• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NC 77 Brocno

jpws

Admitted Bronco rookie here, trying to learn.
Can someone tell me what about this 77, would make it attractive enough to bring $19K.

From my untrained eye, and aside from it running, it looks in very rought shape to say the least.

if there some feature that i'm not aware of, that'd generate $19K - or, was it marketing and photography...and the right person at the right time? I've seen many many half that price or less, that looked better. Thanks

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1...=email&utm_campaign=bat_watched_listing_ended

SunnDogg

This one defies logic to me. Sure does have some curb appeal though until you look closer. At least this one had a lot of pictures so they buyer should have a pretty good idea of what they were getting in to. Down to the what someone on here thought was likely an old mower blade holding the passenger b-pillar together.

I've been searching pretty regularly for the past couple years and the market for these has been climbing steadily. I've been waiting for the right one to come along and the market seems to just keep slipping away as this one was likely half that not more than a year ago. Really makes me wish I had pulled the trigger on a couple listed here by members not all that long ago.

As a hobbyist and just finishing up a restoration on another old car that I had to farm out paint and body work, these can get away from you and snowball real quick once you crack them open. I just don't see how this one pencils out to restore and not be significantly upside down. I promised myself after I bought the wrong project to start with the last go around that next time I would be patient and pay more upfront to start from a better place and it will save thousands in the long run.

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, I'm just a little past "Rookie" stage myself, but I believe this one brought more money than what's rational. I have no idea why.%)

indio22

This one defies logic to me. Sure does have some curb appeal though until you look closer. At least this one had a lot of pictures so they buyer should have a pretty good idea of what they were getting in to. Down to the what someone on here thought was likely an old mower blade holding the passenger b-pillar together.

I've been searching pretty regularly for the past couple years and the market for these has been climbing steadily. I've been waiting for the right one to come along and the market seems to just keep slipping away as this one was likely half that not more than a year ago. Really makes me wish I had pulled the trigger on a couple listed here by members not all that long ago.

As a hobbyist and just finishing up a restoration on another old car that I had to farm out paint and body work, these can get away from you and snowball real quick once you crack them open. I just don't see how this one pencils out to restore and not be significantly upside down. I promised myself after I bought the wrong project to start with the last go around that next time I would be patient and pay more upfront to start from a better place and it will save thousands in the long run.

It might be heresy to say this here, but honesty, get an old Jeep. That is where the fun is now if you don't want to spend a lot of cash on some wreck of a Bronco. For several thousand dollars, you can get an easy to work on older Jeep, have top/doors off fun, and explore the back country or whatever. While I keep an eye out for an old Bronco, the cost takes most of the fun out of it for me. That is just not my scene - not what made the old 4x4 hobby fun for me in the first place.

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've had quite a few Ford 4X4 vehicles in my time, mostly F150 pick-ups with a few full size Broncos and two early Broncos. The one piece of advice I'll offer is if you find something you're seriously considering buying, do what ever it takes to look at it in person or if you can't look at it yourself find someone who's judgement you trust look at the vehicle for you before any funds change hands. I'm no expert by any means, but I think from my experience with owning and working on as many different Ford 4X4's I've had over the years I'm a pretty decent judge as to what is junk and what's not. I've bought two vehicles with out looking at them first, both early Broncos, and got burned both times. I'm getting close to the time when I'm going to be in the market to buy another Bronco real soon and I will not buy another if I cannot go look at it personally, even if it means the price of airfare to the west coast and back.

mebco09

Admitted Bronco rookie here, trying to learn.
Can someone tell me what about this 77, would make it attractive enough to bring $19K.

From my untrained eye, and aside from it running, it looks in very rought shape to say the least.

if there some feature that i'm not aware of, that'd generate $19K - or, was it marketing and photography...and the right person at the right time? I've seen many many half that price or less, that looked better. Thanks

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1...=email&utm_campaign=bat_watched_listing_ended

The buyer of that thing probably did not look at it, and "had to have it" Maybe a flipper, but for that price (with buyers fees) and you could have bought one from this site in far better shape. I bet that one needs every panel replaced or addressed in some way. This buyer will be in the body work over $20k easy.

Not to get political here, but I think what we are seeing is lots of people with lots of money these days due to the good economy vs. the previous economy under the previous administration. The run-up in Bronco prices corresponds to the run-up in the economy (2016-on). Lots of people are doing dumb things with money because they have a lot of it.

A Bronco sold not far from me (The green 71 on the for sale page) for $35,000. I had some interest in it, but thought it was worth around $25,000, and I would wait around for a couple weeks for the owner to "get real" about his price. It looked like some questionable body work had been done in the past and the Bronco appeared to need some TLC. Well, it sold in the first weekend, probably to the first buyer. Shows you what I know....

fosgate150

I am not sure what the understanding is for the value of a rare option Bronco, vs normal stock ones, vs a true restoration, vs a resto-mod, and so on. The prices seem to be all over the place.

I am keeping an eye on the prices in regards to the period correct restorations.

For that 77, I would like to think the Décor group option, top color delete, and other factory options made the price go up??

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No explanation for his one makes sense. Online bidder that does not know what lurks underneath is still not going to help with the price justification. What it does though is make others feel theirs is worth this much. This is an exception not a norm. I feel bad for the buyer when it arrives.