• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4R70W + Atlas II questions: overall length, shifter, crossmember and more

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Anyone who has an AWD 4R70W bolted to an Atlas, I'm looking for a measurement from the block/transmission interface surface to the rear output yoke u-joint centerline. Doesn't need to be exact. Planning for the next mod. Yes, I realize that Atlas transfer cases vary depending on output configuration. If measuring, please advise the type of output. And yes, I've searched. Would like an actual measurement from someone who has approximately this combo.

Thanks in advance!

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I run that combo. I just came in from the shop. Let me go out and take a measurement. I run 1310 yokes. I had the atlas set up with the 6 bolt big round ford pattern to match the 4r flange. I used one clocking ring that added about 1 .50'' to total length. I will go get the measurement.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Ok. 43''. From the front of the bell housing to the center of the rear output u joint on the yoke. It's a great combo

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
"...And yes, I've searched. Would like an actual measurement from someone who has approximately this combo."

I've got those numbers on my build Lars... as I"m typing I see you have them.

Great guys on this list I'll tell ya! :)

Reactions: bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I went from the 435/205 then to the 4r/205, then to the 4r/atlas. I dont miss the shifting. but the 6r is interesting. I wonder how long that combo is? I changed to a true high 9 to help the pinion angle. I think that is a much needed item.

nvrstuk

Contributor
I'm with ya Bax.

Tranny combos- all in the same EB

3sp
3sp with OD
C4
4spd toploader
ZF 5sp
4r70
6r
The ZF& 4r each had a couple different doublers squeezed in there also.
ZF/203 with D20 & the
4r with Klune/Atlas, Klune/205
6r with Procase Atlas

The 6r is within 1/2" in length of the 4r70.

I have the measurements side by side in my build thread.

No pinion angle issues even with 4r/Klune/Atlas -
I ran this combo for tens of thousands of miles. Not one (really)- no ujoint issues with 14" of vertical drop.
Gary has run his ZF/203/D20 for 20 yrs and drives from Canada to Arizona Bronco events w/o any ujoint issues & wheels hard core! He got me started running doublers.

I ran a TruHi9 for years but grenaded two of them so when back to low pinion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lars

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Thanks guys.

My mission has changed over the years. With the NV4500 I just don't feel like I'm getting the most out of my new 408. Then I drove an auto-equipped Bronco last Fall (thanks, Todd!) that tipped me over the edge. I'm also going to trade my 4.3:1 Atlas for a 3.0:1 model. I just don't wheel that hard anymore, haven't for a long time, so that combo makes more sense to me. The 6R is interesting but the 4R is such an easy swap and I will have one once it arrives from Arizona.

This will be a long process; I've never touched an automatic before. Lots to learn.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
You’ll love the 3.0 and 4r. I find it’s almost perfect for everything. I have 2 of them and the one in the bronco has been used hard. The one in the J Truck is living the easy life.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Thats what I got. the 3.0 I like it.

OP
OP
lars

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Now there is the matter of how does one cool it? Shift it? What's a "torque converter?" Ok that last one is a joke but all I know is that there is a flex plate bolted to where I'd expect a flywheel, and somewhere inside the bellhousing of the transmission the torque convertor lives and it may be bolted to the flex plate somehow. Etc. Then there is the matter of the standalone controller (USShift) but that doesn't trouble me much.

Speaking to the driveline length, my current setup is about the same. Not too concerned there, and compared to the cost of everything else I'm doing, spending some money at Drive Line Service in West Sacramento doesn't trouble me.

Bax, are you using mechanical linkage or cable shifters for the Atlas? Would love to see pix either way. I've had mechanical linkage shifters on my Atlas since I installed it 18 years ago and they work fine, but I'm open to anything.

nvrstuk

Contributor
I know you asked Bax (you've seen/heard all my stuff) but the cable shifters offer flexibility for mounting, now or down the road. Who knows down the road, different tunnel height?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I am using mechanical linkage. I started with the shifter ( twin stick ) that they provide with the atlas. I wanted to use the stock transfer case hole in the floor. Their shifter is pretty straight forward on how it is assembled. There is a mount that has a boss for a piece of tubing. Tubing goes over the boss and a threaded rod fits into the boss and you use a nut and a washer to bolt the shifter to the tubing. Everything is easy but it won't come out in the stock shifter location. But if you get a longer piece of tubing and a longer threaded rod, then extend the 2 shifter rod lengths and bolt that all up. Then you can get the twin sticks up thru the stock location. Then all you have to do is bend the twin sticks into a good working relation with each other. It also helps if you have tiny hands for all of this work. Mine work fine and I am happy with it. But it was a pain in the ass.

OP
OP
lars

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Bax, what you have is exactly what’s on my current Atlas. It was a big pain to get working and I made (yet another) custom sheet steel tunnel cover to fit everything. When I was done it worked, and still works, great. But it was not a trivial project.

Brian, duly noted. I know nothing about the cable shifters. Not opposed to them. More research required…

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I am very happy with my original shifter location. I have a cable floor shifter for the 4r. It works good but it had to be pretty long and I was never really happy with it. I didn't want 2 more cables under there so I went with the easy mechanical shifter route. I really wondered if a push / pull solenoid could be used. Push button baby. But no.

nvrstuk

Contributor
I was going to go with electric actuators for my tcase yrs agonwhen I went with the 4r.

With an auto I was concerned about it still spinning when the actuator was engaged. Major destruction possibly so I went with cable shifters so I can quit pulling when it starts making that terrible grinding noise!

OP
OP
lars

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
What are you guys doing for a 4R shifter solution?

Photo was taken 6 years ago, at which point my shifter setup was already 12 years old. Scary. Those are mechanical Atlas shifters using the Bronco-specific linkage. I didn't worry too much about where they emerged. A bit further back than stock but still manageable. Transmission shift lever is for the NV4500. I'd be perfectly happy if new t-case shifters emerged in the same spot. Transmission shifter is terra incognita for me.

i-Xsmws4p-X2.jpg

nvrstuk

Contributor
I look at pics of auto trans shifters mounted way up by the dash and I kinda cringe. OK if you drive once/month but who wants to bend forward every time to shift? Might not be a big issue if you pull the lever once and then drive to the mall or town but if you're wheeling and reaching for the shifter to go from full auto to sport mode or shifting fwd to reverse like in tight spots or super sharp turns that's unacceptable. (I'm too practical maybe)?

I hung mine off my Tuffy console in 3 different positions over the 12 yrs I've run 4r & 6r auto shifters. Closer to the console section closest to your seat the better so you never have to look. When driving all my buddies Hot Rods they seem to like the 2' tall shifter handles and if you're sitting still it's much easier to try to find a gear than if you are pulling over a curb cut, bouncing around a little and it's hard to not move that long shifter to far.

What shifter you choose can also make a small difference on how convenient it is to grab your shifter w/o looking, or when you're bouncing around on rough terrain. Will you have a Lokar or a Winters with micro switches or a separate rocker switch for shifting manually?

I run a separate Carling style rocker on my console just below the padded top which is close to the shifter. You've seen the pic but maybe others haven't.

I didn't like my Winters when mounted vertically. It is much easier to control your arm or hand movements in a forward/back motion operating the shifter when driving than it is moving your arm when extended in an up and down motion when bouncing and driving. Just my experience

Attachments

• 20230331_173243.jpg
    20230331_173243.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited: