• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Went to trade my 88 Bronco for a 74 Bronco but ended up with a 66 Scout!

RPM289

I found a 74 Bronco no running gear etc but want one bad so I went to trade. The guy said it was rusty, he was not kidding nothing structural in tub was good, no sheetmetal either. All that was good was frame Ranger molding and another grille he had. I was saying it is too far gone and needs a new tub, then my buddy said he saw a old 66 Scout so I went to look at it only rust is in floors everything else is solid as new metal. Came with a rust free 1/2 cab top. So I picked it up instead... maybe I can trade it for a Bronco! :)

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Scouts are cool too! Bronco's are better...but Scouts are cool.:giggle:

Torkman66

Contributor
I had a 66 Scout for 30 years! Thing was a Billy goat. Could put it in low and crawl up grades with no problems. Heavy as a tank. I loved it and would love another one. Keep it and keep looking for a Bronco.

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
Not a bad purchase, I think with the scout coming back in however many years, the gen 1 scouts values are going to be the next to boom like the Bronco did

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RPM289

I had a 66 Scout for 30 years! Thing was a Billy goat. Could put it in low and crawl up grades with no problems. Heavy as a tank. I loved it and would love another one. Keep it and keep looking for a Bronco.
I would think that it would not be any heavier than a old Bronco, about the same size.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, but next time you're out there take a peek at how thick the sheet metal is and engine and other things. IH was a true industrial manufacturer!
Now, all that said (because I had a '66 pickup) it would be very interesting to weigh one and get the actual numbers. Maybe they're the same, or at least closer than we think.
Then again, this is the internet after all... The data is probably already posted out there somewhere.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Yeah, but next time you're out there take a peek at how thick the sheet metal is and engine and other things. IH was a true industrial manufacturer!
Now, all that said (because I had a '66 pickup) it would be very interesting to weigh one and get the actual numbers. Maybe they're the same, or at least closer than we think.
Then again, this is the internet after all... The data is probably already posted out there somewhere.

GTS for sure, google that sheet :)

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA

1966 International Scout 800 4x4

Curb weight (without a driver): 3208 lbs
Cylinders alignment:Line 4
Displacement:151.5 cui
Horsepower gross:92 hp

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There ya go. Lighter than an average Bronco by about 400lbs.
Thanks for looking that up.

OP
OP
R

RPM289

Some pics
3482e6cf3109cbeb20bd60c097027178.jpg

d26e6657b9de5fcf332569fa5f14c4ba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

RPM289

I saw today that IHI had a turbo version of my Scout.... figure it needs all the help it can get to get going. Anyone know it the factory winch is same as on Bronco?