• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to buy Gen 1 Broncos?

OP
OP
exlaximas

exlaximas

IMO, the Coyote gets you very little over a 5.0 and it will save you $50,000 or more. An Explorer 5.0 will be as dependable as a Coyote- hands down. This will allow you to get into an Early Bronco for a HUGE savings. I run a Coyote in my truck. It's really just ok. IMHO it is waaaay over-hyped. I have built and spec'd SBF stroker motors for decades and I've run 6 completely different engines in the same Bronco over the decades and for a daily driver for a fair price go with a 5.0 Explorer with a 4r or for appr $2,000 more put a 6r behind the Explorer engine.

Hook up with some local CA Bronco owners who I'm sure would be more than happy to offer lessons learned from their ownership for decades to help you make a wise finanical decision.

Realize this fact- older rigs with new parts STILL need more maintenance than a newer car. This will not be the same as driving a "newer" car and maybe once a year needing some simple maintenace- it's the way it is.

Best of luck finding what you are looking for and I agree do NOT buy anything sight unseen. Make sure YOU get to test drive it for 30 minutes or more.
Off, that sounds promising. If a 5.0 can allow me to daily drive that would be nice. I hope that one day I could afford a CFB, but we’re going to see how that goes.

Thanks for the info and expertise. I will keep digging around.

RandallLG

Contributor
Yeah, I wonder where I can find one. Maybe I can connect with some people in my local area (South Bay Area) and glean some knowledge off of them.
I’m in the South Bay as well, my EB is up on the lift for a few more months for a coil over and 4link conversion. If you decide to build one, the shop helping me with the conversion is up in the north bay. It’s a smaller shop but they do top notch work including some sweet resto-mods.

Or if you need a second opinion pre-purchase, I’m happy to be a second set of eyes. PM me if you want to connect.

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
If you are in the Bay Area, you might consider making the drive over to Wild Horses in Lodi for their annual Roundup next month. It is likely the largest gathering of Broncos on the West Coast and would be a great opportunity to see a wide range of builds, talk to some great people, and learn more about them. https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/wh_event_reg
This is a great idea. A lot of your questions will be answered just by seeing so many Broncos in one spot. Take your time, and you will find a good Bronco in your range.

OP
OP
exlaximas

exlaximas

I’m in the South Bay as well, my EB is up on the lift for a few more months for a coil over and 4link conversion. If you decide to build one, the shop helping me with the conversion is up in the north bay. It’s a smaller shop but they do top notch work including some sweet resto-mods.
Awesome. What is the shop called? I think gen 1 broncos aren’t too popular in the Bay. I found a restoration shop in San Jose, but unsure if they sell restored broncos. However I am eying Vintage Steel a couple hours out. But they have restored broncos at around my budget.

Or if you need a second opinion pre-purchase, I’m happy to be a second set of eyes. PM me if you want to connect.
Yeah I’m down for that. If I see something on this website, will definitely try to leverage this community

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Don't call them gen1 to start. Early Bronco, Classic Bronco or just Bronco.

Read everything you can, try to get experienced Bronco person to help you look over with you.
You may remember there were about 30 active early Bronco enthusiasts that were invited to Dearborn for a preview of the new Bronco way before the public got a glimpse of it. We tried to squelch the "Gen ..." nomenclature but as new people jumped on board this Gen stuff took hold. It's out there and we won't be able to stop it. Just like the full size Bronco folks don't like the new folks calling the new Bronco the Big Bronco! That one is even worse! I admit I do use Gen 1 on occasion but never Big Bronco for Gen 6.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
You may remember there were about 30 active early Bronco enthusiasts that were invited to Dearborn for a preview of the new Bronco way before the public got a glimpse of it. We tried to squelch the "Gen ..." nomenclature but as new people jumped on board this Gen stuff took hold. It's out there and we won't be able to stop it. Just like the full size Bronco folks don't like the new folks calling the new Bronco the Big Bronco! That one is even worse! I admit I do use Gen 1 on occasion but never Big Bronco for Gen 6.
And I hate when someone calls a full size or any white Bronco "OJ Bronco"

4xfun

Nobody has mentioned that you need to be careful about the vin number matching the frame. It should also match the plate on the glovebox,, but there is some discussion about that. Take the time to read some of the horror stories about titles and vin numbers. I have never bought or sold in California, but North Carolina is very tough on these items. It is not uncommon for a body to get swapped onto a different frame and the title issues begin. Seems like there has been some talk about California factory emissions being an issue in some areas. Better people than me will chime in on this subject. If you are going to spend a lot of money on a bronco, take the time to make sure that you have a clean title and VIN. Check the search function for VIN numbers or VIN Location to see where the numbers can be found. Otherwise you might be buying a nice piece of yard art. This applies to any vintage vehicle. Good Luck with the search.

