• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painless Wiring Bronco- Your input appreciated

OP
OP
eric0o1

eric0o1

the new harness will come with a new plastic glovebox with all the neccessary mounting holes for the fuse block already in it. I will post a picture as soon as I have another one in hand.This will alow the late '71 and up guys to mount the fuse block in the stock location. This also means that the 66-early 71's will move the fuseblcok from the firewall to the glovebox. I'm sure ther will be a few guys who do not like the idea of their fuseblcok being in the glovebox and want it in the afactory location, but putting in the glove box was the best decision I believe. It's easy to get to, it moves the fuse block up higher from the floor pan (for you guys who like playing in the water), and it seemed to be the preferred location throughtout the Bronco community. For those of you who have an older version of our 20 circuit, we will probably be offering the glovebox for purchase seperately so you to can have this advantage. I will also be providing a template in the instruction manual for you guys with the steel boxes that will allow you to cut your box to mount the fuse block if you so desire. If someone doesn't want to mount ithe fuseblcok in the glovebox, there is enough length that they could hide it anywhere under the dash from about midppoint of the dash over to the passenger side.

smoktf250

Any ideas to what the price is going to be on the new system? Im might sell my brand new 12 cuircuit.

OP
OP
eric0o1

eric0o1

there's no way to tell for sure at this time as I haven't got a qutoe on labor cost from production. the harness with switches should sale for close to what our current 10108 sells for. The harness without switches will of course be cheaper.

Last edited:
OP
OP
eric0o1

eric0o1

Time for another manual diagram. Here is the drawing showing the wires connecting to the headlight switchand where each of these wires connect to or come from. The component schematics will of course be accompanied by another drawing showing the pin out of the switch without all the other stuff

HEADLIGHTSWITCHSCHEMATIC.jpg

ransil

Bronco Guru
After several delays with production I finally have my production sample. I have been doing all of my diagrams and drawings for the manual, and created a "Power Braid Kit" for this harness in the mean time. Check out our website for power braid details.The manual will include schematics to just about the whole harness broken up into indiviual components. For example I have drawings for the headlight switch, wiper switch, and ignition switch (see below) showing the wire's color, printed information that may be on the wire, other wires that wire may splice with,and where the wire originates. We've never gone into that much detail to show the customer exactly which wires have in line splices, much less showing you were those splices lead to. I am waiting to get a glove box from my supplier to start the install on Rob's Bronco. I'm also trying to locate some grommets that will fit into the holes in the firewall, but i believe i found a supplier for those this morning. I just thought I'd update you guys on where we're at and to let you know progress is being made daily on getting this out to you.
IGNITIONSWITCHSCHEMATIC.jpg

In the instructions it would be nice to know what color wire has "start' Start run" and 'Run" voltages. I just worked with a centech harness and it was a bit confusing to get the correct wire for what I wanted.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Eric,
Nice work on the schematics.. You really put some time into them.. Already comparing them to the older manual and this color schematics blows it away.....
Thank you for your hard work..
Aloha,
Honorio

OP
OP
eric0o1

eric0o1

to answer ransil's question.
I've got drawings of both fuse blocks showing which wires come from a constant battery source or a switched source. I would post them, but I'm not comfortable showing our full fuseblock schematic over the open forum. I know they will be online in the manual once the product is released, but that will be managements decision at that point and not mine.

I was hoping to have the harness ready by the end of next month, however, I'm behind about 2 weeks from that goal. SO now I'm shooting for september. Alot of the time from here on out is prettyu much depding on how fast my test installs can get done. However I never like to rush the installation of a test harness. I like for them to take their time and do it just as they would if they had paid for the product. I may not be able to send my test harnesses out for another month.

Honorio, hopefully you'll never again need schematic drawings when your out on a trail. However if you do need one, now you have them with the haress you'll be getting. The only down side is, our instructions ship in black and white. It's just not cost effective for us at this point, with so few color manuals at this time, to bring in a full color printer. The color vesion to this manual will have to be downloaded from our website. We did however talk about possibly trying start printing this manual as well as the other color manuals in their full color last week. It is certainly something everyone knows needs to be done, it's just finding the correct way to go about doing it without costing everyone a ton.

Last edited:
OP
OP
eric0o1

eric0o1

In the instructions it would be nice to know what color wire has "start' Start run" and 'Run" voltages. I just worked with a centech harness and it was a bit confusing to get the correct wire for what I wanted.

to add to what i've already said about the fuse block drawings. All wires you say that have a #900 series numbers have wire print on them. In the case of the ignition switch drawing, the orange wire has print that says "#932 Accessory B+", the green/black says "#933 Switched B+ (ignition switch output). Also, at the back of the manual there will be a wire index. it will list every wire according to each break out in the harness. I break my harnesses out according to the switches they go to. Again see the 10111, starting on page 33, the wire index for the bronco will be done in the same manner.http://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/90560Manual.pdf

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Eric,
The headlight switch diagram is very cool and,if it is representative of the rest of the diagrams, is fantastic overall. I especially like the graphics showing the switch (for example, the dimmer switch image) next to the terminal in the diagram. This is what the factory should have provided. Fool proof. Really incredible job. There will still be some confusions, but this will reduce the number greatly. An accomplishment in itself!

