• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

another 66 build thread

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ok, where do I start.... After trolling here for months looking for more information about doing a Coyote build, I read countless threads, learned a lot and dove in head first. I learn the hard way so nothing comes easy but the advice I have got from this forum has definitely helped me, saved me a lot of time and money and prevented me from making too many mistakes. I am going learn that I don't know what I don't know soon enough but I certainly have avoided many pitfalls that I know I would have fallen into,

In my search for the Coyote project I decided to start collecting parts and ended up with a few "projects" only to decide that I am going to build that Coyote project with a Krawlers Edge chassis and a new body. I have the 2017 Mustang donor so that one is going to be an ongoing build that I will document and post when the time comes. While collecting the parts, I opted to do a couple of builds first to learn more before I make that major investment so I started with the worst one to learn the most. I also ran across and purchased a 74 explorer that was so original and rust free that that one is going to go back to original and somewhere down the road as well. I Stored it at my dads house and maybe will see it again someday! I then picked up a 66 and a 76 at auction from a storage lot for parts and a 66 rust free tub as the starter for the Coyote project that now I probably wont use it for.

This build thread will focus on the 66 U15.

The wagon started life as a red 289 3 speed which it still had in it. It had been cut, lifted and had considerable rust in the floors, posts, inner fenders and kickers. The cowl, windshield frame, upper rear quarters and rear corners were good but everything else needed to be replaced. I also had a small front end hit at one time but enough to need the front inner fenders and support, grill replacement.

The build will be to change the color to a 2015 Lexus Atomic Silver with black trim and black chrome accents. I will do a soft top only.

Other mods or changes planned right now will include a Blueprint 306, AX15 5 speed, swap the D30 with a d44, Lubr with 2.5" lift and 1" body lift. I will be using a Krawlers edge family cage with the seats from the 2017 Mustang. All of this is subject to change but so far I am set on this.

So this is the one where I was contemplating making a beach cruiser and turning it into a Roadster but I decided to bite the alignment bullet and learn how to replace posts and still get the doors to align.

I am in for a battle according to everything I have read but I am up for the challenge and actually looking forward to it. I have measured everything and measured again, taken a lot of pictures and am now drilling, grinding and starting the removal process.

Here is where it started at the wrecking yard and I will update as I have time. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• 66 lubr start.jpg
    66 lubr start.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 217
  • 66 lubr start cowl.jpg
    66 lubr start cowl.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 66 lubr start floor.jpg
    66 lubr start floor.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 66 lubr start inner fender.jpg
    66 lubr start inner fender.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 158
  • 66 lubr start interior.jpg
    66 lubr start interior.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 145
  • 66 lubr start post.jpg
    66 lubr start post.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 198
  • 66 lubr start rocker.jpg
    66 lubr start rocker.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 184
  • 66 lubr start tail.jpg
    66 lubr start tail.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 205
OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks, here are a few more progress pics. Nothing major yet, just planning and disassembly while I gather parts and tools.

Grinders, niblers, shear cutters, spot weld drills, mig welder, this "hobby" is getting pricey!

Attachments

• 66 lubr 2 bracing.jpg
    66 lubr 2 bracing.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 149
  • 66 lubr 2 dr post start.jpg
    66 lubr 2 dr post start.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 66 lubr 2 engine out.jpg
    66 lubr 2 engine out.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 66 lubr 2 rear qtr cut.jpg
    66 lubr 2 rear qtr cut.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 158
  • 66 lubr 2 Spot weld.jpg
    66 lubr 2 Spot weld.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 152

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Grinders, niblers, shear cutters, spot weld drills, mig welder, this "hobby" is getting pricey!

and i see you have the equally important WD-40...it (quickly) got to the point where I would not TOUCH a nut or bolt on my 66 without soaking it in PB Blaster! ;D

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh yeah, that is the starter fluid for any restoration.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I keep going back and forth on whether to replace the whole post or cut in the lower portion. I see both views but I am leaning towards the whole post. The replacements I got are a little different but it looks like they are the same size. Just the shape of the hump areas are shaped differently. Talking to WH this morning about that.

Attachments

• pass striker 66.jpg
    pass striker 66.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 120
OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well the aftermarket striker posts and door posts are just too different to try to use a section so it is all coming out. This 66 is a lot different than the 68 up even though the parts are listed as 66-77. Starting with the right side first. pillar out and test fitting rocker and kicker to get an idea of alignment. Slow going and just taking my time. Using the old parts to practice welding. Just using Miller 175 Mig for now but may get some lessons on the Syncrowave 200 Tig next week to see if I can make sense of that. slowwwww but fun.

Attachments

• rt fit start.jpg
    rt fit start.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 150
  • rt floo removed.jpg
    rt floo removed.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 138
  • rt door pillar removed.jpg
    rt door pillar removed.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 150

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Slow going and just taking my time. Using the old parts to practice welding. Just using Miller 175 Mig for now but may get some lessons on the Syncrowave 200 Tig next week to see if I can make sense of that. slowwwww but fun.

I'd like to do that same thing at some point, get back up to speed on my welding.

Good luck

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Slow going here but I got a little time today. Doing a little patch work on the inner fender behind the striker post rather than replacing that. Then started fitting the right side pillars, rocker and kicker. this is coming along but it validates what everyone on here continues to emphasize, you need to measure and brace as much as possible. The two piece pillars are additional work but they are the only ones I could find that have the same shape as the original 66 posts. So far I have bought sheet metal parts from WH, JBG, United Pacific and Dennis Carpenter. They all need massaging and trimming.

Attachments

• striker back 66.jpg
    striker back 66.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 134
  • pass door fit 66.jpg
    pass door fit 66.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 150
  • striker weld.jpg
    striker weld.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 127
  • striker rust.jpg
    striker rust.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 131
OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
First run at fitting the door and actually lined much better than expected. Now off again and start tacking.

Attachments

• IMG_20190623_085933323_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190623_085933323_HDR.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 140

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Nice job your doing. Reminds me of mine three years ago. There is light at the end of the tunnel. You will feel it is all worth it when you are driving around a rust free Bronco with a big ole grin on your face. Good luck, Ken

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Nice job your doing. Reminds me of mine three years ago. There is light at the end of the tunnel. You will feel it is all worth it when you are driving around a rust free Bronco with a big ole grin on your face. Good luck, Ken

then you'll be like "damn I need something else to work on" ehh Ken?? ;D

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
better a slow go than a no go right.. Do what you can when you can

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good advice, I have had to learn to exercise patience and it pays off. If I get to a point where I get frustrated, I quit, relax and come back the next day with a fresh mind. It really helps by approaching it slowly. And it give me time to come on here and learn more!

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With the passenger side in place, time to tackle the drivers side.

Attachments

• driver rocker pillar removed.jpg
    driver rocker pillar removed.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 140
  • driver striker removed.jpg
    driver striker removed.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 131
  • driver side stripped.jpg
    driver side stripped.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 148
OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mocking up the drivers door. Harder than the pass for some reason. Took a break and went to San Diego to cool off then back at it.

Attachments

• 66 rust bucket dd.jpg
    66 rust bucket dd.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 98
OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, the fit is working well and the panels and fenders have good initial gap so it looks like it is time to start welding.

Attachments

• 66 rust bucket drivers side repair.jpg
    66 rust bucket drivers side repair.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 109
OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No progress in two months!. I got sidetracked by finding a real clean 76 sport so I got it home and got it running to keep it out of the way for a later project. Then decided to keep this a lower budget project so rather than the 306 blueprint I bought a 98 explorer for an EFI swap and that has taken my space and time so after I get that stripped it is back to the sheet metal work.