• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gauge cluster refurbishing

OP
OP
fallingdown

fallingdown

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
30885091270_9d67da667b_k.jpg

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When you can, post up the year of the Bronco the cluster is out of too. I know you have in some cases, but since some have the hash marks on the inside of the numbers, some on the outside, some have that little extra line in the higher speed range and some don't, it'd be nice to know what years had what.
This way we can tap this resource (you) and track down when the changes were made.

And did you say some of the center marks were Yellow already, or are you just doing that yourself per-request?

Thanks

Paul

OP
OP
fallingdown

fallingdown

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
When you can, post up the year of the Bronco the cluster is out of too. I know you have in some cases, but since some have the hash marks on the inside of the numbers, some on the outside, some have that little extra line in the higher speed range and some don't, it'd be nice to know what years had what.
This way we can tap this resource (you) and track down when the changes were made.

And did you say some of the center marks were Yellow already, or are you just doing that yourself per-request?

Thanks

Paul

Paul,

I would be happy to post the year of the vehicle when i know it but unfortunately most people don't tell me the year Bronco it came out of and others don't know because the gauges were changed out years ago.

as for the yellow tick marks, those are custom overlays I made up.

Thanks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Kevin. I was kind of thinking that was the case, but thought I'd ask anyway. It's always nice to know the little details about our rigs and their history.

Paul

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
Keven,
Yeah, the middle pic on #169 looks like an entirely different gage. Ever see one like that B 4. What yr stuff did U order to replace in it, none? U seen alota bronk gauges...
I parted out 3 - 4 (none of the '60s vintage) just to make my 1 and none had a gauge like that.

Nelson

Loc.
Sulphur, LA
Excellent job Kevin. I can't wait to see it in the bronco w/LED's. I showed a friend and he will be contacting you when he is ready to do his. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Nelson

ksbronco75

Contributor
Sending mine first thing in the morning... I think my Dad is just as excited as me to get it back!!

OP
OP
fallingdown

fallingdown

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Kevin, My speedo reads 1/2 of actual speed. What causes this?

It could be a few different thing. A lifted truck with oversized tires will not read correctly. A damaged head unit will also cause an incorrect reading.

Broncrick

Loc.
Nevada City,CA
Ok, here are the before and after pictures of Rick E's gauge cluster. As you can see this cluster had sustained significant water damage over the years. I was able to salvage two of the three auxiliary gauges and the fourth (amp gauge) was replace with a voltmeter. The gauge faces were so corroded that I had to add black overlays to correct the damage. The corrosion had eaten right through the middle of the fuel gauge needle so that was replaced also the green turn signal lens was missing so i added a new one of those.

This gauge was a lot of fun to refurbish. Obviously gauges in this condition present the biggest challenges and also end up being the most gratifying to repair.

Thanks for the challenge Rick!!

RickE1.jpg
[/IMG]

RickE3.jpg
[/IMG]

RickE4.jpg
[/IMG]

Looks great! found out the whole rig went swimming in salt water %) going to be lots of fun restomodding this one ;D
Rick-

techlaf

Contributor
Just got my gauge cluster back from Kevin via FedEx today. Mine was in decent shape, but I got it cleaned up, repaired, and Voltmeter installed. It looks great and can't wait to get back in the truck.

elkarcher

Bronco Guru
on its way in the morning. Just thought i would give every one a before pic. Its not in really good shape.

Attachments

• 100_4615.jpg
    100_4615.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 80
  • 100_4616.jpg
    100_4616.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 81