• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need Confirmation of Proper Distributor Install on 351w

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Been a long time since I dropped a new dizzy in and want to make sure I have it right.

New 351w so I don't have a reference point for #1 plug wire location. Per several diagrams rotor should point towards #5 cylinder or the 2 o'clock position for #1 spark plug location.

Turned the motor over by hand until I found the compression stroke on #1, making sure both valves were closed then rotated slightly to get the iming mark to zero.

Dropped the distributor in.

Am I good?

Attachments

• IMG_2776.jpg
    IMG_2776.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2775.jpg
    IMG_2775.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2774.jpg
    IMG_2774.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Your distributor cap should have a 1 cast into it. With the front passenger side valve at TDC, install the distributor with the rotor pointing to the 1 on the distributor cap.

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Think about your firing order and how you want to run your wires. 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 CCW.

If it were me I'd point it straight up.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
New 351, first thing I would go get is the cam card. Check the firing order. It could be the 351 firing order or it could be the 302 firing order. There are more choices of 302 cams and often they cost less as well. They both fit exactly the same and the only difference is the firing order.

The rest of it sounds like you got it right.

Where the rotor is pointing at TDC only affects how clean the plug wires are layed out coming off the cap and to the plugs. Many of us have installed a distributor a tooth off and just moved the plug wires over one hole to line them up.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the info. Im running comp cams 35-512-8 that has the 351w firing order 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.

Running a Protronix distributor and no No 1 on the cap. Probably so you can put it where you want it.

I like the idea of putting #1 where I want it to keep things simple and plug wires organized.