• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Routing of exhaust for a 66 with the I6?

camucsb

Hi all,

This is probably a very dumb question, but I just bought the replacement exhaust kid from CJ Pony Parts for my 1966 Bronco with the 170 inline 6, and can't figure out for the life of me how it goes together. Every which way that I puzzle-piece it together seems to bump against something, or it hangs down basically on top of the axle. Is there a diagram or picture or instruction guide somewhere that someone might be able to send me?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm new to this stuff and teaching myself to be handy in my late 30s. Making some slow progress... this is the last step on a much larger project that involved pulling the head, replacing the water pump, thermostat housing, exhaust manifold and all belts. Pretty cool seeing it all come together, and looking forward to (really) driving it for the first time in 10 years.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I can get you some pics but it will be late this evening or tomorrow.

bmbm

six exhaust

Maybe they sent you a Mustang setup?
Could be some help at fordsix.com they have a Bronco forum. My Bronco is in another state or I would snap a pic for you.

bmbm

exhaust replacement

Good some have helped you already. One thing to check is my 66 Bronco was a 170 engine originally and has 2" exhaust pipe I believe. A smaller diameter could hurt performance, such as it is with the 170.

OP
OP
camucsb

camucsb

Thanks all! This should get me going, I think. I'm hoping to get under the truck tomorrow if I can get home while it's still light out, so will see if I can figure out the pieces that I got. Will keep you all updated...

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thanks all! This should get me going, I think. I'm hoping to get under the truck tomorrow if I can get home while it's still light out, so will see if I can figure out the pieces that I got. Will keep you all updated...

Good luck...

OP
OP
camucsb

camucsb

Quick update and another question - I had to put this project down for a couple of weeks, but getting back after it today. The question I'm running into now is, how much clearance do I need over the rear axle?

The current routing that I have stumbled into looks to be pretty good, but there's only about 2.75" of clearance over the rear axel, which I suspect might be too tight. Is there a rule of thumb on how much clearance you would need in order to avoid having the axle smash the exhaust when the springs are compressed? Here's a photo: https://photos.app.goo.gl/P5H2prmFjuScyDWk6

Hoping I'm on the right track so I can get this sucker buttoned up and started again! Sorry for the basic questions, hopefully they'll get less dumb as I start to figure this all out.

Cameron

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I don't see the big bend in the tail pipe to go over the axle as seen in the diagram. The end of the tail pipe behind the rear wheel should be much more level. Don't tighten any clamps until all the parts are in the right position.
Good luck