• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The Coal Burner Bronco

OP
OP
O

OPCJeff

Loc.
Orange, CA
Awesome fab work on the mounts! Stick welding them I assume, 7018?

Unfortunately thats how good my wire feed welds look. If i could make stick welds look that good I would consider myself a good welder :)

I have a pretty big wire feed and I run it on hot so they are strong welds

OP
OP
O

OPCJeff

Loc.
Orange, CA
So with the engine mounts done I went to the trans mounts. Since the engine mounts were vertical I thought it might be a good idea to have the trans mounts at an angle to help encourage the engine to stay centered. Also the transfer case adapter was already set up for and angle so it just made sense. I started by using a piece of thin wall square tube to get my angles. I just cut slices almost all the way through and then bent the tube up . I kept cutting one slice at a time until I got my angles right.

Once they were right I welded them up

I then made these brackets for each side to bolt onto the adapter.

This is what it ended up looking like.

I had drilled holes in the tops of each side for a bolt but realized there was no way I was gonna get a wrench in there to tighten them so I had to drill big enough holes in the bottom to fit a socket

For the frame side I made these brackets. They used the factory rear two holes from the stock brackets so I only had to drill and add thread inserts to two more holes on each side

Once I got it all done I realized that I just removed the crossmember that was structural to the chassis. So I had to make a new crossmember. I used a piece of cardboard to figure out what I wanted and then made it out of steel

This bolts onto the frame side of the transmission mount brackets and also hangs low enough so I can eventually add a skid plate to it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

OPCJeff

Loc.
Orange, CA
Once I got all of the mounts done it didnt take very long to figure out that my front driveshaft was going to hit the engine and trans pans. I wish I had foreseen the diesel before I got the HP frontend but it is what it is. So here's how I went about cutting up the pans. I thought the easiest way would be to take a piece of flat stock and bend in into a 90. The I was able to use a sharpie to outline the exact shape of the pan on each side. This worked out really well and didnt leave me with a bunch of extra welds and special pieces that needed to be cut. I just had to make sure I cut the pans in a straight line.
Heres the engine oil pan

You can see here where I outlined the pan.

And getting tig welded.

And same thing on the trans oil pan

And all welded up. Gotta say thanks to my buddy Dave for helping with the tig welding. we had no leaks on both pans on the first try so he did an awesome job. And they look good too!

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

OPCJeff

Loc.
Orange, CA
Well its been a while now and I've been driving the Bronco like crazy, using it like it should be used and its finally showing some issues. I've been putting it off for a while but its time to get back on it.

I took it up to MOAB and i found that the track bar is hitting the oil pan when the passenger tire comes up. So I guess Im gonna have to make a new track bar. Fortunately I have a friend with a forklift to help me figure it out :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

OPCJeff

Loc.
Orange, CA
One thing thats been bugging me is that I've had a new Ron Francis wiring harness that I've been itching to put in so last week I finally got around to installing it. As you can see the rats nest of wires under the dash was extreme. I'd like to eventually get my overhead console up and running but I wanted to get the wiring worked out first. And I really need to get gauges so this will make the install a little easier and cleaner i think

Everywhere I looked there was more and more wires. The old harness was good but the Ron Francis wiring harness let me route the wires where I wanted and it also gives more spots to hook up accessories that this harness was lacking. Which is exactly why there was such a mess under the dash because I had to splice into it to get power for different things and over time it turned into this

As you all know under the dash is a little tight on the Bronco so I took out the air intake box so I'd have more room to work with and it helped A LOT

Here's the Ron Francis Harness Kit I bought. I believe its their express kit so it doesn’t have some specific connectors that are stock to the Bronco but it has a bunch of other features that I think are gonna make my life way easier when I start hooking up accessories. And even hooking up the transmission control was a pleasant experience

This is the fuse block and the only spots that are used for the majority of the wiring are on the bottom. All the side connection spots are for accessories like fans or power for my CB or whatever I want :)

Last edited:

thorgan

Would love to know what kind of fuel economy you're getting with that 4BT. What are you using to control the transmission?

