• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4r70w Transmission lines

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just a little help with inlet and outlet. Is the top port the outlet or vice versa?

Attachments

• 4R70w Preinstallation.JPG
    4R70w Preinstallation.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 49

badandy73

Contributor
Broncoholic
Following as I'm about at the same spot of my install and have the same question.

What adapters did you go with that thread into the factory ports, looks like they convert them to a -6 connection?

Jaybr

Contributor
Following as well, need to make some lines soon.

OP
OP
LSUpete

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Following as I'm about at the same spot of my install and have the same question.

What adapters did you go with that thread into the factory ports, looks like they convert them to a -6 connection?

Fragola #481670-BL at the trans. Then run -6 teflon hose close to engine until you get in front of header collector. Run 3/8" steel tubing on top of frame and connect to hose with AN tube adapters. Bend tubing to get in front of core support where cooler is mounted. Connect to cooler with short sections of rubber trans hose. You can also add in radiator cooler after external cooler at this point. Key things are to keep hoses and lines away from hot or moving parts and only connect to rigid parts (trans, radiator, cooler) with flexible hose.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fra-481670-bl

Last edited:

aisawalsh

Thanks for the fitting number, which port on the transmission is the inlet & outlet?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Which cooler line fitting on the AODE/4R70W transmission is out and which line is in?

On the AODE/4R70W transmission, fluid leaves the transmission through the lower case fitting, and returns from the cooler through the upper case fitting. Please note, this is NOT true for the AOD.

From my files... Taken of this website I am pretty sure.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just a note put some thread sealer on the lines at the trans. For some reason after several years the top line (input from the cooler) on my 4r70w just started leaking and it s a pain to get too after it’s in stalled in the truck and the exhaust is in.

OP
OP
LSUpete

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Which cooler line fitting on the AODE/4R70W transmission is out and which line is in?

On the AODE/4R70W transmission, fluid leaves the transmission through the lower case fitting, and returns from the cooler through the upper case fitting. Please note, this is NOT true for the AOD.

Yep, that's what I believe as well. Just wanted some confirmation.
Just a note put some thread sealer on the lines at the trans. For some reason after several years the top line (input from the cooler) on my 4r70w just started leaking and it s a pain to get too after it’s in stalled in the truck and the exhaust is in.
Damn....that's the truth. It's REALLY hard to get at those connections behind the headers/exhaust.

Broncobowsher

Total hack

I remember that the as well. For a transmission that is based on the AOD, they switched the lines when they went to the electronic version.

davebb

Hi all. I'm doing this mod also. Now that I know which fitting at the 4r70w trans is in and out, what should be the order from there? I'm guessing that first from the trans is the external cooler then the radiator cooler then back to the upper fitting at the trans. Is that correct? Oh! Also is the oil supposed to have a directional flow through the radiator cooler?
Just found this. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QvZi45lIr2WqquDkLlzFpLvaAYkik6k4/view?usp=drive_link

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That is open to debate, and sometimes where you are at and what you are trying to do.
For me, oil to air cooler first. If that didn't shed the heat (low speeds, not enough airflow) the in radiator is the safety cooler to catch the excess heat.

I also plumb my coolers for a bottom inlet and top outlet. The purpose of this is to prevent trapped air bubbles. Some coolers can catch an air pocket and the oil falls to the bottom without going through a lot of the cooler. The core only cools what has oil going through it. Fill the glass from the bottom and as it fills and overflows the air bubbles are pushed out. Not all designs of coolers have this issue, but I play it safe if at all possible and treat everything like it could.

There is also a theory that radiator last can put some heat in the transmission in very cold weather. Maybe. Again, depends. If you are doing cardboard in front of the radiator to bring the heat up, more so. Monster radiator and all thermal regulation via thermostat, doubtful. The water leaving will be nearly as cold as the air.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I went from transmission to under the passenger seat cooler with thermostat fan control. Did NOT want to deal with routing around the header and putting the fluid through a warm radiator. Simple to do.

davebb

I went from transmission to under the passenger seat cooler with thermostat fan control. Did NOT want to deal with routing around the header and putting the fluid through a warm radiator. Simple to do.
Interesting! Considering! But that's where I keep my jumper cables!

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It fit perfectly too. I think it was Atomic Cool from Old EB company out of Los Angeles (Rocky Roads?).

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I recommend hard lines for this. Most sanctioning bodies will not allow that long run of hot fluid transfer lines. I believe I used metric brake lines that threaded into the adaptor that was already in the case. Then at the radiator end I used a short piece of hose to make the final connection to let is vibrate w/o fatiguing the connection.

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
Use the hard lines from a 96-01 Exploder with a 5.0. Cut and re-flare the forward ends to suit your needs (or use compression fittings). They fit and work perfectly.