• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1972 BRONCO SPORT HUMMING/WHINING NOISE ISSUES

OP
OP
summerlife

summerlife

Contributor
Ok thanks good to know. I'll measure them and the drums to be sure when I get home. I ordered a rebuild kit for the standard 2.891" differential carrier bearing size. From my research that seems to be the right six. I did research on 77 ford f100 and that's what it pulled up even with the 31 spline.. Should get my shocks and hydro boost in this weekend if things go well.. so prob not lol

OP
OP
summerlife

summerlife

Contributor
Ok I measured the drum and it's deff the 11" and the bearings are over 3" so big bearing it is.

Got all my stuff for the rear diff rebuild so shouldn't be long now until it's going down. The road better then ever.

Shocks are more work then anticipated... Always something. One side had a washer welded on because the threaded section busted off so I grinded the washer off and got it flush and cleaned everything up.

Cut a section of same thread type of a bolt and went to weld it on.... And out of gas. Lol I'll do it tomorrow I guess.

OP
OP
summerlife

summerlife

Contributor
Ok so update on t re-installing the third member and axles. I went to the guy everyone recommends and he only charged me 150$ in labor which is awesome. I got the new third member in an used " Permatex the right stuff" as others have recommended for the gasket. I got tall the geese and metal shavings( a lot of pasty metal shavings) and re-insterted the driver side short axles with no issues.

But when I got to the longer passenger side axle it would not seat all the way by about 3/4" so I double checked and swaped axles and then measured and it was for sure the the right way around. Called the guy that did the differential to get his opinion and he said since the full spool has no center pin that the axles won't be able to go in as far with this differential.

Luckily I work at a manufacturing company so I'm having one of the guys cut my axle 7/8" shorter and will bevel the edges slightly. I guess this is fine with 31 spline axles and he said that it only needs 1" of spline engagement to work properly. They currently have 3" of spline so 7/8" off should be fine and he said you don't want it bottomed out so give it a little clearance ( 1/8").

Will update with how this goes but figured I would post this in case anyone else has this problem. When I googled it nothing showed up no matter how I worded it. So if you have a shortened ford 9" with custom length axles made to fit a full spool and you switch it out for a LSD( Yukon grizzly) then you may need to shorten your axle/axles slightly.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the update.
There is a problem with this occasionally. But there’s also a secondary problem you might look into before you shorten your axle. And that is a secondary ring of splines inside some limited slip differential’s.
The grizzly is actually a locker, not a limited slip. And I don’t know if it has this feature. But it’s worth checking with yukon to see if that’s a thing.
If it is, then you may have to re-insert the axle, give it several twists one way, or the other, in order to line up the double row of spline, so the axle will go in the rest of the way.
However, as said, having to cut off a certain amount of axle shaft does happen. Specifically with ARB differentials, and I believe one other.
But I don’t remember what that other one is.