• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Military Bronco History

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I was the commanders driver at a Maint. Bn in Idar Oberstien Germany back in 1970.
We had a pair of Broncos. Mine stood tall. It was sedan olive green. It sure beat an M-151
jeep. We seldom drove off pavement. Give me an email address and I will forward pictures.

Hahn AFB 88 - 90 for me back in not so early day :)

Pech33

Just Posted Pics of 67 Bronco, former US Army #5852

Posted on Photo Gallery for Pech33. Comment please. My son says it is worth at least $20,000. Is that possible? It's not for sale, he says, but then again, it is mine!:cool:

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
The original post in this thread lists 120 military Broncos but the Martis that Chris posted and another I have seen list 590 from the 83 Govt. DSO for '67. What is the explanation for the disparity between the two numbers?

Thanks,
Todd Z.

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would guess not only military went to a gov DSO. Other federal agencies went to that DSO as well?

Attachments

• B95B941F-47F9-4A3C-8D71-8E2F38BCC7B8.jpg
    B95B941F-47F9-4A3C-8D71-8E2F38BCC7B8.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 58

Tony Honea

U13 Marti report

If my Marti Report says under Your vehicle was equipped with the following features,- Glassed and Framed Doors- but says nothing about a top does that mean it didn't come with one? Thanks,, I'm just getting started and this forum is a great help.

slim811

Contributor
If my Marti Report says under Your vehicle was equipped with the following features,- Glassed and Framed Doors- but says nothing about a top does that mean it didn't come with one? Thanks,, I'm just getting started and this forum is a great help.

Hi Tony and Welcome! You may have a roadster. Are the first 3 VIN digits start with U13?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
. If you are interested in getting a copy of the information below to share with friends, family, and other Bronco owners,or for your own personal collection please let me know and I will send you a PDF file, copy of this information for you to print.

Pic2.jpg

Great thread!! I would be interested in whatever you are willing to share jnsmassey@gmail.com thank you

...With research it was found that these trucks did see use at Wright Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio Rainbow City Army Base, Panama Fort Bragg Army Base, North Carolina Guantanamo Naval Base, Cuba Concord Naval Base, California Keyport Naval Base, Washington. And it is believed that these tucks were in use from 67- the 80’s

I work at Wright-Patt so I may start going on hunting trips on my lunch break ;D

Every time I go to my local yard there are a couple vehicles I just sit and stare at, wishing I could bring them back to life...a USMC Fairlane and an AF Falcon/Econoline van.

I did not realize so many members owned military Broncos, i'd been thinking they were all lost or left overseas to rot. thanks again -Jeff

Attachments

• USMCFairlane.jpg
    USMCFairlane.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 86

Tony Honea

hey Slim , I just found out how to reply, sorry,, yes it is a U13 roadster and military, I haven't found out which branch it served yet. I have been looking at lots of pics and all the front bumpers I see have curved ends,, mine are straight, aftermarket maybe? I know the previous owner made the back bumper. I listed it with U13roadster web site if you can look at my bumper and see what you think,, thanks

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
hey Slim , I just found out how to reply, sorry,, yes it is a U13 roadster and military, I haven't found out which branch it served yet. I have been looking at lots of pics and all the front bumpers I see have curved ends,, mine are straight, aftermarket maybe? I know the previous owner made the back bumper. I listed it with U13roadster web site if you can look at my bumper and see what you think,, thanks

I take it that there's not a military ID plaque on the dash? If possible check up under the dash with a flashlight and look up as far as you can see for the original color remaining. If the dash has been swapped or removed for paint, it won't help but that's the most reliable place to find original paint imo. Hopefully there's a military color there still.

