• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Got Me a New Seven-2

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Guess the wife was tired of seeing me mope around, being without my '66 since March, or maybe she's tired of seeing me troll the classifieds

I headed north yesterday to look at this Bronco and ended up buying it. First words out of the father-in-law's mouth "I don't know a whole lot about it, but I know he had to get another frame for it" oh crap here we go. Scrubbed and scrubbed that frame until enough of the VIN was visible to convince me...guy never heard of the frame VIN deal, been working on cars all his life. Told him I only knew from what I've learned from this forum.

Long story short here are pics, think I got a really good deal, I saw an unpainted tub sell for more than I paid just last week, best of all I'm back in the V8 world!! though I do love my luber six...thanks for reading

PS amateur paint job, and does anyone else think these are Chevy wheels?

Attachments

• 72FrontL.jpg
    72FrontL.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 747
  • 72FrontR.jpg
    72FrontR.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 685
  • 72grill.jpg
    72grill.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 620
  • 302R.jpg
    302R.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 661
  • 302L.jpg
    302L.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 612
  • 72Lside.jpg
    72Lside.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 706
  • 72transportF.jpg
    72transportF.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 718
OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
More pics

Attachments

• 72taIlgate.jpg
    72taIlgate.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 309
  • 72bed.jpg
    72bed.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 332
  • 72stuff2.jpg
    72stuff2.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 316
  • 72stuff1.jpg
    72stuff1.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 321
  • 72driverDoor.jpg
    72driverDoor.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 370
  • 72rearSeat.jpg
    72rearSeat.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 298
  • 72grill.jpg
    72grill.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 279
OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Thanks half cab

it's got lots of new suspension parts but is there any way to tell how much suspension lift it has?

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Thanks half cab

it's got lots of new suspension parts but is there any way to tell how much suspension lift it has?

Yes, measure from the top of the front axle tube to the bottom of the frame rail directly above it. Stock is a little over 7" so take what you have and subtract that from it.

Congratulations on your find! :)

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Yes, measure from the top of the front axle tube to the bottom of the frame rail directly above it. Stock is a little over 7" so take what you have and subtract that from it.

Congratulations on your find! :)

Thanks all!

Hey Jimmy I went out and measured, it was 10" on the passenger side and 9.5" on the driver side...I should probably mention this rig has NO shocks, rear leafs look pretty standard actually on 6 leaves? then i saw these body mounts...shouldn't they have bolts through them? lol

Attachments

• 72leftLeaf.jpg
    72leftLeaf.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 264
  • 72rightLeaf.jpg
    72rightLeaf.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 262
  • 72bodyMount1.jpg
    72bodyMount1.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 298
  • 72bodyMount2.jpg
    72bodyMount2.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 297

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
it was 10" on the passenger side and 9.5" on the driver side...I should probably mention this rig has NO shocks, rear leafs look pretty standard actually on 6 leaves?

Yes, standard style springs. Looks like the driver's side should be taller just looking at the gap between the end of the overload-leaf and the next one up.
Stock springs were either 5-packs or 6-packs depending on the package.
The bottom "overload" leaves are normally separated by a noticeable gap when unloaded. Only when the truck is loaded down with weight, or the suspension is being flexed are they supposed to contact. Otherwise when a spring wears out, the main leaves will settle down on to the overloads. Makes for a wicked stiff ride with that big thick spring always in use.

then i saw these body mounts...shouldn't they have bolts through them? lol

Yes. Yes they should...
Factory setups had the thread of the bolts showing out the bottom, but no nuts visible.
Aftermarket setups like these polyurethane models on yours would have a simple setup of a steel inner sleeve, a full length bolt and a nut with washer.
Looks like none of that is present on yours.
I hope there are only a couple like that! The rest do have the nuts-n-bolts showing, correct?

Paul

American180

Loc.
Mount Washington, Ky
If that was the one on Craigslist in Ohio, you got great deal! I'm about two weeks out from having the money to go Bronco shopping or I would have been trying to beat you there. LOL

PaveBronco

i saw these body mounts...shouldn't they have bolts through them? lol[/QUOTE]

No, removing the bolts helps with frame flex...

Nice find.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks all!

Hey Jimmy I went out and measured, it was 10" on the passenger side and 9.5" on the driver side...I should probably mention this rig has NO shocks, rear leafs look pretty standard actually on 6 leaves? then i saw these body mounts...shouldn't they have bolts through them? lol

That's to help the chassis flex! ;D

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Yes, standard style springs. Looks like the driver's side should be taller just looking at the gap between the end of the overload-leaf and the next one up.
Stock springs were either 5-packs or 6-packs depending on the package.
The bottom "overload" leaves are normally separated by a noticeable gap when unloaded. Only when the truck is loaded down with weight, or the suspension is being flexed are they supposed to contact. Otherwise when a spring wears out, the main leaves will settle down on to the overloads. Makes for a wicked stiff ride with that big thick spring always in use.

Yes. Yes they should...
Factory setups had the thread of the bolts showing out the bottom, but no nuts visible.
Aftermarket setups like these polyurethane models on yours would have a simple setup of a steel inner sleeve, a full length bolt and a nut with washer.
Looks like none of that is present on yours.
I hope there are only a couple like that! The rest do have the nuts-n-bolts showing, correct?

Paul

For the record I took the measurements on the front axle, I'll measure the rear this evening. Thanks Paul for yet another layman's explanation, I've removed plenty of springs over the years but never thought much more about them I guess. I do recall the old springs on my 66 each had a kink in the overload spring.

And yes ;D the other 6 mounts all have nuts & bolts. With all the new metal it occurred to me this morning that 'gasp' what if the holes in the body didn't line up and they just skipped it? :eek::( But in the couple minutes I had before heading to work I did confirm plenty of light shone through the holes. This was a restoration in progress for the past 5-6 years so I guess they just never got to those, being the most difficult to access IMO. I still have not talked to the guy, only his father in law to this point. Cool old guy with a '63 Rambler with rebel flag front plate. :cool:

If that was the one on Craigslist in Ohio, you got great deal! I'm about two weeks out from having the money to go Bronco shopping or I would have been trying to beat you there. LOL

It was on CL for about 24 hours, guy said he got so bombarded he had to remove it. I only got it because the first guy fell through. All he told me was "it was a very ugly scene" and something about the guy "told his wife it was a different price" yikes. He just kept saying when you get ready to sell your other one, "you better be ready"

I got a tip from a fellow member that knew I was looking, otherwise I would probably never have seen it. This is a great community, good luck in your search 180

Attachments

• midBodyMounts.jpg
    midBodyMounts.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 108

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Congrats Jeff! There’s always room for another, right? Glad the first buyer flaked and you’ll have one to keep you occupied while restoration on your ‘66 is still in the works. Looks like a nice solid rig, enjoy!

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
I'd say it's probably a 2.5" lift. One side may be leaning a little or wore in more causing the other to have a longer measure more.