• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Spicer Ball Joint quality?

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Just finished overhauling D44 front axle.
New Spicer ball joints, 706116X, upper and lower, both sides.
29 miles since install, driving at about 30 mph, and get death wobble.
Drive home and start looking for what I left loose.
Discover play in ball joints.
Nuts are all tight.
Studs are tight in tapered bores.

Slop is in ball joints, can see it in 3 of 4.

Do I order more Spicers, or go with Moog?

View attachment 20230516_153858.mp4

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Nah, just take a MIG welder and weld it all up tight. JUST KIDDING. I’d check to see if the new parts actually were at spec first; then if they are, check to see if the hard parts are worn so bad that replacement parts won’t take up slack. Past that, I’m out of help.

Randy

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I went with NAPA premiums blue tops which are raybestos in NAPA boxes. Have served me well for years

Tim

OP
OP
Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Contributor
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
I did set it. . . but, I will re-do preload, cause it is a whole lot easier (and cheaper) than changing ball joints.

BUCKWILD

Loc.
Butte county
were did you order them from? lots online are reboxed or fake boxed, I order from Summit or known parts house

OP
OP
Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Contributor
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
JBG.
I will blame my mechanic, (that would be me) who may not of fully seated the ball joints when he pressed them in. He used to do his best work with a 4 lb. hammer, but in his old age he went high tech with a 20 ton press. 🤔

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
And they pressed in all the way? Bottom one enough for the clip and went in tight? Torque I think to 70 ft lbs which wasn’t easy when I did it…had to put a jack under it and lift and then hold a screwdriver in the top slot to snug.

Then the sleeve torqued to whatever gives you 25 or so lbs of resistance, then the top to 100?

Aside from that, I’ve only seen good stuff from JBG and to answer your first question, Spicer is good yes, that’s the original manufacturer, Dana Spicer.

OP
OP
Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Contributor
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Re-adjusted ball joint pre-load and tightened heim joint stud at pitman arm (knew I left something loose).
Will see how it handles.
Need to have alignment verified after cut n' turn of inner Cs.
Is possible death wobble was shimmy from to much caster?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Is possible death wobble was shimmy from to much caster?
I saw your comment about the cut-n-turn in the other thread on balljoints. What is your caster now after you've rotated things?

Todd Z.

OP
OP
Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Contributor
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
I cut and turned it with a target of +7.0* caster.
James welded it for me, when he set up the 4.09 gears.
Now that I can drive it, I have been chasing leaks, fuel (line), coolant (intake manifold) and oil (valve cover).
When gaskets show up, I will take it to alignment shop to get actual caster angles.

Last edited: