• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel tank liner

rjcruz27

What liner have you guys used for your fuel tanks. I’ve used the Red Kote but also see there’s. POR-15. Thoughts?

welndmn

Bronco Guru
I did the POR on a gas can a few years ago, it flaked on me.
I put the red kote in my 2 tanks on my 1947 jeep and it sealed the holes and has not flaked on me.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used Red Kote in my 42 Ford 9N tank about 10 years ago and it has held up fine with no flaking.

69_Sport

Bronco owners are lucky. New fuel tanks are available in a bunch of styles. Exact replacement, increased capacity, etc.

The tank has to be removed to coat it. Why would anyone go to all the trouble to take it out, clean it properly, and coat it when you can bolt in a brand new one?

Lining was developed to fix tanks that couldn't be replaced. It's a band aid solution. If the wrong brand of liner is chosen, or it's not done correctly, it will leak or clog fuel lines/filters and have to be done over. Or replaced eventually with a shiny new tank.

Broncos are popular and benefit from having nearly every replacement part available. Take advantage of this fact.

If my old man was still around, he'd say lining a crappy old fuel tank is being "penny wise and pound foolish."