• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

No doors legal? What about nets?

Eagles

Loc.
Philadelphia
I pulled the doors and top off my 75 bronco in preparation for the summer, but I've been told having no doors is illegal. Is this true? In all states (I live in PA)? If so, can I get around this by using some sort of netting in place of the door and does anybody sell such a product?

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Can't speak for PA, but here in CO and the surrounding states, including UT, there is no such law. I would seriously doubt that there's a PA state law against having no doors.

Broncofarm

The people you are talking to may have misunderstood why it is illegal to have the doors off. It can be illegal if your drivers side mirror is on your door and you have no other drivers side mirror. Its a problem with not having mirrors though not the doors.

commonlaw

Loc.
Seattle
I did the same research when I modified my ride as well. Being a bit cautious as an attorney and because my EB is a daily driver, I found that the main things you MUST have in most states is mirrors, windshield, horn, seatbelts. Doors are rarely required (and certainly not in WA). I am just waitin for the cop to pull me over for not having doors and then I pull the Revised Code of Washington out and burn his ass (let's just hope that he doesnt notice that I am missing my horn).

Also, in some instances, your vehicles' attributes are grandfathered into legality. If you want to know for sure just hop on the internet and look at your state's statutes.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
This is borrowed from another thread here discussing the same thing. http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46495

PA Code § 175.77. Body:
(f) Doors. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with doors of a type used as original equipment. The doors shall open and close securely unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or side. Tailgates, except on vehicles where the tailgate gives access to the passenger compartment, may be replaced with wood planking, nets or other material that will prevent loss of load. Tailgates may be removed when optional equipment, for example a truck camper, is added.

Keep in mind that this doesn't say absense of a top makes it okay to run without doors. Rather it doesn't need to open and close securely where the top isn't there.

The only way I see around this is to convince them that your EB was available without doors from the factory. Might get sticky though if it actually wasn't for your year.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
There is an amendment to the horn law if you have a "horn broken watch for finger" liscense plate ring.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
The laws naturely vary by state, and some are very poorly writtten. Usually if the doors were originally designed to be removable you are in the clear. We all know that for a few years Broncos were available without doors, but that doesn't specificly mean the doors were meant to be removable. In atleast one state (Utah I think) the law specifies all vehicles must have doors, excluding Jeeps.
It would be prudent to spend $10 on eBay to get a reproduction Ford sales brouchure showing the Roadster option and keep it in you glove box or console.
Personaly, while I like the look of the roadsters, I like being able to roll up the windows on really tight trails. Getting THWACKED in the ear or eye by a protruding branch is not something you will soon forget :'(

67ster

Bronco Guru
Skuzzlebut speaks the truth about Utah's door law or interpretation therof . Carry a laminated Ford ad showing the roadster option as most law enforcement (even the administator and lawmakers!) don't realize it exists. I contacted a friend that works for the state DMV and after sending a picture of an original Ford ad , her supervisor said the law wasn't researched well enough . It also depends on the attitude of the enforcement official and the motorist in some cases . Side impact safety was the idea behind the law ,seatbelts for sure , a rollgage , inserts and perhaps a net or doorbar will satisfy John Law when shown the proof . Just another case of our lawmakers protecting us from ourselves !

chris

No more Rock Crawler
Pa is very strange with that law.

I hear you should not run through Skippack as the cops constantly pull Jeeps over for no doors.

I build a set of tube doors so I could get around the issue.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D I sure hope its legal to go doorless as havent run doors since 74 and have never been stoped for that. Its run Ca., Az. mexico Ks. and Mo. never a problem good luck to you. :cool: :cool: :cool: Bill :p :cool: %)

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
State Laws: A-H

In an effort to quell some of the questions that come across the forums here, I have compiled some of hte links below which can guide you in your endeavors to modify your Bronco and remain in the limits of the law. Now, bear in mind that the laws in any state can (and will) change without notice, and the changes may not be listed on the web sites. Regardless of whether it is called a "law", "statute" or "code", it is your guide to what is legal, and what probably isn't.

Since this is a "VEHICLE RELATED" forum, the links (where possible) are directly to the traffic laws or equipment codes. Others are less user friendly and you will have to search or otherwise navigate yourself. Further, this is only what I have had the time or ability to locate.

Note that I am trying to use a web site that is related to each state in question, so as to provide the (theoretical) best and most up to date source. Some of the states have thier laws, statutes and codes listed on the Lexis Nexis, which is the host for most of the JAVA based sites.

States A-H

ALABAMA LAWS
Go to Title 32

Alaska Title 28 Motor Vehicles

Arizona Title 28 Scroll down to Chapter 3.

