• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Voltage regulator 66-77?

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I’m used to the voltage regulators that are used on a points ignition system found on a 66-74. The truck I’m working has a 76 harness and a dura spark distributor with stock ignition module. Does the 75-77 Broncos use a different voltage regulator in conjunction with ignition module?

Thanks Jeff

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes and no. Or maybe it's just no.
I don't think they changed them just due to the change in the ignition, but around that same time we started seeing the I.C. based regulators with the lower metal cover, vs the older "points style" regulators with their taller covers. But I was under the impression that even though Broncos also got the Dura Spark, they kept the same old regulators.
There are several original-owner '77's here on the forums, and probably some '74, '75 and '76 original owners as well.
Maybe they can shed some light on the subject.

I just seem to remember all the Bronco regulators having the tall covers. Of course, that's no guarantee either, as for awhile some replacement I.C. regulators were coming in tall-cover versions. They could be had in either flavor for a long time. Not sure about now though.

Paul

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What Paul said. The original "tall cover" regulators were superseded by a solid-state version that matched the old ones in every interface respect. Just had a shorter top cover.. Has nothing to do with the type of ignition..and does not care.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think people used to call the short cover modern version the "Grenada" version because that's where some first saw them appear.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe some of the misconception was in the name "points type" when talking about regulators Gas Pig.
Most of the time we think of points as for the ignition, but in fact the old regulators worked on a mechanical breaker point system as well.
So maybe when we see "points" in relation to it, we think the ignition had something to do with it.
When it was just a change of the regulator from a "points type regulator" to an "electronic type regulator" in function.

Paul

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Got a ‘77. Definitely does not have a “tall” regulator…for whatever that’s worth.

Randy

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, my thinking was they were the same except for the older version I call a “mechanical” and the newer version a “solid state”. The alternators back then were all the same too. I wasn’t sure if somehow the ignition module was also tied into but after thinking it over more it really shouldn’t be.

Thanks for all your excellent info and support!!!

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, we always called the early regulators mechanical, and the later ones electronic. We always went with the modern electronic voltage regulators when the charging system needed service. The later electronic regulators are a bolt in upgrade, and they may last forever. Good luck

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I had a very original F250 that I sold a little while ago. It had Duraspark, and still had the factory tall points style regulator. It had the smaller 38/40A yellow stripe alternator, which I found odd since it was a camper special. I had to replace the alternator and went to a small case 3G 90A to keep up with the electrical demands of the added EFI. The Sniper kept flickering over/under voltage flags running the factory charging system with the points regulator, and the charge dropped off at idle, at night, in the rain, with the A/C running.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Are you the original owner Randy?
Do you know that it’s never been replaced?
Not the original owner, but the voltage regulator on the truck is only about an inch tall. I’ve seen “older” Ford regulators and they were about 2 1/4” inches tall.

Randy

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That’s right. But in your case, it could easily have been changed out from the original.
So we don’t know yet if Ford installed the low profile like yours has, or if it was originally taller, and was simply replaced by a previous owner.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Spent a lot of time working on my dad's '73 F250 when the regulator would arc the points and not charge/over charge the battery. We finally put a solid state regulator on it in the mid 80's and problem solved. I bought my Bronco in '89 and that was the first thing I did to it. No problems prior, I just didn't want the chance of chasing that issue with my new to me Ford.