into Episode 4

BTW....After all this testing I split the 9 inch axle housing at the rear cover on the weld seam. I'm going to take this opportunity and truss the housing. I found a truss on Amazon of all places for $73 I'm going to try.

Did I break anything else you may be wondering? Actually no. The Bronco made plenty of weird noises and I had to beat on it pretty hard to get it to do anything but I honestly think it was such a turd from the crappy tune and terrible gearing that there was some self preservation built into it.

It's obvious now, Project Huck is not your typical build. After all the testing I've done, I am not going to remove the tub and tear the Bronco down to a frame. I want to drive this Bronco!

Instead, I am going to identify the major issues and prioritize them. The goal is to fix the issues with parts that are extremely capable on and off road, and make sure all the parts I choose WORK together. I also do not want to do this twice so I want the parts I choose to be reliable and capable of handling some abuse. I can be pretty hard on equipment and you will find with quality parts that are installed correctly, you will naturally push your Bronco harder and faster as your confidence level goes up behind the wheel. This also leads to more adventures and making memories with your friends and family.

Instead of typing this all out, I am going to post a link below of Episode 4 and you can see what I came up with. Post a comment & lets talk about it when you are done watching.

Hallboss

Contributor
Loc.
PNW
Alright we've got 3 episodes of Project Huck out. Did you watch them? It is pretty obvious by now that this Bronco is NOT very capable or safe on and off road. This is one area I feel pretty confident I know what I am talking about as James Duff has a fleet of incredibly capable Broncos and I have had the pleasure of running all of them through their paces. Huck needs a lot of help to hang with the Duff crew.

I have to get on my soap box for a minute because some of you are probably driving Broncos that can't off road well and are not great or enjoyable to drive on the road but you've dealt with it for years or gotten use to it and just work around it. You may even say things like, "Well, I only drive it on road or I don't take it that far or go very fast in it so it isn't really a big deal." I call BS. Every one of us wants a Bronco that is capable. PERIOD, end of story. We did not get in to Broncos to make compromises or sacrifices! They are our ticket to adventure and out door life. Things that feed our soul and make life worth living. So if you are following this thread, I hope you recall the reason you bought a Bronco and work towards making it extremely capable on and off road. For those of you who bought a Bronco because it looks cool or because they're popular...get a clue or move along.

BTW....After all this testing I split the 9 inch axle housing at the rear cover on the weld seam. I'm going to take this opportunity and truss the housing. I found a truss on Amazon of all places for $73 I'm going to try.

Did I break anything else you may be wondering? Actually no. The Bronco made plenty of weird noises and I had to beat on it pretty hard to get it to do anything but I honestly think it was such a turd from the crappy tune and terrible gearing that there was some self preservation built into it.

It's obvious now, Project Huck is not your typical build. After all the testing I've done, I am not going to remove the tub and tear the Bronco down to a frame. I want to drive this Bronco!

Instead, I am going to identify the major issues and prioritize them. The goal is to fix the issues with parts that are extremely capable on and off road, and make sure all the parts I choose WORK together. I also do not want to do this twice so I want the parts I choose to be reliable and capable of handling some abuse. I can be pretty hard on equipment and you will find with quality parts that are installed correctly, you will naturally push your Bronco harder and faster as your confidence level goes up behind the wheel. This also leads to more adventures and making memories with your friends and family.

Instead of typing this all out, I am going to post a link below of Episode 4 and you can see what I came up with. Post a comment & lets talk about it when you are done watching.

Well said Mike! Exactly what I'm striving for with mine.

broncobuddha

Not very safe? Lol. That thing is in crazy shape compared to many.

You want nuts, I'll drive the mile and half down to the shop and you can drive mine haha.

Definitely loving the video series!

