• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Benefits of a twin stick shifter

Wakewheelin

The whole pro to twin sticks on breaking a u-joint doesn't make sense. If you break U-joint on rear drive line guess what? 4-wheel drive is now just front wheel drive u can still get home. If you break a front drive line U-joint same deal just 2 wheel rear wheel drive. So don't buy just for that reason either.

patr1ck

Loc.
Tempe, AZ
The whole pro to twin sticks on breaking a u-joint doesn't make sense. If you break U-joint on rear drive line guess what? 4-wheel drive is now just front wheel drive u can still get home. If you break a front drive line U-joint same deal just 2 wheel rear wheel drive. So don't buy just for that reason either.

Most of the time when you break a u-joint, it is the one at the diff. With a single stick, if you broke the rear u-joint at the diff you would have to remove the driveshaft, otherwise it would still be spinning with the front since there is no way to run the front without also running the rear driveshaft. With a twin stick you could just disengage the rear driveshaft from the power flow with the stick and secure the rear driveshaft up to the frame/body to get you home.

Pat

6torres9

i want to use my t shift transfer case independently by line locking the rear putting it in nuetral with twin stick shifters an then putting the front in high or low to swing around an obstacle.My t case wont allow me to do that individually the rear out put shaft must move first before the front is allowed to engaged high or low. Is there a reason for this or is there a fix for that.

Hank Dodge

Did you cut the flags on the T-case rods? They should be cut so that each one can move independently of the other. I installed the WH twin stick in mine and it functions just as you are asking. I can engage front or rear, high or low independently just fine.

I used it last week to drive home on just the front end when I blew a rear joint close to home. It didn't let loose all the way, but I heard it going. I just shifted the rear into neutral to unload it, put the front into high and drove home. Worked nicely.

Only thin I don't like with mine, is it is hard to change gears. I have the automatic and that might be the difference. It is not smooth engaging the front end, I always get a decent grinding of the gears. Any suggestions?

6torres9

my dana 20 t shift did not have flags it had a plate from shift rod to shift rod that was pinned with a rod pinned to the shifting rod. I did remove every thing to make them individual I have tried to move them individually an cant seem to get them to work.I spoke to wildhorses and they told me that the t case would have to be modified internally is that true? Is it possible that the transfercase has a safty mechanism internally?

Hank Dodge

Wild horses told me that it wouldn't work also. Frankly, it sounded like they were trying to sell me an Atlas instead. %)
I did the install on my T-case and it works just fine. ;)

There are two different twin stick kits available, one for that style and one for the later J-shift style like mine. It is the J-shift that uses the flags on the rails. I believe that the T-shift Dana 20 only had a pin hole in each shift rail for linkage attachment. The internals of both cases should function the same ( aside from a bit lower ratio in the earlier case ). You should be able to slide the shift rails on your T-case in and out to all three positions individually. You might have to rotate a drive yoke or something to get the internal gears lined up etc., but they should go. Do you have the right twin stick kit for your model T-case?

6torres9

I am pretty sure the twin stick is the right one for the reason that it pinned in those pin holes in each of the shift rails an was a direct bolt up.As i shift the rear out put shaft into low or high i am able to shift the front out put shaft into low or high an with both out put shafts in low i cant pull the rear into neutral an use the front to swing me around the front must be pulled to neutral before the rear can be pulled ah i wonder maybe there is a safty pin in there verses the j shift due to the j shift has the flags that u must cut before they are able to shift individually thanks for your info i wiil check it out an post it later

OP
OP
Skiddy

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
yes the T shift you have to get inside of it for true independently of shifting

6torres9

skiddy would you have any info on the t case? do i change shift rails or mess with the spring retainers on the shift rails?Thanks

OP
OP
Skiddy

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
skiddy would you have any info on the t case? do i change shift rails or mess with the spring retainers on the shift rails?Thanks

i don't have a lot of info on the T shift. I believe member on here Nobody has a really good write up on it may try and contact him.

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
modifying the flags for a twin stick "J" shifter

This is great stuff guys, thx! im new on CB and am just getting started with my 76 bronco. I saw some pics on the beginning of this thread that shows the J shifter before and after the flags are modified.

Here is my question, can you modify the flags without pulling the transfer case and the shift rails?

any pics or how tos to walk me through the process?

OP
OP
Skiddy

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
This is great stuff guys, thx! im new on CB and am just getting started with my 76 bronco. I saw some pics on the beginning of this thread that shows the J shifter before and after the flags are modified.

Here is my question, can you modify the flags without pulling the transfer case and the shift rails?

any pics or how tos to walk me through the process?

it's pretty simple really when you get to it you will see how it works. yes you sure can cut the flags with the transfer case installed a little easier if you have a body lift. i used a dremel with a cut off wheel worked great

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
T-Shift Dumb Question

I installed JB Fab Twin Sticks for my T-Shift. Mainly just to make it easier to shift. I didn't make any internal modification to make it independent on the front. This is the dumb question...The stickers that came with it just show high, neutral and low range. If I'm just wanting to run 2 High, do I put the left side in neutral and the right stick in high? I think I've been running around for a year now with both sticks in the high position and the hubs unlocked. Although I'm sure it's okay, I want to have this set right.

shatra04

Loc.
GREAT FALLS,MT
I installed JB Fab Twin Sticks for my T-Shift. Mainly just to make it easier to shift. I didn't make any internal modification to make it independent on the front. This is the dumb question...The stickers that came with it just show high, neutral and low range. If I'm just wanting to run 2 High, do I put the left side in neutral and the right stick in high? I think I've been running around for a year now with both sticks in the high position and the hubs unlocked. Although I'm sure it's okay, I want to have this set right.

Hey Chief,
For 2H, the left shifter is in Neutral and the right shifter is in High... You should be able to feel the shifter switch in and out of each gear.
hope this helps...