Arkansas This one is a bit difficult. In JAVA... find title 27, "Transpotation" and scroll down for "Vehicles and Equipment" for starters.

Here is California. You'll have to search this one. It doesn't appear to be formated so that you can just skim through....

Colorado JAVA again. Use the left side bar. Select Title 42 and expand the tree.

Connecticut I suggest starting at Volume 5, Title 14. Good Luck. ;)

Delaware Title 21 Chapter 43 for equipment.
Here is the menu for Delaware Title 21.

Florida Traffic laws Equipment starts at Fl Code 316.217.

Georgia Codes, Title 40.
40-5-xx driver's licenses
40-6-xx traffic laws
40-8-xx vehicle equipment / requirements

Hawaii This is a searchable database. No browsing, so you hafta know what youre looking for.

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
Yeah if there is a law like that it prolly is something like "doors are required unless vehicle was designed to have the doors removed" and in my book 6 bolts are all that is required to remove a bronco door, so I think it was designed to be easily removed.

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
State Laws: I-M

IDAHO Chapter 9 For Equipment

Illinois Go to Chapter 12

Indiana Titlle 9, Article 19.

Iowa Title 8, Subtitle 2. Starting at 321.384

Kansas This is a list of Vehicle Equipment statutes. Seems you have to read each one individually.

Kentucky This one is easy enough. (ofcourse we are talking about Kentucky... :D

Louisianna Best I can find. THis one, you'll ave to search by text. Use "REVISED STATUTES" and enter your text. ex: seat belt, tires... etc..

MaineThis is the list of all statutes. Titles 29 and 29-a are for Motor Vehicles.

Maryland Code, Transportation, Title 22.

Massachusetts Sec.7 for most equipment codes.

Michigan

Minnesota Pretty scattered as far as topics go, so here is the easiest way to start.

Mississippi Chapter 007

Missouri Equipment Regulations

Montana Title 61 Chapter 9

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
State Laws N-W and DC

Nebraska Again. Searches prevail

Nevada Slide down to NRS 484.541 to start Equipment.

New Hampshire Motor Vehicle Laws.

New Jersey This one could get tedious. There is a search tool on the bottom.

New Mexico Another JAVA site. Use the file tree on the left.

New York (state) :) someone may ask... Click Chapter 71. It goves a list of the codes so you dont have to click each one.

North Carolina Equipment interests run from # 20-122 thru #20-137.8 / and of special interest is #20-128 for some of you. ;) You may also go down to Article 3A and check it out.

South Carolina

North Dakota Title 39-11 for Equipment

South Dakota Start down at Chapter 15.

Ohio Try Title XLV Motor Vehicles - aeronautics - boats .... Chapter 4513

*If someone has something for Oklahoma, please share it.*

Oregon

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island

Tennessee Title 55, Chapter 9.

Texas Chapter 547

Utah Starts around 41-6-119

Vermont Motor Vehicle Section

Virginia

Washington Scroll down to 46.32 thru 46.44

West Virginia I suggest WVC 17C 15-1 to start Equipment.

Wisconsin Mostly PDF files, Statute #347.

Wyoming Long one.

For the District of Columbia, Maybe starting here will help you out

----------------------------------------------------------------

Here you go. Maybe this will help answer some of your questions. I do suggest that you review some of the state laws where you live. It is likely that you will find out something that you didn't know... and find useful. Like bar-room trivia or something. ;)

DPM77

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle, Washington
chris said:
Pa is very strange with that law.

I hear you should not run through Skippack as the cops constantly pull Jeeps over for no doors.

I build a set of tube doors so I could get around the issue.

Sounds like a great idea, if you lived in a beach area, or somewhere wide open, got pics?

I have seen aftermarket tube doors, I think they were 1.5" tube, for yj's, maybe those folks make a tube door set up for the EB.

Me, I like the hardtop and door thing running around in the woods here in the NW, having a window to roll up can make life a lot nicer. Especially when it is a wet cedar bough that hits ya in the face.

dpm

Eoth

Bronco Guru
My ride is registered in PA and I haven't had a problem with them "yet". I have the door inserts installed. The interesting thing is that if you look at a soft jeep door it will say that it is not designed to keep an occupant inside the vehicle. I guess there is a little grey area in the enforcement.

OP
OP
E

Eagles

Loc.
Philadelphia
Just got pulled over

I actually got pulled over earlier today in my bronco. The first thing he started questioning me about was where my doors were. I played dumb, and it turns out he had an EB and just wanted to take a closer look at mine. He did say it is illegal in PA to remove doors that weren't meant to be removed, and technically he says mine were not. But, I like that idea about keeping a bronco ad in the glove box. Thanks for all the responses.