• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Linex Overspray - Help!

ryan287

Loc.
Orange County, CA
I just had my interior Line X'd and it looks like there is a fine mist of something over the entire front of my Bronco. I first noticed it when I was driving home on my windshield, then when I got home I ran my finger over the hood and it has the same feel as highly oxidized paint.

As I feel down the sides of the Bronco it dissipates, and on the sides in the rear the paint still feels silky smooth. I'm guessing this is because the rear was taped off and the front wasn't. The paint is brand new and I'm freaking out.

Does anybody know what this is and how to remove it without hurting the paint?I haven't had a chance to talk to the guy, but I remember him wanting me to wait to pick it up so the urethane can dry. Is this a top coat I'm guessing?

I'm going to call my paint guy before I address the Line X guy, but any info is greatly appreciated.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
well, I just removed liner oversprayed onto a fuel tank and the only thing that cut it was a razor scraper and sanding disk. Acetone nor paint thinner cut it, nor did metlprep which is acid.

graniteguy

Loc.
Kempner, TX
It was the Bedliner. Not sure what kind of topcoat they would use. Maybe they had to prime over bare metal? Is there a UV coating that's applied over it?

OP
OP
ryan287

ryan287

Loc.
Orange County, CA
It was the Bedliner. Not sure what kind of topcoat they would use. Maybe they had to prime over bare metal? Is there a UV coating that's applied over it?

The bed was already primed from my paint guy, so there wasn't any bed prep required. I think the filament sprayed over the front might be a result of a UV coating they did. I'm trying to figure out what that stuff is in hopes that it can be easily removed.

AustenKendall

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Why not hold them accountable, and have them provide you with their corrective action. I'd be pissed and make them front the costs for repairs.

OP
OP
ryan287

ryan287

Loc.
Orange County, CA
Why not hold them accountable, and have them provide you with their corrective action. I'd be pissed and make them front the costs for repairs.

Yeah, believe me I'm pissed. I just want to get some information about this stuff from sources other than the guy at Line-X. I don't want this guy trying to take a short cut, if ultimately the repair needs to be redoing my clear coat.

Thanks for your help.

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
I would take it back to him immediately. Just so he sees that it was something he did. Given time, he might try to say it wasn't from the Linex spray. That's BS and I would be pissed off.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I would take it back to him immediately. Just so he sees that it was something he did. Given time, he might try to say it wasn't from the Linex spray. That's BS and I would be pissed off.

Yeah same here, get it back to him ASAP, see what he says. Hold him accountable..

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Usually the only thing to take overspray off is either a clay bar. If that doesn't work and it is a urethane clear is virgin lacquer thinner. Take it back to them, it's on them not you.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
you're pissed, right? before you talk with the Linex guy cool down and handle it with him in a civilized manner. don't rant and rave and I'd bet he'll fix it no problem. what business owners don't like is dealing with load, obnoxious assholes.

graniteguy

Loc.
Kempner, TX
The installer should know how to do it since they will inevitably get drift. My concern is timeframe. It would seem the newer it is the easier it will be to remove. Waiting can make it harder. You posted on a weekend and they were probably closed, but I would get on it asap.

dube

Bronco Guru
Loc.
big lake Mn
I agree, be nice. I own my own biz and when people come in and rant and rav I don't like it, but still kiss there a$$. But get it back to him ASAP

OP
OP
ryan287

ryan287

Loc.
Orange County, CA
The Line X guy was adamant that because the residue wasn't overtly black (from what we ccould tell), he doesn't think it was them. He was insistent that any overspray would be black and obvious. He was quite the talker, and began to get on my nerves, but the critical information I need is that if the UV protective coat they spray over the Liner is black or clear.

I did talk to my painter, and he said that he highly doubts the paint is in danger, and at worst may require a wet sanding, best case would be a buff out. Looks like small claims court is in my future unfortunately.

dube

Bronco Guru
Loc.
big lake Mn
The uv protector is clear!!!!!! I had it done on my f250. It was red rino liner that I had done and then sprayed with a clear uv protector.

okie1030

No, not really. Last April, I took my Bronco over to his shop for an estimate and while there, some guy (very angry) in a new truck comes flying up the driveway, gets out and starts ripping him a new ahole - overspray all over the front of his truck. Similar to what you described. Prior to this event, while searching for Line-X businesses I came across a website and read complaints for this very same issue at this outfit. Needless to say, I put two and two together and left. I am not sure what recourse you have with the owner, I would contact the BBB. Make sure you document the overspray, phone calls, conversations and perhaps contact the Line-X corporate office. I am not sure if that is going to help but it's worth a try.