• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

front passenger wheel tub

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Hey all,
Has anyone got wheel tubs that were wider than stock?? my stock tubs were like 11.25" and the replacement is 12.5" across the top. It fits but really cuts down on the amount of room needed to get to spark plugs, headers etc.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Interesting. Never heard that particular issue crop up that I remember. Since it's a '70 and not a '77 it won't have anything to do with the wheel well tilting downward to clear the brake booster.

Not sure what the difference is.
But it would not hurt to check with a couple of the vendors to make sure theirs are the same. Maybe others here will have that info and will answer.
Where did your new one(s) come from? If they're ours, I can maybe find out if they're all the same. Guessing they are, but it never hurts to verify.

Where are you measuring too by the way? Right at the top seam?

Paul

OP
OP
m_m70

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Hey Paul,
Passenger side tub is the one with issues. It's only the top that's different. the bottom is at 14" where it has to be to clear the coils and shock mount. I did get this from you guys so I'll call in the am to see if this is a fluke or some change in design.

thx

Attachments

• wheel well 2.jpg
    wheel well 2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 56
  • wheel well 1.jpg
    wheel well 1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
m_m70

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Verified with WH that their part is wider than stock and that is the only one they sell.

Went with other vendor for OEM size. Not ranting but would have been nice to know this.

OP
OP
m_m70

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
yeah there's really no description whether it's OEM or not. I should have called to check I guess. I did leave a review stating the dimensions are different than stock so if someone is looking to do an OEM resto they can see it's not stock and make their decision off that.
Wouldn't be that big of deal but it affects the way my heater hose, dipstick and wiring is currently routed.

All good, got the OEM size ordered and should get tomorrow.

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a 351 C in mine and it's already tight, I would just hate to have it any tighter than what it already is.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Verified with WH that their part is wider than stock and that is the only one they sell.

That's crazy. I was not aware of that, and it's a tight enough fit in there already.

That should be in there description if it's not!

Agree 100% and I'll see if I can make that change.

yeah there's really no description whether it's OEM or not. I should have called to check I guess.

Not really. Unless specified otherwise, you would have no reason to expect it to be different. No reason to call and check then.

I did leave a review stating the dimensions are different than stock so if someone is looking to do an OEM resto they can see it's not stock and make their decision off that.

Good. Thanks for doing that.
It's a good first step towards getting the description "accurized".

I have a 351C in mine and it's already tight, I would just hate to have it any tighter than what it already is.

Even stock it's tight. Headers, heater hoses, larger engine swaps, just make it more so.

Thanks for bringing this up m_m. Now we'll see what's up at our end.
If anything, a narrower version would be a benefit!
Hmm, a wider top (for working and storage) that necks down just underneath to less than stock width. Makes more room for heater hoses, headers and all that cool stuff. Heck, the heater hoses could be mounted to the underside of the top overhang! There we go. The new classicbroncos.com high-clearance wheel house. Kind of like they do on pre-'69 Mustangs when they want to put wider engines in.

Thanks again m_m. And very sorry you had to go through this, and be the first to bring it up.
Let us know how the "regular" one works out.

Paul

OP
OP
m_m70

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
No worries Paul. The reasoning I got from WH was they're wider to accommodate larger tire sizes.