• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

23 Gal EFI Tank Questions

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have had this tank for a while and have lost the instructions. I changed to a better sending unit and when I did I think I might have screwed up the connection for the power to the in tank pump. Seems to me there should be some type of insulator on this brass screw. can anyone verify that for me?

If I am looking at this right my red wire should hook to the bottom side which is currently a brass screw with a brass washer also. I am wondering if there shouldnt be plastic washers in there to keep it from grounding to the tank.

Then my black wire should screw to the grounding lug inside the tank.

Just seems to me the power to the pump will ground if I leave it like this.

Attachments

• 20230320_193158.jpg
    20230320_193158.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 20230320_194716.jpg
    20230320_194716.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230320_193249.jpg
    20230320_193249.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 20230320_194539.jpg
    20230320_194539.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
Yes, it will short out unless you have the insulating washers on both sides of the tank. What sending unit is that? I’d be interested to know how it works for you.

OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, it will short out unless you have the insulating washers on both sides of the tank. What sending unit is that? I’d be interested to know how it works for you.
Thanks, that what I thought. Now I am probably gonna have to search for 3 days to see if I can find them in my garage!

I got the sending unit as part of a mass buy that a member on here put together. I dont want to speak for him but I am pretty sure he got frustrated with some people that bought from him and isnt putting together any more group buys. I bought it a few years ago but didnt put it in till last fall and I have only gone through 1 tank before parking the Bronco for the winter. It seemed to work fine for me.

OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Anyone have suggestions on what type of washer or isolator I could buy at a local store? I honestly dont remember what they even looked like.

paco1076

Anyone have suggestions on what type of washer or isolator I could buy at a local store? I honestly dont remember what they even looked like.
Really any type of non-metallic washer would work. Or you can make them out of some gasket material. You just need to keep the metal separated so that you don't "ground out" the circuit. I would use some cork or a plastic washer.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Need a insulating shoulder washer, from one side, to isolate the thru bolt from the sides of hole and a flat washer on the other side.

2023-03-21_101430.jpg

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
Need a insulating shoulder washer, from one side, to isolate the thru bolt from the sides of hole and a flat washer on the other side.

View attachment 899195
Yes something like this would work great one one side along with a nonmetallic flat washer on the other side. You should be able to find those at a hardware store or Amazon. Bring the terminal to the store with you and also measure the diameter of the hole it passes through to make sure you get the right size.

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
Thanks, that what I thought. Now I am probably gonna have to search for 3 days to see if I can find them in my garage!

I got the sending unit as part of a mass buy that a member on here put together. I dont want to speak for him but I am pretty sure he got frustrated with some people that bought from him and isnt putting together any more group buys. I bought it a few years ago but didnt put it in till last fall and I have only gone through 1 tank before parking the Bronco for the winter. It seemed to work fine for me.
Is it a float or proximity sensor type? I’d like to get rid of the float in mine.

OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is it a float or proximity sensor type? I’d like to get rid of the float in mine.
It is upside down in this pic but you can see that there is a black magnetic float on it that floats to the top with the fuel level.

Attachments

• 20230320_194716.jpg
    20230320_194716.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 27

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It is upside down in this pic but you can see that there is a black magnetic float on it that floats to the top with the fuel level.
We build a lot of marine fuel tanks and started using those senders a few years ago. Much more robust than the old float-operated resistor type.

OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For anyone looking for the new style sender - https://northeastclassicfordparts.com/product/23-gallon-gas-fuel-tank-sending-unit-stainless/

I was the person who did the group buys before, not doing any right now. Nick at the link above has them in
I didnt think you were doing any. I also didnt know Nick was doing them. Good to know because I am 100% happy with mine so far. And I am going to need another for my other Bronco.I could tell you were getting irritated when you stopped and wasnt sure how i was going to talk you into making me another one😁

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I have a “brand new”(been sitting since 1999 never been filled or caps removed) NWMP FBR-1 set up for an in tank pump and Efi with the original floats that everyone seems to complain about. The float is brand new though, should I just ditch it and buy one of these?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've never had any issues (well, no "trouble" anyway) with any float type sender I've ever used. Whether factory type, or aftermarket universal.
Not only were they able to be made to work well, but after the fact I've never suffered a single failure of the float or rheostat.
However, even with all that I would rather have a more modern type any day of the week like is being discussed here. I think they're just better, but don't have any personal data to support that. I just like the basic design. And it seems that more and more people are happy with the type.
If I was installing a new tank, it would have one of those. So like was said, since you're still in the initial stages and waiting to install, might as well go with the "upgraded" version.

As I mentioned, I've never had a problem getting a standard float/arm style reading perfectly just the way I wanted. So it can be done..

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I've never had any issues (well, no "trouble" anyway) with any float type sender I've ever used. Whether factory type, or aftermarket universal.
Not only were they able to be made to work well, but after the fact I've never suffered a single failure of the float or rheostat.
However, even with all that I would rather have a more modern type any day of the week like is being discussed here. I think they're just better, but don't have any personal data to support that. I just like the basic design. And it seems that more and more people are happy with the type.
If I was installing a new tank, it would have one of those. So like was said, since you're still in the initial stages and waiting to install, might as well go with the "upgraded" version.

As I mentioned, I've never had a problem getting a standard float/arm style reading perfectly just the way I wanted. So it can be done..

yesss sir

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I didnt think you were doing any. I also didnt know Nick was doing them. Good to know because I am 100% happy with mine so far. And I am going to need another for my other Bronco.I could tell you were getting irritated when you stopped and wasnt sure how i was going to talk you into making me another one😁

gotta play nice right :)

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Ok, sender delivered today. It is slightly too tall for my tank. Not a huge amount, but enough to need to do something.

Anyone else had this problem?

After the gasket, it is 0.12” too tall.

I could add 1-2 more gaskets or find a thicker one
There’s a chance the one that came with my tank is thick enough but gotta get it out of storage.
Make a thicker gasket
3D print a spacer
Grind down the end of the sender

I like the idea of grinding down the tip but don’t want to mess anything up and maybe it needs that space to leave you enough room to run on fumes. 😱