• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Manual disc brakes

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
I'm following these threads watching Audi's, Porsche's & Beamers cruise by while all food & coffee is at least 50% more ... Bristol, UK.

I'll have to quit my whining about high costs when I we get home. (Least for a week). lol
Hope You’re keeping it on the “wrong” side of the street over there! 😉. Less deer to worry about maybe.

OP
OP
ntsqd

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Your very example was what got me thinking about a cam follower at the pivot point of the brake pedal. LOL It will take MATH to figure but need a difference in radius from start to end equivalent to the travel of the master plunger. Ramp it in quick at first to take up slack and get some brake feel then taper the ramp rate up to full travel. Full travel so still high ratio, just maybe could be made to feel better. It would take some precision machining and be built well, probably not really feasible but interesting challenge for a good home machinist. If the cam follower had the metallurgy of Brian’s lifter maybe not such a good idea! 😱
Could probably build it to have a falling leverage ratio, which isn't a bad idea. In order to meet all of the requirements I expect that the linkage design might be rather heavy and a bit cumbersome, but it could likely be refined from there. The total travel isn't all that far though, I don't know but the rate delta wouldn't be very much because of this.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sounds like those were Compound E's. Excellent low operating temperature performance that didn't badly fade with increased operating temp. I remember them with the same fondness that late 60's era road racers talk about Ferodo's DS11 pads.

Had a set of E's on the front of my '79 Sub. When those were done and I couldn't get any more a friend with a 4x4 shop put me onto CarQuest's "Fleet Service" pad, which were everything that the E's did, but better. Except for the dusting, that was roughly cut in half. Now those are NLA, too. What they sell in it's place isn't nearly as good.
Part of my reasoning behind the brakes that I put on the FSB was to be able to use the lower to mid-level pads (No PF, ST, or EBC needed) and still have more than acceptable braking performance. I do have a set of EBC Yellows waiting for the Wagon because it is stuck with a sub 12" diameter rotor.
They were the poly D.
At one time there was a great chart of wilwood pad compounds and what they were, and were not, good at. I don't remember where it was at. Racer warehouse? Speedway motors? Couldn't find it the last couple of times I looked. And the available compounds have changed since the last time as well.

California screwed us over starting in 2021 in banning copper from brake pads. Too much copper dust on the sides of the road. Copper was great as it conducted heat away from the friction surface and deeper into the pad. This is new car stuff, but expect it to trickle down to service parts as the years go by.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
Friends have told me it's much quieter! :)
Are you sure it’s your friends? I’d be thinking your enemies might complain about the noise…but NOT your friends. Lol. 😂
On another note, how are you doing driving on the wrong side of the road over there??

Randy

OP
OP
ntsqd

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
There used to be just such a graph or set of graphs on the wilwood page. It took some drilling to get there, but here's the page for the GM D52 caliper pads in the BP10 compound:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There used to be just such a graph or set of graphs on the wilwood page. It took some drilling to get there, but here's the page for the GM D52 caliper pads in the BP10 compound:
There was a better chart in the past. It listed all the pads and gave rating in multiple categories for each pad. You could see which were quiet right next to which had good cold bite and which could take heat. All in one chart.

OP
OP
ntsqd

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
That would have been around the time I worked for them as I recall looking at that chart many times. I'm guessing that when new compounds were intro'd that someone in marketing didn't want to update that chart, so they didn't.

OP
OP
ntsqd

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Interesting that the Poly D pad isn't ref'd anywhere. I guess it's extreme dusting was a downside? LOL

That TX1 compound looks like a winner to me.