Jsol

Contributor
I've been learning all I can as well. Prices fluctuate for sure. And way too many quick flips that to the untrained eye can be a mistake. Thanks to this group I've dodged some bullets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I'd be patient and find one for sale here on the classibroncos members only site. It will be priced right and no scams or hidden issues. The 80 miles a day you'll want a 4 or 5 speed auto, or a 5sp manual, disk brakes, and most likely EFI but that's not as important as prior imo. A/C is actually somewhat hard to come by, I would plan on buying what you want and then adding A/C. Keep in mind most of the time A/C units occupy a lot of space under the dash where the transmission shifter would go if you were to buy a 5 speed.

yeah for sure.. Best of luck in your search, hopefully you got some $$ saved up :)

OP
OP
exlaximas

exlaximas

Nick's Trix's has one for sale right or at least they did, Nicks one of the top builders in the country and hangs out here at times. http://www.nickstrix.com/
Yeah, I am thinking after I get some things settled, I would speak with some people who restomod/restore broncos. Nick's Trix seems a bit out of my price range though. I do hear his busienss being thrown around a lot.

OP
OP
exlaximas

exlaximas

Don't call them gen1 to start. Early Bronco, Classic Bronco or just Bronco.

Read everything you can, try to get experienced Bronco person to help you look over with you.
Ah I see. Thanks for the tip. Part of being a community is also learning the slang. Thanks!

OP
OP
exlaximas

exlaximas

Hey exlaximas, if you are in the south bay aera you may want to check out :

ASC 4X4 11568 West Pico Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90064
https://asc4x4.com/

Good Luck!
Oof, the prices seem like a punch in the stomach. These seem to be selling for around 100k+ and more around 250k...I may need to wait until I have a bit more finances to buy one of those. And if they're selling for 250k, I may just go with Vintage Broncos at that point.

OP
OP
exlaximas

exlaximas

I've been learning all I can as well. Prices fluctuate for sure. And way too many quick flips that to the untrained eye can be a mistake. Thanks to this group I've dodged some bullets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah everyone has been super helpful here. Definitely will leverage this community on my bronco buy.
biggest thing too is just gonna be having the patience to find the right one, right price.
Yeah, I think as time progresses, some better deals will come through. Also, just learning on why certain broncos are priced will be super helpful.
You should see if 904 will build you a Bronco. He is awesome.
I saw this Youtube channel (I believe that was him), but yeah, if I can get something similar, that would be awesome. Will be going around asking restoration shops to find the best deals and run it through the community here.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
I would like to have a bronco that is:
1. a daily driver (80 miles a day)
I used my '70 as a daily driver ~100 miles plus per day for close to 5 years. Only got stuck once with a flat and no jack but that was on me, not the trucks fault! I'm old school and grew up with cars/rucks that had carbs, drum brakes and column shifters. These are simple vehicles as long as you maintain them.

On another note, have you driven a bronco yet?? Just my opinion but you can throw a ton of money into one and still have a pretty harsh and sometimes wild ride. Nature of the beast.
Thanks. @nvrstuk mentioned that coyote might not be necessary as there are some other engines that are more doable such as the explorer engine.
I don't see a coyote being an advantage either. In fact, if your not working on it yourself, finding someone to diagnose and fix problems that will happen may be problematic and very expensive.
If you are in the Bay Area, you might consider making the drive over to Wild Horses in Lodi for their annual Roundup next month. It is likely the largest gathering of Broncos on the West Coast and would be a great opportunity to see a wide range of builds, talk to some great people, and learn more about them.
Best advice yet on this thread. You're close and there's hundreds of great tucks from crawlers to show queens. The people are the best you'll ever meet and happy to answer any questions you may have.