• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • The Classifieds forum is a place to buy and sell, not an open forum for people to give their opinions on Bronco values. Unless the seller specifically asks for help on pricing, please don't critique quality or asking price. If you're not interested then move on.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

SOLD Fuel sending unit for 23 gallon rear tanks - New option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark1911

Go back and re-read my comments in Post #18 on my thoughts regarding how much fuel I think will be left in the tank when this sender is on 'E'.

Todd Z.
Todd Z. Ok I just did some measurements the "old school" way as to exactly how many gallons will be left in the BC bronco "Sherman" tank and the 11" sender. I took the tank to the fuel station, empty of course and on a level surface. I started adding fuel until I reached 11" from the mounting position of the sender to the fuel level I put in the tank, yes your calculations as to how much fuel will be remaining when the gauge reads empty are absolutely correct! it's dead on three and a half gallons that will be remaining in the tank when the fuel gauge reads empty. But you already know that.....
Mark.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Todd Z. Ok I just did some measurements the "old school" way as to exactly how many gallons will be left in the BC bronco "Sherman" tank and the 11" sender. I took the tank to the fuel station, empty of course and on a level surface. I started adding fuel until I reached 11" from the mounting position of the sender to the fuel level I put in the tank, yes your calculations as to how much fuel will be remaining when the gauge reads empty are absolutely correct! it's dead on three and a half gallons that will be remaining in the tank when the fuel gauge reads empty. But you already know that.....
Mark.

I like your methods! Always good to have some verification on what was just a quick measurement and calculation on my part. Based on what Paul wrote earlier this morning though, I'm curious at what point your gauge starts moving off of 'E'.

Todd Z.

Mark1911

I like your methods! Always good to have some verification on what was just a quick measurement and calculation on my part. Based on what Paul wrote earlier this morning though, I'm curious at what point your gauge starts moving off of 'E'.

Todd Z.
Do not know as of yet, I am still in the process of making decisions and calculations before I purchase the sender and make modifications to the tank. I I am sorry I don't have more info.
Mark

OP
OP
H

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
I want everyone to be satisfied. It was designed for the 13-13.5 depth after talking with manufacturer and desire not to suck up bottom of tank junk. If there is a desire I can do a special order, thinking 13 inches long? Would need 10 people interested. They recommend at least 1 inch from bottom.

pbwcr

To clarify my measurement. I drained the tank before removing it by pumping the fuel out via the fuel pump into jerry cans. (Ha, I put the removed fuel in my empty F150).
Then I removed the tank and installed the DE sender and added exactly 5 gallons from a previously fill second jerry tank. I did not use the jerry tanks that I used for removing the fuel because a full tank is heavy and I did not measure the fuel removed. Anyway I drove 8 miles to the nearest gas station and recorded my gauge readings. it is possible that the new sender has a small degree of stickiness at the empty position, but none was detected before install?
For sure I would want a longer DE sender.
Eric, the sender should reach the bottom of the tank. The BC tank suction tube sucks from the bottom of the tank so the sender is of no consequences as to reaching the bottom of the tank.. Make it longer. Use Todd's measurements for the length and make it a 1/4 to 3/8 shorter than the distance from the square plate to the bottom of the tank
I hope this helps, PaulW

pbwcr

Mark & Todd
Remember the physics. The float in the new sender will need gas above the bottom float before moving due to the buoyancy of the float. That is why it is necessary to have the new sender as low as possible near the bottom of the tank. I like 1/4" clearance to account for possible manufacturing variations of the tank.

If either of you have the tank removed what is the measurement from the top of the square plate (including the gasket) to the bottom of the tank?
PW

bentendo

I want everyone to be satisfied. It was designed for the 13-13.5 depth after talking with manufacturer and desire not to suck up bottom of tank junk. If there is a desire I can do a special order, thinking 13 inches long? Would need 10 people interested. They recommend at least 1 inch from bottom.

I’d be happier with a taller sending unit range of motion. Maybe not the full 13” depth, but 12.5-.75”?

That said, I’m just happy to have a vague notion of how much gas I have!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shill37

The BC 23 gallon EFI tank I have is 14.5 from top of the plate to the bottom of the tank. What I've read is manufactures recommend anywhere from 1/2" to 1" from the bottom of the tank for the sender. I think a 14" sender would be perfect for the BC tank.

Mark1911

Mark & Todd
Remember the physics. The float in the new sender will need gas above the bottom float before moving due to the buoyancy of the float. That is why it is necessary to have the new sender as low as possible near the bottom of the tank. I like 1/4" clearance to account for possible manufacturing variations of the tank.

If either of you have the tank removed what is the measurement from the top of the square plate (including the gasket) to the bottom of the tank?
PW

PW. Ok the BC tank measures 14.5” including the gasket to the bottom of the tank. I put 1.5 gal of fuel in the tank, level tank of course. And the measurement is 13” from plate gasket to the fuel level in the tank. I’ll add more fuel tomorrow 1/2 gal at a time and post the measurements. Hopefully this is some sort of help. I always tend to complicate and way over think stuff.
Mark

Mark1911

Also I would think one to two gallons of reserve fuel, at the most, would be nice after the gauge reads empty. Not really a good idea to run on reserve though. But nice.
Mark.

JDub66347

Just received the sending unit and drilled the holes, I've got a WH Sherman tank and did not realize this would not reach the bottom. I too would like a longer unit if enough people are interested. Thanks, Jon

Rumcustom

I got mine (in person) the other day. Great looking sending unit. I’ll hold onto it and install it the next time I drop my tank. Thanks Eric. Great job on theses.

PDQ

Contributor
I am very interested in the "longer" version for the BC tank. Thank you

PM sent

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I'm going to list mine for sale in the classifieds if anyone's interested. I have another option I'm going to try.

Thanks,
Todd Z.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
A lot of us have the Aero tank. I'll take one of the longer units when its available. Thanks.;)

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do you have any of the longer ones avail? If not do you have plans to order any? I have Wild Horses (Sherman) tank. I am interested in one if available.

JSBX

Contributor
I am interested in the longer one for my BC Broncos tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.