• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

All in one bluetooth unit using stock faceplate

amfw

Last year, I spent some time working out a mod to keep the stock faceplate for volume control but add bluetooth connectivity and delete the bulky radio body. I was very happy with it and used it all season.
Despite being pleased with it, the mod left some things to be desired. In order to do it, I had to enlarge a hole in my previously uncut dash (in retrospect I could have worked around this, but it still would have been clunky). My original mod left out the stock black bezels behind the knobs and the driver side knob was basically a dummy though it could have been wired to something. In addition the volume knob was on the passenger side, just a little too far out of reach for convenient use while driving.
A few weeks ago I was contacted by a member of a FB group about doing the mod for the radio. I offered support and help and even to give a hand with install if he was local. Unfortunately he was too far away and a little reluctant to take on the mod by himself. He asked if I thought I could make the mod into an "all in one" setup that he could just hook up and go. It was something that had crossed my mind previously, but being satisfied with my setup I had just let it be. Once Mike got me onto it, I went back at it, aiming to tidy everything up and get all the stuff that I left on the table first time around.
I just got everything complete today with a spare faceplate that I had kicking around in my shop. This unit has on/off power, volume, illumination and bluetooth connectivity built into one piece. Power supply and audio connection is simple with a positive and negative lead for 12v DC and L/R RCA outputs to go to a powered amp. Really looking forward to getting a freshly chromed faceplate to put together!

there are a couple pics here, and a youtube link showing it hooked up.

Attachments

• DSCF3501-2.jpg
    DSCF3501-2.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCF3502-2.jpg
    DSCF3502-2.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
amfw

amfw

Very cool. Just looked at your original post. I wonder if one could save money by using a generic audio taper stereo potentiometer like these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DJ7H1YC/?tag=cbama-20. Appreciate you posting!
Absolutely. In the first setup I used what was on hand, the leftover Rockford Fosgate pot. But in this one I used a generic pot. Slightly different footprint than the one you linked since space is tight in there, but same idea.

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

Just for fun, I have been modeling the actual faceplate too, in order to see how well I can replicate it. I'm going to make some refinements to the model I made that is pictured here, and then plan to put a finish on it. I'm going to do one with filler primer and chrome paint, and another with nickel conductive paint and Nickle plating.

Attachments

• IMG_20221102_081400.jpg
    IMG_20221102_081400.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20221101_053804.jpg
    IMG_20221101_053804.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20221101_053820.jpg
    IMG_20221101_053820.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
amfw

amfw

Finalized my illumination design last night! Hoping to do an assembly and short video with a nice freshly chromed faceplate after work today!

Attachments

• IMG_20230205_201530.jpg
    IMG_20230205_201530.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
OP
OP
amfw

amfw

Amazing! What are you charging for this plug and play type setup?
Thanks! It has been a LOT of MOSTLY enjoyable work :)
I have fielded this question a few times, and have been zeroing in on a price as I have gotten more of these under my belt and finalized design, assembly and installation. When it is available, the bluetooth insert unit will be just under 200 dollars. To start, I will be offering this only as a send out service, to ensure there is no variation in the interior of the faceplates over the years and to make sure everything else goes smoothly. I am continuing to work to be able to supply as many parts aside from the faceplate as possible, to eliminate the need to find and modify stock parts.

House

Minutia Militia
Wow, that is rad, I want one!
Any leads on a tiny amp that will work with a single speaker in the stock location?

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

Wow, that is rad, I want one!
Any leads on a tiny amp that will work with a single speaker in the stock location?
Thanks! I run, and have been pleased with, the Kenwood KAC M-1814. Its 4 channels and likely overkill for single stock speaker. I have also had good success with the Alpine KTP445A in other builds, but it is also 4 channel and possibly overkill. A tiny single channel mono amp may be a kind of narrow use case, so I am not sure what you will find in that vein.

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

Update on this! The first copy out of my shop has been jn the wild for a few weeks now and is performing excellently! For my part, I am still at work on the website for instructions, FAQs, and retail. I have also added replica numbers and indicator on the top of the unit, so it can be used with or without the factory numbers part. IMG_20230401_205019.jpg

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

2023_0405_21442900.jpg
Been taking photos for the website. Really like this side by side comparison. Top setup is stock faceplate with stock knobs, stock glass. Bottom is stock faceplate with my replica knobs, reploca numbers plate and new glass. 2023_0405_21443900.jpg

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

Could you smooth the plastic by acetone ?
Some types of plastic can be smoothed via acetone vapor smoothing, but not this type. There are ways that I can make this one textureeless. For you in particular Duffy, I would recommend installing with the factory numbers plate. That is what I use in my setup, as it is truest to original. I am making the plates with numbers included for people who don't already have or care to seek out the OEM part.