• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Installing WH lower steering shaft to 69 Manual shaft

BigB

Hi Guys

I’m installing a WH collapsible steering shaft. I did a test on the section of shaft I cut off.

When grinding the notch on the rounded section of shaft it seems like a lot of material must be removed due to the included set screws being flat on the bottom.

The amount I have taken so far allows 1 and 3/4 turns from tight till the joint slips off the shaft.

Is that enough or do I need more?

For the hole you drill in the flat it states only 1/8” just enough to bite.

Doesn’t seem like much metal is actually holding the DD joint to my steering shaft.
e257330e286eafe412589e3d255af1e7.jpg
f88af6e0c7abcd1d40cb7e0e58895ce0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Does the joint slip on fairly snugly still?
Is the one purple dot where you will be dimpling/drilling for the second set-screw?

Looks to me like you have more than enough divot taken out of the round edge for a set screw. I don't want to make it sound dangerous, but you don't care much about the number of turns before it falls out, because if that set-screw gets loose, it IS going to come out! Whether it's one turn, or half a dozen, it will come out if it's loose.

That's why using the supplied Locktite and the locking/jam nut are the critical points to this install. Use the thread locker on the screw and the nut during your last install (after any testing) and tighten them pretty good into their respective dents, and you should be good.

Paul

OP
OP
B

BigB

Does the joint slip on fairly snugly still?
Is the one purple dot where you will be dimpling/drilling for the second set-screw?

Looks to me like you have more than enough divot taken out of the round edge for a set screw. I don't want to make it sound dangerous, but you don't care much about the number of turns before it falls out, because if that set-screw gets loose, it IS going to come out! Whether it's one turn, or half a dozen, it will come out if it's loose.

That's why using the supplied Locktite and the locking/jam nut are the critical points to this install. Use the thread locker on the screw and the nut during your last install (after any testing) and tighten them pretty good into their respective dents, and you should be good.

Paul

Hi Paul

Well I wouldn't say the joint is really snug.I took off as little as I could each time and then refit etc. I also did it with a flap disc. But it's free hand and the first I've ever done. It only has a little play.

But this is just a practice run before I do the end of the steering shaft I'm using.

Yes the blue dot is where I would drill for the 2nd set screw.

Yes I will be using the supplied loctite.

Yes I know if it comes loose it will fall out!! That's my worry.

That's why I asked if 1 3/4 turns is enough for the screw which goes in the groove you have to grind. I'm hesitant to grind that groove bigger, but it doesn't seem like a lot of material holding the joint on the shaft with so little turns on the set screw.

I'm wondering why flat set screws are provided instead of ones with points? I may be missing something but a pointed set screw would go deeper and bite more with less material removed than a flat.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Big, When I did mine I got the two flat sides(DD) as tight as I could then marked where the set screws contacted shaft and drilled a divot. I didn't grind a groove. Those set screws are pretty beefy so as long as they are tight and loctited they should hold really good with two of them. Ken

OP
OP
B

BigB

I'm also wondering is there a reason for grinding a groove on the curved section as opposed to drilling a small recess?

The hole would remove less material.

OP
OP
B

BigB

Big, When I did mine I got the two flat sides(DD) as tight as I could then marked where the set screws contacted shaft and drilled a divot. I didn't grind a groove. Those set screws are pretty beefy so as long as they are tight and loctited they should hold really good with two of them. Ken

Thanks Ken.

I think I will drill 2 divots as opposed to the groove.

Do you remember how many turns it took to allow the joint to slide off?