• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4 BBL Intakes 5.0l

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Ok Guys I ask a lot of questions for a friend of mine whom I normally refer to as my Running Buddy..
So todays question is.
He has had his 66 Bronco for 20+ years . It's started with 200cid.. then We put in a 302cid. & a AOD .. ABOUT 3 YEARS LATER It developed some issue & pulled & replaced With another 302. ... Bla Bla Bla I know ..
SO HE STARTED OVER & had a 5.0L 1987 FROM a Lincoln Mark VII & another AOD ...NEW Wiring harness & every new part that cold be bought from FORD. .. It could just never get to running correctly.. 1st mechanic gave up. & It seems he ask or told every other mechanic in town about the problems he's been having ..
He's now been through about 3 or 4 more techs ... SO AFTER ANOTHER YEAR Running Buddy has decided he just wants to give up. On it having EFI.
& He want to put on a Holley Sniper system. on now & I can't blame him. What he's already spent is amazing. & He's not a Guy worth 3 or 4 million.
I'M AMAZED HE'S SPENT WHAT HE'S SPENT . .
But i'm going along with swapping to the Sniper ...
SO he wants a 4bbl Sniper .. He has what our area call the best in town . & Seeing the 40 + ClassIc setting at his shop ready for fine details ..
I too believe he is the best . .
so Buddy want me to ask what's the best intake manifold for him to buy & run on this His BRONCO.
NOW He's not in this for power ... Just good performance. a Used manifold suits him. .
He only drives about 3 miles to his business. at 40 mph .& He drive to one of the local cafes to eat dinner in town about 4 mile trip. & To the Court House & to his Church about in center of town. maybe another repeat of 4 mole trip.
& He owns a little 40 ac farm about 5 mile out of town a 60 mph zone . So he'll never nail it. Just wants good mileage... ''Not Applicable w/a BRONCO ''. But he wants it to start up like a new Bronco would do. & Then when he pulls up to a Stop sign he want's it to idle properly . & He wants it to idle properly with out dieing .
......... If anyone has a intake you want to sell contact me .
Motor still has 1987 Lincoln belt set up on it. HE Wants AC IF he can every get it running correctly . It has P/S & i BELIEVE IT STILL RUNS 2 BELTS .
PREFER An aluminum intake But he really don't care . Just that everything will bolt up properly .
Let's DON'T GET OFF on why don't he just fix it. Trust us that's been done.

...Thanks in Advance.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Tim are you sure.. I Sure haven't googled this yet.
But I would have thought the 1987 Lincoln 5.0L & IT'S an HO motor. Of course it was a EFI MOTOR & HE ATTEMPTED TO keep it totally 87 So Part would be easier to remember how to get.
He also said the boys at the Local Coffee with ClassicS on Saturday morning each month have told him the 2bbl is harder to turn in than the 4BBL.
BUT If your correct , again you could have a serious concern.
& Thanks for you response .

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
WELL THAT GETS RATHER CONFUSING .. I BELIEVE After googling most had 225 hp. But I'm not sure .an I think this motor had the HO on it's intake ..
... another question... I am correct the Sniper is the best one for what he's wanting isn't it .
I believe he's thinking this sniper will be slightly more like a throttle body computer controlled..

Quick & Dirty

Mark VII in '87 the HO was optional (LSC trim). '88 to '92 the HO was standard but it was speed density, not the mass air the Mustangs got.

A regular Edelbrock Performer (289 for non-egr, 302 for egr), or the factory Ford '83-'85 4 barrel intake will work fine with the stock cam and heads. The stock used intakes on ebay are fetching almost as much as a new Performer 289.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2121

The Ford Performance intake is cheaper(cast in China), but the carb sits about 3/4" higher than the Edelbrock https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-9424-f302

If you want EGR, it costs more. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-3721

Last edited:

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Found this....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Continental_Mark_VII
1987 the engine output increased to 200 hp. Largely unchanged from 1986, A running change late in 1987 production added the 225 hp 5.0L "H.O." to a limited number of LSC models.

For 1988, the Mark VII model line was revised. As the Mark VII carried a large list of features, the base-trim model was discontinued, leaving the luxury-oriented Bill Blass Edition and the performance-oriented LSC; both versions were priced the same. The 150 hp and 200 hp versions of the 5.0L V8 were replaced by the 225 hp "H.O." version; shared with the Mustang GT, it was sold in both Bill Blass and LSC Mark VIIs. On LSC models,

Tim