• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Door handles and latch!

badkarma

So replacing all the door components. Damn outer door handle adjustable rod is just a bit to long. Does somebody sell the shorter rod for newer handles. Bought it all from duffs. I assumed after all this time this bug would have been figured out. Every other rod works like a charm! I have it completely adjusted down. Thanks.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I didn't even know this was an issue. Unless it's the issue with the button being super hard to push on the outside handle?
If so, the trick for me was not a new rod, but an old button/lever. Since the reproduced parts for the handles are either made for another vehicle, or just made wrong (either one is possible these days) they just don't have the same leverage factor. Swapping the old buttons into the new handles solved the issue for me.
Of course, if you have black handles, that won't work well.

Or is this another issue with the rod being the wrong size? Is the new rod the wrong length? Is it the same as the old one, or longer?
If I had to change the rod length a little bit and no replacement was forthcoming, I'd get one of those threaded hex bits from the home/hardware store, cut a section out of the rod and thread the two halves.
Put it all together with Locktite (even if using jam nuts) and make it any length you wanted.

Just how much shorter does it need to be? Are we talking 1/4" or less or thereabouts?

Paul

OP
OP
badkarma

badkarma

I bought black but will swap buttons and See how that works. Appreciate all your time and response. I feel if rod was a little shorter it could work.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Another issue is the rods will bend and then be impossible to adjust correctly. I like to use the reinforced rods. Can remember where I got the last batch but here’s a comparison photo of the stock and reinforced versions

Attachments

• EE031110-8103-429D-9531-26CB9A8CC5FC.jpeg
    EE031110-8103-429D-9531-26CB9A8CC5FC.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 48

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
I had a similar issue with my recent new handles. All I did was cut about 1/2" off the end because it was rubbing the door. They work like a charm now.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
So replacing all the door components. Damn outer door handle adjustable rod is just a bit to long. Does somebody sell the shorter rod for newer handles. Bought it all from duffs. I assumed after all this time this bug would have been figured out. Every other rod works like a charm! I have it completely adjusted down. Thanks.

every other rod Whoops :)

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I bought black but will swap buttons and See how that works. Appreciate all your time and response. I feel if rod was a little shorter it could work.

hopefully you can make it work Always something

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
I ran into the same issue and just put them in a vice and simply bent them a couple of times to take up the length.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Same thing you have to do to the arm on a gas tank sending unit.
Usually needed just to get it to read above 3/4 of a tank.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

Get it all worked out yet...?

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
So let me add another question to this thread. Since I replaced my door handle and door latch mechanism, the rods now vibrate and chatter in both doors. I know I got all of the snap locks on correctly.

what’s going on here?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, if they didn’t rattle before, you were apparently one of the rare lucky ones.
These things rattled right from the factory.

Maybe you just woke up a latent aspect of your bronco when you replaced the original parts. Or maybe (as happens) the new ones are just not as good as the old ones.
At any rate, going into our doors and trying to silence the rattles is one of the normal procedures of bronco ownership. Sometimes it’s as little as some judicious bending something out-of-the-way. Sometimes going to the extreme of putting insulation tubing around, or hanging weights from the rods.
All sorts of clever things have been done over the years.

You’ll likely just have to open up the panel again (fun fun joy joy) to see you which ones are rattling and what to do about it.
Lucky you!🙄

OP
OP
badkarma

badkarma

Appreciate all the comments and interest. Sorry I have not responded quickly I get sidetracked sometime especially with the new 6r80 and duff monster 4 link set up, it is a whole new beast. I went back to the original door handles with all the new rods and latch driver side and it opens up fantastic. I will just clean up the door handles and get them powder coated. I can say it is definitely an easy upgrade that I believe makes my vehicle more enjoyable in many regards. No more worn-out latch issues or the door sticking or not shutting without a bit of technique. My wife does not need a hulk thumb to open the door anymore. Once I had it dis assembled, I had to PM and cleaned up everything else inside and used a little por 15. I put in some leftover sound deadener to maybe soak up some vibration. I am currently getting my door panel speaker pods hydro dipped in a carbon fiber pattern. I drove with doors on for 2 weeks and loved the difference so much I am redoing everything on passenger door. As it is coming in summer, I have taken the doors off and will just take my time with passenger door and get them both dialed in. Thinking of doing the electric window setup. never ends does it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
badkarma

badkarma

Another issue is the rods will bend and then be impossible to adjust correctly. I like to use the reinforced rods. Can remember where I got the last batch but here’s a comparison photo of the stock and reinforced versions
The kit i received Had the reinforced rod.