• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Speedometer not working

guidoverduci

Contributor
Loc.
NorCal
Finally getting around to fixing this issue. It’s a brand new cable, never got it to work. With one end in the speedo, I can spin the cable and the speedo jumps. But when I screw it in the transfer case HD output , and test drive… it doesn’t move. Any ideas?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have you looked inside the hole in the transfer case to make sure that the gear is still there, and if so, if its teeth are all intact?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And which heavy duty shaft set up are you using? Some of them take a specific gear type, most often used in jeeps. If you have that, then your original gear is not very likely to work.

OP
OP
G

guidoverduci

Contributor
Loc.
NorCal
And which heavy duty shaft set up are you using? Some of them take a specific gear type, most often used in jeeps. If you have that, then your original gear is not very likely to work.
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/early...20-transfer-case-output-system?Category_Code=

It’s the extreme duty assembly from WH. And I believe I ordered the new speed gear from WH.. but maybe I got the wrong one. I’m pulling it out now. I’ve disconnected the cable from the output shaft case and spun the cable, speedo jumps.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, it sounded like your cable and speedometer were fine. So something is not engaging with the gear.
I would still peek inside anyway just to make sure that the drive gear is installed properly. Should be able to see it’s spiral flutes/splines through the hole.

OP
OP
G

guidoverduci

Contributor
Loc.
NorCal
Yeah, it sounded like your cable and speedometer were fine. So something is not engaging with the gear.
I would still peek inside anyway just to make sure that the drive gear is installed properly. Should be able to see it’s spiral flutes/splines through the hole.
I tried to look down the hole.. couldn’t tell. I pulled it out. Here’s some pics.. maybe they’ll help. I will say, not that much fluid came out when I pulled the gear.

Attachments

• IMG_3225.jpeg
    IMG_3225.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3228.jpeg
    IMG_3228.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3229.jpeg
    IMG_3229.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 43

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, at least we can see that the drive gear is installed.
I didn’t realize that the driven gear at the cable end has an offset mounting flange. Are you supposed to insert it, then rotate it into engagement?
Maybe someone here will know if there’s a specific install procedure.

OP
OP
G

guidoverduci

Contributor
Loc.
NorCal
Well, at least we can see that the drive gear is installed.
I didn’t realize that the driven gear at the cable end has an offset mounting flange. Are you supposed to insert it, then rotate it into engagement?
Maybe someone here will know if there’s a specific install procedure.
I just insert it according to the tire size engraved on the outside of the flange.

I’ve been reading through the advanced adapters website and I think this is the gear for electronic style speedo and I needed the one for mechanical. They are orange. I’m gonna order one and give it a shot. All I know is the green one was what was given to me with my order, but perhaps it was given to me by mistake.

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like you have the incorrect gear set-up. This is from WH site ….

Your gear should look like the one posted here. Color matters on gear count so it may be best to chat with them regarding your drivetrain and tire size to get the correct spline count.

Attachments

• IMG_7421.jpeg
    IMG_7421.jpeg
    431.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7420.png
    IMG_7420.png
    290.1 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
G

guidoverduci

Contributor
Loc.
NorCal
Looks like you have the incorrect gear set-up. This is from WH site ….

Your gear should look like the one posted here. Color matters on gear count so it may be best to chat with them regarding your drivetrain and tire size to get the correct spline count.
Interesting. I just ordered one from advanced adapters that I thought is the fix. It looks like my original but orange and has a longer shaft. We’ll see.

Ptex199

I just insert it according to the tire size engraved on the outside of the flange.

I’ve been reading through the advanced adapters website and I think this is the gear for electronic style speedo and I needed the one for mechanical. They are orange. I’m gonna order one and give it a shot. All I know is the green one was what was given to me with my order, but perhaps it was given to me by mistake.
The numbers on the drive gear housing corollate to the number of teeth on the gear and not the tire size. You can insert that housing and rotate it until the speedo gear comes in contact with the drive gear.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
From your pictures that is what you would see on a jeep, and also what youwould see on an atlas TC at least the ones ive seen , that speedo gear housing is offset. if not done correctly either no engagment or partial engagment or to tight {= rapid gear wear,},, ,,, So just curious at how u had it installed take a small pocket screw driver and insert the drive where the speedo cable would engage gear and see if it will spin freely,= no engagement .. it shouldnt turn, do the instructions give you any info on proper indexing??

OP
OP
G

guidoverduci

Contributor
Loc.
NorCal
From your pictures that is what you would see on a jeep, and also what youwould see on an atlas TC at least the ones ive seen , that speedo gear housing is offset. if not done correctly either no engagment or partial engagment or to tight {= rapid gear wear,},, ,,, So just curious at how u had it installed take a small pocket screw driver and insert the drive where the speedo cable would engage gear and see if it will spin freely,= no engagement .. it shouldnt turn, do the instructions give you any info on proper indexing??
Yeah, I believe with that housing, that’s what the gear should look like. I think I just got the “short shaft” version. Good idea on trying to spin with a screwdriver! At this point, I’ve already ordered the long shaft gear and will be re-attacking this weekend when I get back home. We’ll see how it goes!

OP
OP
G

guidoverduci

Contributor
Loc.
NorCal
Update here.. Got the new gear. It actually was the same shaft size I had originally. So really, the only difference between new and old was tooth count 34 vs 35. I put the new 35 tooth in, but this time rotated the speedo housing. It engaged! Drove a bit, had a working speedometer albeit 5mph off GPS. Pulled the speedo gear to check it, it was shredding up inside. Not sure if it was just slightly off causing it to get tore up or what. Then I replaced the new gear, with the old 34 tooth. Speedo still working, still 5 MPH off. I opened it up to check it, and it’s still good, not shredding.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is that 5 miles an hour too fast, or too slow? The larger tooth count would have brought the speed down slightly. Whatever the percentage differences between 34 and 35.
But the new gear sounds like it was misreading slightly, due to the fact that you say it was shredding already after only a short time in service.
I’ve never installed one of those speedo setups, so I would be interested in seeing the factory manual printed procedures.

OP
OP
G

guidoverduci

Contributor
Loc.
NorCal
It’s 5 MPH too fast on the speedo. From what I could tell, although the first one was definitely misaligned, the difference between 34 and 35 tooth was too small to see. I only drove 20 minutes, maybe about 10 miles, and it shredded.

cbunas

I disconnected the speedo cable from the speedo and drove around while feeling it. In my case the cable spun and I couldnt hold it. Bad speedo. There is replacement guts available for the speedo.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I should have read this earlier, hard to read them all, I know it is now working This is a common problem that really isn't a problem just a knowledge problem and for some reason not well publicized. I'm going to write a thread on how to install the speedometer drive.