• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Shifter hitting legs

Dhutton

Loc.
Naperville, IL
I’m looking to buy a Bronco but the 3 speed shifter on the floor hits my right leg preventing me to get into 1st gear. The seat is all the way back and asking the group what are my options to resolve this issue? Thanks in advance for your help.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is it a standard vertical curved arm, Hurst shifter? Or is it the offset arm from Duff?
Both come up and curve to the rear, but only the Duff has about a 1 inch offset to the right.

Either way, you can actually bend it a little bit without even heating it. But if it’s the straight arm, you might have too much to go.
Sounds like it is based on your description.
When I installed the Duff shifter in mine, even though it was offset to the right, it was still too close to my leg. I simply pushed the arm and the shifter mechanism and bent them both to the right on the brackets.
Worked like a charm.
If you have to go farther, or if you have the Hurst arm, you may have to heat it and give it a pretty good kink.
But like said, it’s not that hard.