OP
OP
eric0o1

eric0o1

All of the switch drawings and schematics are in the same "format". If the wire ends in a connector, the connector is also on the drawing with the wire going to the correct location.

ransil

Bronco Guru
to add to what i've already said about the fuse block drawings. All wires you say that have a #900 series numbers have wire print on them. In the case of the ignition switch drawing, the orange wire has print that says "#932 Accessory B+", the green/black says "#933 Switched B+ (ignition switch output). Also, at the back of the manual there will be a wire index. it will list every wire according to each break out in the harness. I break my harnesses out according to the switches they go to. Again see the 10111, starting on page 33, the wire index for the bronco will be done in the same manner.http://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/90560Manual.pdf

This is what I talking about:
"Electric Fuel Pump
7.9.1 Located near the fuse block, there is a coil of Orange wire labeled # 947 “FUEL
PUMP B+”. This wire runs to the fuel tank connector located in the TAIL SECTION.
This wire is there for the convenience of those using an electric in tank FUEL PUMP.
Those running an in-line pump can simply remove this wire from the connector at the
fuel tank. If an electric pump is being used, #947 needs to be connected to the
OUTPUT side of a Fuel Pump Relay (Painless Part # 50102 or # 30131)."

I would expect an electric fuel pump lead to have +12 in start & run, B+ to me means "+12 volts all the time" When wiring a vehicle battery power is not going to be available to test out different circuits to figure out what wire is has +12 all the time, +12 in run, +12 in start and +12 in run & start.

That jeep harness is scary with all those crimp on splices.

OP
OP
eric0o1

eric0o1

Actually looking back on it now, I should have simply just labeled it fuel pump relay output. With the fuseblock diagrams and schematic drawings I have, this kind of confusion shouldn't happen

All of those crimps are due to the factory connectors and terminals being obsolete, there's really no way around them. The main one being the 2 plugs at the steering column for the indicator light printed circuit board.With the exception of the rear wiper motor connector, they all just go to indicator lights so there is no real amperage moving through them. I searched off and on for over 8 months trying to find a YJ that even had a rear wiper and never came up with one. So those splices will only be on a very select few vehicles. At the same time, there aren't as many splices in that harness as what most aftermarket harnesses have, regardless of what application it is. I think the fact that they are all pictured makes it seem like more that usual though. If it's of any peace of mind to you though, the only connections that are really spliced on this bronco harness are the wires for the ignition module . I am going to include the factory terminals so that can be avoided though.

OP
OP
eric0o1

eric0o1

Does anyone know the dimensions of the rectangular holes left behind when you remove a factory firewall mounted fuse block? I'm trying to figure out if the block off plate we provide is the right size. Again, I'm not trying to be lazy, it's just easier to find an answer here than it is to find a local Bronco, drive to wherever it is, and measure for myself.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Does anyone know the dimensions of the rectangular holes left behind when you remove a factory firewall mounted fuse block? I'm trying to figure out if the block off plate we provide is the right size. Again, I'm not trying to be lazy, it's just easier to find an answer here than it is to find a local Bronco, drive to wherever it is, and measure for myself.

Eric:

They're 0.625" wide and 1.25" tall.

Todd Z.

rharrell

Loc.
Benton, LA
to answer ransil's question.
The only down side is, our instructions ship in black and white. It's just not cost effective for us at this point, with so few color manuals at this time, to bring in a full color printer. The color vesion to this manual will have to be downloaded from our website. We did however talk about possibly trying start printing this manual as well as the other color manuals in their full color last week. It is certainly something everyone knows needs to be done, it's just finding the correct way to go about doing it without costing everyone a ton.

Eric, I would be just thrilled if we could download the manual after purchase. That way we could either just use the pdf file or print it with our own color printer and save some dinero. Thanks for all your hard work. Can't wait to see the finished product.

OP
OP
eric0o1

eric0o1

Eric, I would be just thrilled if we could download the manual after purchase. That way we could either just use the pdf file or print it with our own color printer and save some dinero. Thanks for all your hard work. Can't wait to see the finished product.

You really don't even have to wait untill after you purchase it. Anyone can download any instruction manual for every harness we sale. As soon as a product it released for production, the manual goes up on our website. In fact, there are lots of times when people buy competitors harnesses, but will download our manual to use the diagrams we provide to factory charging, starting, or ignition systems. I'm still up in the air about that whole issue. On one hand it's satisfying knowing we're helping people who have worked hard to get that project car or truck done, regardless if they bought our product or not. Then on the other hand, we spend a lot of time doing those manuals for some other company to reap the monitary benifits from it. It's nothing I or any of the other engineers lose sleep over, oh well what can you do?