BroncoRebel

Maybe I’ll take it for a spin around the show field at SC again this year and l’ll let ya know if you did a good job fixing it or not…. 😂

OP
OP
Monster Mike

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loving the video series. Looking forward to see how it comes along.
Thanks! ME TOO 😂
Well said Mike! Exactly what I'm striving for with mine.
I figured there was at least ONE of you out there in the same boat ;)
Not very safe? Lol. That thing is in crazy shape compared to many.

You want nuts, I'll drive the mile and half down to the shop and you can drive mine haha.

Definitely loving the video series!
Ha ha I guess it is all relative. Its definitely a SOLID 20 footer :p Thanks!
I've watched all 4 episodes. Great job!

Todd Z.
Well heres Episode 5! :love:
Just watched episode 4. I would have listed the lipstick on the grille as the number 1 fix it item!
Really Gary..Aesthetics first!? Naw...I'll keep the ugly grill & wheels for a lil while longer ;)
Maybe I’ll take it for a spin around the show field at SC again this year and l’ll let ya know if you did a good job fixing it or not…. 😂
Ha ha Deal! Wait...what do you know!?
Agreed... Keep it up MM

Quit calling out Bax on FB would ya :) lol OR was that me :(
On FB? That was very likely you. I just ignore him on FB. The ole dogs in Florida are extra salty!

OP
OP
Monster Mike

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Well guys and gals. We have arrived at Episode 5 and it is likely no surprise that some Duff parts made their way into this video series.

With Huck sorely needing caster and the factory steering system being worn out, James Duff stuff to the rescue! Honestly, the factory steering is not a good fit for the 3.5" lift system now that it can articulate A LOT more with the Trex arms. I also want to go off-roading and not worry about a factory part right in front of the Bronco's front axle failing. But honestly, there is not really any other parts that I would choose here.

It's funny, I actually like the aesthetics of the parts as much and sometimes more than the functionality of them. I just think if you are going to spend a ton of time developing a part to make the Bronco better it better look good too. Early Broncos are the best looking off road vehicle in the world in my humble opinion and I cringe whenever I see parts that do not compliment those good looks.

I am THRILLED the exhaust on Huck is finally gone and replaced with a system that just works, looks & sounds so much better. This was a pretty straight forward DIY install too. So if you like being hands on with your Bronco, the exhaust kits made by James Duff is definitely a good setup for the DIY guy or gal and comes with tons of options and accessories.

last, can we all just take a moment and look at the stock rear tire carrier? Just LOOK at it!! It is a nice piece and the Hi lift jack mounted to the tire carrier is actually from my first EB I bought in 2010.

Screen Shot 2023-04-02 at 7.32.14 PM.png

I know the stock bumpers are not the best setup for going on medium to hard trails but this Bronco is not one I want to beat up or add a bunch of body armor too. I will keep it on the easy to mild trails for now which is plenty of action for a build like this.

If you would like more information of the parts used in this video, check out the description below the video (once you click the video and go to youtube) and you will find links in the description to all the parts used as well as links to the installation videos.

I need to get you guys some articulation pics and video now that the T rex arms are on. It is really flexy! Always shocked out how well the t rex arms perform in every category. The long travel radius arm was the end all be all for so many years but I think the T rex arm came into the spot light at the perfect time and work very well. Every 66-77 needs T rex arms at minimum in my opinion.

Thanks for checking out my "build" thread and please leave a comment. I don't mind criticism and teasing. My skin is pretty thick :)

MM

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
You mean you’ve been driving this? Do you remember how?🤣🤣🤣

Happy to see ya building something that not only is a show piece for the work that I know your capable of and on opportunity to have your very own to drive and modify to suite you😉 long over due

OP
OP
Monster Mike

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
You mean you’ve been driving this? Do you remember how?🤣🤣🤣

Happy to see ya building something that not only is a show piece for the work that I know your capable of and on opportunity to have your very own to drive and modify to suite you😉 long over due
LOLOLOLOL! Thanks Steve. I needed a good laugh tonight. I know how to get in the seat, turn the wheel and make motor sounds. Thats about it!