Cookcharles121

Is there anyway to get the tag that tell what branch my u13 was in recreated. How do I get more info on this bronco it is a u13 special prided with full doors for the governments

Roger Dodger

I also seem to have an unknown bronco u13. I need help to determine if it's a military version. The frame is stamped u13fl732355, indicating it is one of the first made, however like some of the other posters on this forum, the body seems to be a later model. Does anyone know why? Or how I can substantiate my belief that this is a military vehicle? i woul be happy to post photos if requested or you mail email me at appraisalexpress@protonmail.com. thanks for any help you may be able to give.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I also seem to have an unknown bronco u13. I need help to determine if it's a military version. The frame is stamped u13fl732355, indicating it is one of the first made, however like some of the other posters on this forum, the body seems to be a later model. Does anyone know why? Or how I can substantiate my belief that this is a military vehicle? i woul be happy to post photos if requested or you mail email me at appraisalexpress@protonmail.com. thanks for any help you may be able to give.

Welcome and yes it's pretty early! That would move into the #26 spot on our list. Military wise, what's your DSO code? 83?

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218144

Roger Dodger

Hello and thanks for the response. The only numbers I found on the Bronco are the frame numbers as I indicated. I'm still looking for any other numbers there is nothing on the glove box door. Or on the driver's door column around the striker plate. Unfortunately someone has cut the dash to install an aftermarket radio so I can't tell if there are four holes there. Or perhaps they installed this radio in that larger hole area to cover the four drilled holes. In addition someone suggested looking behind the dash for original color I will do that the next time I'm where my vehicle is that's a great idea and thank you for that suggestion. I read in this thread that someone had gotten a marti report for a 67 that was actually a 66 frame does anyone know if it would be possible for me to obtain the same information although I do not have the 67 military serial number? Also I would be curious to know the serial number of that particular U13 to see if it's anywhere near my 732355 number. All I have is the 66 U13 frame number. And again like I stated it seems to have a later model body or at least parts of a later model body. Some of the other posters had indicated their u13s had this same dilemma with later mismatched bodies. A photo of the first Bronco owned by Carroll Shelby shows a badge that looks like the sport badge but the photo is unclear mine has a similar badge can anyone enlighten me on this? Also Navy Bronco 66 I would appreciate a PDF copy of your research for my own personal amusement and I do appreciate the time you've taken in this research. I intend to sell my 66 Bronco also have a 76 Bronco Ranger. I was just hoping to substantiate the heritage of this 66 before I priced it if anyone's interested send me an email thank you. When I figure out how to do drop bucket or one of those online picture servers I will post that link here until then if anyone would like photos of this Bronco send an email to me thank you

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
The warranty badge that's found on the glove box door of 68-77' years, is found on the driver kick panel by the emergency brake on 66' and 67'. There were no Marti Reports available for 66', only 67' and newer. There wasn't a "military serial number", the military ID was just the serial number given by Ford. Sport packages were available 67-77'.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Anyone seen a plate like this before? This is on a the door jam of a local '67 Bronco. The dash is gone but the colors in the tub indicate it was a military truck.

Todd Z.

Attachments

• Marines.jpg
    Marines.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 66

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Anyone seen a plate like this before? This is on a the door jam of a local '67 Bronco. The dash is gone but the colors in the tub indicate it was a military truck.

Todd Z.

That's the only one, was that the one that someone posted on FB a while back?

Roger Dodger

Thank you okie 4570 and to everyone that shares this information. Its really helpful. Although ive owned broncos since 1980 and have had this u13 since 1990 and the u15 since 1998, i am still learning. To those that have emailed me, i will send pics and as soon as i figure out how to do dropbox i will post a link. I know the odds are small that my u 13 is a more rare military vehicle, yet it is possible and the few clues i have so far seem to support that possibility. Regardless i have had a ton of fun in these trucks including pulling my friends with much larger and stronger power wagons, blazers, etc., out of the ditch with my 170 ci 6 banger lol. Or going through woods and places where they couldnt. Im glad ford is reviving this brand and i hope they will keep some of the performance traits the originals had. I particularly liked the tight turning radius. I won several bets with jeep owners over the years on that alone. Lol