I'm too sentimental about the big grumbling stroker 351 I've got in my '69 to consider swapping to a diesel but I have toyed with the idea of an old Scout 80 with the new Cummins 2.8 as a commuter.

OP
OP
O

OPCJeff

Loc.
Orange, CA
The best mpg so far has been 24.5 on a trip to san diego and back. Im in orange county,ca. Since then I've tried messing with the pump to get some more power and though ive gotten a little bit more power my mpg went down. last i checked I had 16.5 city driving only. My adjustsments just caused me to burn fuel with really not enough power gains to make it worth it. There are many ways to fix this problem and I have all the parts to do it. More power plus better mpg

I hear you on the small block. I had a 347 stroker in it before and it was a lot more fun but when the wifey got pregnant I had to make a decision on if I could drive it everyday or not. So I went to a buddies house and tried his car seats in the back and they both fit so I built a new "family" roll cage and put the diesel in. I drive it every day and love it. The kids love it too so its all good.

Would love to know what kind of fuel economy you're getting with that 4BT. What are you using to control the transmission?

I'm too sentimental about the big grumbling stroker 351 I've got in my '69 to consider swapping to a diesel but I have toyed with the idea of an old Scout 80 with the new Cummins 2.8 as a commuter.

OP
OP
O

OPCJeff

Loc.
Orange, CA
Sorry didnt answer your trans controller question. I use a PCS controller and it works pretty well. I have some pics on the install I will post them up.

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
Always impresses the hell out of me when guys go major modifications to a truck. Beyond my skill level and knowledge to attempt. Good looking truck btw!

OP
OP
O

OPCJeff

Loc.
Orange, CA
Always impresses the hell out of me when guys go major modifications to a truck. Beyond my skill level and knowledge to attempt. Good looking truck btw!

Oh come on now. You can do it too!. I literally learned how to weld during this project. I've found that all you need is a 4.5" grinder with cut off wheels and flapper sand discs to do almost anything. Of course a few good skilled friends doesnt hurt to get you out of a bind. :)

thorgan

I decided to take on full-width axles and airbag suspension while learning to weld. Then, years later, I found myself out of work and applying for a job as a welder. I decided that, if given the opportunity for an interview, I would drive the Bronco to the interview and use it as a demonstration of my work. Then, if I didn't get the job, I'd drive straight home and redo all my welds.

Sadly, I never got the call...or the critique...and I'm too afraid to post pictures of my welds.
;)

OP
OP
O

OPCJeff

Loc.
Orange, CA
I decided to take on full-width axles and airbag suspension while learning to weld. Then, years later, I found myself out of work and applying for a job as a welder. I decided that, if given the opportunity for an interview, I would drive the Bronco to the interview and use it as a demonstration of my work. Then, if I didn't get the job, I'd drive straight home and redo all my welds.

Sadly, I never got the call...or the critique...and I'm too afraid to post pictures of my welds.
;)

Haha thats one way to get a critique of your quality. I dont think I'd have the guts to show off for an interview. But I know my welds arent nearly as nice as the stuff I buy

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
Thanks! It took six months total but I got buried with work and didnt touch it for two months. So four months

Wow not bad at all!! You going to Fabulous Ford Forever? It's not till April I believe. Would be cool to see your bronco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
O

OPCJeff

Loc.
Orange, CA
Wow not bad at all!! You going to Fabulous Ford Forever? It's not till April I believe. Would be cool to see your bronco.

Yah not too bad. And I had the engine in and out so many times its not funny. But I've realized that the only way to get something done is to go both feet. As soon as I cut the old engine mount towers off it was game on :)

I will be there but I usually dont enter a car because I dont usually like hanging out all day. But maybe this year I will make an exception

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
Yah not too bad. And I had the engine in and out so many times its not funny. But I've realized that the only way to get something done is to go both feet. As soon as I cut the old engine mount towers off it was game on :)

I will be there but I usually dont enter a car because I dont usually like hanging out all day. But maybe this year I will make an exception

People usually cut something and leave it for a long time unworked on lol.
Ya I'm for the same reason too. Morning to evening is kinda a long day.