• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

DIY Winch Mount/Bumper

pocketlock

Interested in building my own winch mount that can eventually become a bumper. I bought some 2x4-3/16" wall tubing to slide into the front and rear frame horns. How deep should I focus on getting it inside the frame? I was planning on at least 3 bolts per horn minimum. More if I can find the space. I was planning to use a HF winch mount and either weld or bolt it to the 2x4 that will stick out of the frame and trim off the excess. About 7-1/2" deep for the winch mount. So how much engagement should I be looking for on the frame side? I was planning to trim down the rivets slightly for the body mount to get it in as deep as possible. Planning to use the slotted oval holes in the frame as solid bolt points, plus one on the inside of the frame and I may add another on the outside if there's room. Just looking for some suggestions. This will be a winch mount first and a bumper second but I want to be able to add some tubes on in the future to make it protect the whole front end. Thanks!

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
As deep as possible, but if you can 3-4” past the notches on the side of the frame you’re good. If you through bolt the frame and tube be sure to weld in sleeves to keep it from collapsing. Using the original bumper bolt locations and 1 bolt in the side is plenty, no reason to do a 4th, especially if you’re using 7/16” or 1/2” bolts. Remember the winch is only held on with 4 - 3/8” bolts.

Don’t be afraid of using Riv Nuts to bolt it together. It’s easy to Make a Tool to set them. The other 2 options are to through drill and use a sleeve like you would for mounting a steering box or to weld a nut on the inside of the tube, but it’s very difficult to do when you can’t reach it with the welder.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As deep as possible.

I'll drill some 5/16" holes through both the frame and insert. Pull out the insert and tap the holes for 3/8 bolts. Drill out the frame for 3/8 bolts. I also take the aircraft approach and use a lot of small fasteners to spread the load. The frame isn't that thick and prefer to not put all the load on a few large bolts that could easily pull through the frame without even stressing them. Multiple small fasteners spread the junction all over. By drilling through both pieces at the same time means they will be aligned when removed and reinstalled later. The tapped wall of the insert is probably the weakest part, but quantity makes up for it.

399strokerEB

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wasilla, AK
I made one a couple years ago to get me by. I'll try and get some pictures and measurements when I get home.

Attachments

• 20230107_215020.jpg
    20230107_215020.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 52

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
I did that same thing on the front and back. The heavy duty square tubing was test fit first by putting it in as far as it would go. Wthout a sledge hammer. Then taken back out and welded to the bumpers. Then reinstalled and bolted thru the frame and welded to the end of the frame horns. Overkill yes, but solid as a rock.

Same for the front, the receiver hitch was already welded in the square tubing bumpers. I would of rather flushed it up with the bumper face to not have that part sticking out like a mini chicken beak. I would of had to reach behind the bumper to pin the winch or tow point, no big deal.

Last 3 pics are other ideas from folks on here.

Attachments

• eb rear bumper.jpg
    eb rear bumper.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 33
  • EB bumper idea.jpg
    EB bumper idea.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 34
  • eb bumper 3.jpg
    eb bumper 3.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 29
  • front and rear bumpers 010.JPG
    front and rear bumpers 010.JPG
    209.1 KB · Views: 30
  • front and rear bumpers 007.JPG
    front and rear bumpers 007.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 33
  • New roll cage 002.JPG
    New roll cage 002.JPG
    230.9 KB · Views: 41

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
As deep as possible, but if you can 3-4” past the notches on the side of the frame you’re good. If you through bolt the frame and tube be sure to weld in sleeves to keep it from collapsing. Using the original bumper bolt locations and 1 bolt in the side is plenty, no reason to do a 4th, especially if you’re using 7/16” or 1/2” bolts. Remember the winch is only held on with 4 - 3/8” bolts.

Don’t be afraid of using Riv Nuts to bolt it together. It’s easy to Make a Tool to set them. The other 2 options are to through drill and use a sleeve like you would for mounting a steering box or to weld a nut on the inside of the tube, but it’s very difficult to do when you can’t reach it with the welder.
As deep as possible.

I'll drill some 5/16" holes through both the frame and insert. Pull out the insert and tap the holes for 3/8 bolts. Drill out the frame for 3/8 bolts. I also take the aircraft approach and use a lot of small fasteners to spread the load. The frame isn't that thick and prefer to not put all the load on a few large bolts that could easily pull through the frame without even stressing them. Multiple small fasteners spread the junction all over. By drilling through both pieces at the same time means they will be aligned when removed and reinstalled later. The tapped wall of the insert is probably the weakest part, but quantity makes up for it.

Great advice and lots of knowledge/know how here

OP
OP
P

pocketlock

Made the frame inserts today. Bolted in with 4 9/16” bolts. Trying to decide wether to weld or bolt the winch plate on. Probably going to attempt to weld it to give me a place to put some hooks into the frame inserts for pulling.

Attachments

• 92EAECE0-54C6-4BB4-8142-0E850E991D6B.jpeg
    92EAECE0-54C6-4BB4-8142-0E850E991D6B.jpeg
    281.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 9A6D3F54-4385-4EFF-A93F-3D3F70761B9C.jpeg
    9A6D3F54-4385-4EFF-A93F-3D3F70761B9C.jpeg
    305.9 KB · Views: 14