• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Older atlas 2 to 6r80

Hemmer

Hello so I have a older Atlas 2. Pre 2007. You can’t purchase a shorter 31 spline shaft to convert it for the 6r80. I was told I need to cut down a long 31 spline shaft. Has anyone done this? Any tips/tricks?
Thanks

BUCKWILD

Loc.
Butte county
Most likely a cuttoff wheel on a grinder will work the best havent cut that but other trans shafts. They are hardend so a saw wont work. protect everything around it cut it and clean in up well after it cools. might want to bevel the splines on the edge to clean them up and to help with alignment

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The 6R80 is still a distant dream for most, not that many actually in Broncos. I would guess less then 100 in the wild. Now asking about mating a 12 year old aftermarket transfer case to it? Pretty good odds that you are the first to even try this.

Do a bunch of measuring and test fitting, where are the limitations? If the transmission output shaft is shortened, how does this affect the transfer case input shaft and will it now bottom in the transmission case?

They do make spacer rings if you have to shim the transfer case back so it doesn't bottom inside the transmission case.

Cactus killer

Sponsor/Vendor
Yes die grinder will work, we just did a 4R70 to a 6R80 swap out, behind a coyote we did a while back using an older atlas (2005)
You will love the 6R80 it is awesome
We are putting one behind a 347 in a Baja bronco we are building now.