• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ARB Ford 9” Old type need help

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So my Arb is leaking where the copper pipe goes in the ring that has the 2 o ring seals . Part is no longer made as it’s the old first design. It has almost never been used as it’s been in my bronco in the basement for 12 years . Looks like it was silver brazed that didn’t take or hold . Can anyone tell me if it is brazed on the inside of the ring ? Looks like I will need to pull the bearing of to get to it . Thanks Keith

Attachments

• D8858774-E449-493A-8EF2-10C3A90227C1.jpg
    D8858774-E449-493A-8EF2-10C3A90227C1.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 4019972D-78A5-4EEE-87E9-563BF6BBF699.jpg
    4019972D-78A5-4EEE-87E9-563BF6BBF699.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 99
OP
OP
DEEPWOODS

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I did and they don’t care. Told me to buy a new design arb . If I can’t fix it I won’t be getting a ARB. I will go with a Zip Locker

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Yes, that is just a brazed on fitting.
You can disassemble the locker, heat up that tube and slide it out, then clean it and flux it and re braze it.

It's common to fix those on ARBs, so if you google around for soldering on the seal housing you should find some tips.

661buster1963

It’s a shame ARB didn’t care. I’ll file that away if I ever want a selectable locker, not likely ARB

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I would REALLY like to know which ARB rep's DEEPWOODS talked to because I've ALWAYS had excellent service from ARB... I have bought multiple ARB's from them, repaired several, helped others get parts from ARB and have always been treated with utmost respect and concern... that being said, I do know that 4 of the "long-term" employees at the local ARB service center (120miles away) left and run a 4x4 store...all the employees there now are "newbies"...

Here's hoping you have better luck...

Can I ask which ARB "store" you were dealing with...

Last edited:

welndmn

Bronco Guru
I don't think it's that ARB does not care, they just do not make the part anymore as the design changed.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Deepwoods...if you want to get rid of that ARB, let me know. thanks

OP
OP
DEEPWOODS

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not ARB store it was ARB USA tech and yes the housing with the copper pipe coming out on the side is no longer available .I have it out and apart now going to try the fix on pirate where you drill it out and use brake line and part of the old copper tube and braze them together as it has to be the small copper at the end at where the nut is.

AGGRV8D

Loc.
So Cal
I'd also be interested if you ever decide to get rid of that locker. Pretty sure ARB doesn't make one for the old sb 9" anymore.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm about to install a Yukon air locker in my 9". Going from 28 spline to 31.

Suggestions on where to port the line through the cast iron housing?

Any other things I ought to look out for?

nvrstuk

Contributor
This is a HiPinion 9" but this is where you want the line to come out.

Also, If you use your Bronco a ton and run in cold, cold weather a lot I highly recommend to run the ARB copper line not across the back of the ring gear and housing but at the bottom of the ring gear and housing.

You do not have to ever worry about the heavy viscosity gear lube slowly over the years moving your copper airline closer to the ring gear and eventually have it touching the ring gear if you run the copper line at the bottom. This happens more often than you might think.

After pulling my 1st Gen. ARB out for an inspect 20 plus years ago I saw that it was just starting to touch the ring gear. after that I moved it down below and have never had an issue since -even when running high viscosity oil in the TrueHi9 when needed.

nvrstuk

Contributor
661...ARB quit making that part for the 1st gen 9" rear ARB 20 yrs ago...it's not that they don't care, its just been updated and it sucks to be us needing a 1996 designed part in 2019 and not being able to get the correct part.

Good luck EVER buying FiTech, Edlebrock, or Holley replacement parts for their TB EFI stuff in 5 yrs or so...they WILL upgrade and you will be out of luck... how do I know this? Because it happened to me with Holley and Edlebrock with their earlier style EFI conversions... stsrting in the early 90's with Projection and Edlebrock with their ProFlow...

So would you ever buy another part from Holley or Edelbrock for the same reason? Course not, although that is exactly why I did not go aftermarket EFI but went Mass Air SEFI and EDIS on mine.

Many more decades of support when/if needed.

Good luck

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the input. I am struggling with the image of how you are describing the line routing.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Pm me.

I'll try to scroll back for a pic. :)