• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Roller Cam (CompCam)

ksbronco75

Contributor
I have been having issues with the cam i ordered being back ordered. Well it finally came in the mail today and it is the wrong part # from the one that i ordered. Im looking to put a roller cam into a 302. went with a kit ive seen on a few different sites that has a .480" lift. would like to keep that lift height. also would like the kit simply because it makes it easier and cheaper than buying the lifters, cam, and retainer individually. Ive been going through compcam. anyone have any other recommendations for cam companies or roller cam options?

bbaltered

What cam did you get and what cam did you want? Very little information here for people to answer your question.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Also I'd try summit or the other mailorder they usually have them all

latrucker

Contributor
Ed Curtis at Flowtech Induction, tell him what you want and that's what you will get. His custom cams aren't much more than off the shelf ones and its matched to make the most of your combo and what you plan on doing with it. He did my heads and cam on my 351W, 110% satsfied.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
X8 on Ed at FloTech... he's done cams for me and 100% what I asked for...

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-444211/

You won't be disappointed with that cam.

I've never run this cam but the specs are stout! Super short duration with a ton of lift should give you good idle and mid range torque with top end too. I would be very cautious about your heads and springs with this cam. With .530 lift you are going to need springs and your rockers may run out of slot and bind. Also pressed in studs may start to walk if the spring pressure is too high.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
I've never run this cam but the specs are stout! Super short duration with a ton of lift should give you good idle and mid range torque with top end too. I would be very cautious about your heads and springs with this cam. With .530 lift you are going to need springs and your rockers may run out of slot and bind. Also pressed in studs may start to walk if the spring pressure is too high.

There is a kit that includes the correct springs. I had screw in studs, so I can’t speak for pressed in and any issues it may cause with them. Changing to that cam and spring setup really made my 5.0l come alive, and have a fantastic idle with EFI.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-444212/

OX1

Bronco Guru
I have been having issues with the cam i ordered being back ordered. Well it finally came in the mail today and it is the wrong part # from the one that i ordered. Im looking to put a roller cam into a 302. went with a kit ive seen on a few different sites that has a .480" lift. would like to keep that lift height. also would like the kit simply because it makes it easier and cheaper than buying the lifters, cam, and retainer individually. Ive been going through compcam. anyone have any other recommendations for cam companies or roller cam options?

Have this cam in my dads fox body LTD, which is a 331 stroker,
but I wanted a torquey street cam and this thing delivers.
I did use 1.7 rockers, as I wanted rollers and figured why not (on ratio).

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lun-20350611/overview/make/ford

Not sure if they sell it as a kit, but also not sure why you would need more than stock lifters.
I just went with new factory ford roller lifters since this was new motor from the ground up,
but not sure you even need new one's if nothing wrong with your stockers.

https://lmr.com/item/M6500R302/85-95-Mustang-50L-58L-Hydraulic-Roller-Lifters

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Not sure where the OP went ,but I read in his thread he wants to put a roller cam in a non roller early block..old iron heads????still think he should contact Ed Curtis..

vintage bronco

Ed Curtis has a 579 lift cam with short duration that he had do for my early Bronco which I sold I am putting it into the roller 5.0 in My Pickup.

nvrstuk

Contributor
As mentioned earlier...make sure your valve train assembly can handle large lift cams... hate to start it up and drop a valve thru that brand new piston...

Stock geometry is limited to lift w/o bind. I run .619" lift at .050 with 1.65 rockers but its designed for it.
Hope this helps.

OX1

Bronco Guru
Not sure where the OP went ,but I read in his thread he wants to put a roller cam in a non roller early block..old iron heads????still think he should contact Ed Curtis..

Guess we all missed that. Does Ed do roller cam conversions?

OP
OP
ksbronco75

ksbronco75

Contributor
I personally want to stay with the flat tappet cam and solid lifters but my brother is nervous since the timing is off and some new components (harmonic balancer, carb) are going on that we wont get the break in process correct and ruin the cam or a lifter. If i stay with a flat tappet cam what would be the best route to go in making sure i dont ruin the cam upon breaking it in??

nvrstuk

Contributor
Ed usually takes a day to respond a nd you are doing the right thing as he will ask you everything he needs to know to do what you want and safely... good luck

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I personally want to stay with the flat tappet cam and solid lifters but my brother is nervous since the timing is off and some new components (harmonic balancer, carb) are going on that we wont get the break in process correct and ruin the cam or a lifter. If i stay with a flat tappet cam what would be the best route to go in making sure i dont ruin the cam upon breaking it in??

When you start the break in process and the engine isn't running right, shut it down and do your adjustments. Just don't continue running the motor if you can't keep it at the proper RPM's. I broke mine in with a new Fitech and had some problems but shut down and adjusted and restarted the break in and it came out fine. Main thing is the motor needs to run continuously at the recommended RPM's but it won't hurt it if you do it in increments if you have to.

nvrstuk

Contributor
By not choosing a roller cam (unless its a monetary decision) your are choosing a significant decrease in potential throttle response, low end torque/hp and potential longevity of the cam...