• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painless Wiring Bronco- Your input appreciated

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Are the late '72/early '73 switch locations the same relative to each other? The only big difference being the label lights? I think they moved late '72. And the emergency flasher switch moved to the column in '75 when they went to the F-Series steering wheel.

Todd Z.

My 74 was built in Jan 74 and has the flasher switch on the column along with the lighted gear indicator.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
My 74 was built in Jan 74 and has the flasher switch on the column along with the lighted gear indicator.

Interesting - I stand corrected. I guess the move of the flasher switch coincided with the indicator lighting instead of the steering wheel change.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
eric0o1

eric0o1

I'm glad others are learning some bronco "history" along with me in all of this. Now I don't feel like the dumb new kid in the class who asks too many questions. I think it's safe to say 72 was the year switches moved locations, nothing that effects my harness, but they do change positions.

I am currently drawing diagrams and doing what I can to the instruction manual without any instalation notes. This should give a huge jump start on getting that done as soon as I get Rob's Bronco done.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So it might have been another one of those running changes then. Or not, considering your '72 is literally at the cusp of '73 (as proven by your '73 being built the same month).
Back in '75 I had three friends all with '72 Broncos (2 Explorers and 1 basic) and their dash layouts, other than color, were the same as my '71.
Back then though, we never bothered to make note of what month each was made, so I can't add a precise timeframe to the change based on their trucks.

Hmm, I do have another friend though, with what I think is a mid to late '72 so I'll give his the once-over to see how his is oriented and what the production date is.
The reason I think it's a late '72 is that it has the cutout in the core support for the later version's cold-air intake. Even though it had a standard, early model "hot-air" snorkle on the air cleaner housing. Seems to me that after I asked that question, we looked and it was made in May or something like that.

So MarsChariot, sounds like yours is as late as it could possibly be and still be called a '72! Not many times did an October-built vehicle keep that year's designation. I know there are plenty of exception years with all manufacturers though and it sounds like '73 was one of them.
By that time Ford was so close to adding the new model-year specific layouts that you probably got the new setup officially slated for '73. Kind of like the very few that had automatic transmissions and J-shift t-cases in their '72 rigs.
Does yours have the cutout for the cold-air intake as well? Did it still come with the early or later model air-filter housing? Auto or manual? T-shift or J?
Just curious.

Paul

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Eric,

Here are some pics of the column connector. I have replaced the turn sig. sw. once but the wire colors do match the original harness, just a different shade. The wiring and colors on both sides also match the connector diagram below. Disregard the zip tie holding it together.

75 F100-350 used the same connector and mostly the same wiring. I believe the only difference is the addition of a blue/black wire in one of the empty connector slots if equipped with cruise control.

I also used to own a 72 and it had the haz sw in the dash. Can't remember it's born-on date though.

Attachments

• c-321.jpg
    c-321.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Bronco 121 small.jpg
    Bronco 121 small.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Bronco 124 small.jpg
    Bronco 124 small.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Bronco 125 small.jpg
    Bronco 125 small.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Bronco 128 small.jpg
    Bronco 128 small.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
eric0o1

eric0o1

those pictures confirmed what I had on all my paperwork. doing diagrams for the manual made me start 2nd guessing myself and I just wanted to be sure. Thanks a lot

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Toddz69,
That is correct. Just the switch locations changed on the '72, but no labels lights.
DirtDonk,
Not sure about the cold air cut-out. Now I am curious and will have to check. Certainly present in the '73. There were certainly running changes, that is for certain. For example, the '72 had factory power steering, which was not officially around until '73. But the '72 was also a T-shift transfer case as was my '73. The '71 is classic "'71 1/2", that is, front Dana 44 etc.

OP
OP
eric0o1

eric0o1

After several delays with production I finally have my production sample. I have been doing all of my diagrams and drawings for the manual, and created a "Power Braid Kit" for this harness in the mean time. Check out our website for power braid details.The manual will include schematics to just about the whole harness broken up into indiviual components. For example I have drawings for the headlight switch, wiper switch, and ignition switch (see below) showing the wire's color, printed information that may be on the wire, other wires that wire may splice with,and where the wire originates. We've never gone into that much detail to show the customer exactly which wires have in line splices, much less showing you were those splices lead to. I am waiting to get a glove box from my supplier to start the install on Rob's Bronco. I'm also trying to locate some grommets that will fit into the holes in the firewall, but i believe i found a supplier for those this morning. I just thought I'd update you guys on where we're at and to let you know progress is being made daily on getting this out to you.
IGNITIONSWITCHSCHEMATIC.jpg

smoktf250

Can anyone explain to me what the main differance is betweent he old 12 curcuit and the new 20 circuit. And yes I understand that one has 12 fuses and the other has 20 :) but other than that is there any differances? I have a 12 cuircuit I bought new still in the oem box never touched since im stillin the middle of the restore. Trying to decide if I should get the new harnesss.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Can anyone explain to me what the main differance is betweent he old 12 curcuit and the new 20 circuit. And yes I understand that one has 12 fuses and the other has 20 :) but other than that is there any differances? I have a 12 cuircuit I bought new still in the oem box never touched since im stillin the middle of the restore. Trying to decide if I should get the new harnesss.
The 12 circuit box will fit in the stock ashtray hole.. The new 20 circuit fusebox will not....

Attachments

• DSC01008.JPG
    DSC01008.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC01009.JPG
    DSC01009.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 74
OP
OP
eric0o1

eric0o1

the only difference is the fuse block. The only reason for the fuse block change was that we were no longer able to get the 12 circuit weather proof fuse block. There really wouldn't be a need to get a new harness unless you wanted the extra curcuits. There is a night and day difference in the harness you have and the one I'm about to release, however, ther harness you have will get the job done.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
That is excellent news about the grommets for the firewall. In the past details like grommets were left to the user to figure out. As I have said before, it’s the details that separate a good design and installation of anything from the so-so.

Anyone with some technical knowledge and persistence can build a harness that works and maybe even looks good. But it sounds like this will be a masterpiece designed by an artist. This harness is going to be the envy of all the old iron folks out there. And folks will point to the early Bronco harness from Painless as the standard. Old Broncos are leading the way again. It’s, well, awesome!

ShortBus

Hey Eric! Those instructions look so cool! I am use to getting an, off center, photo copy of some instruction page with electrical type items. It is refreshing to see this type of detail. People will look forward to the install, rather getting lost in the inturpretation of the directions. I think that everyone is impressed with the effort that you are putting into this. This type of instruction will influence people who didn't even want to do a new harness; to go ahead and do it! It is always nice to know exactly what you have when it comes to the electrical system in your vehicle. This is freak'in great! I can't wait to show it off. :)

Rob

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
This is looking like the harness I am going to buy, I'm loving your attention to detail, add how your are making it the most complete kit out there. I do have one question for you Eric; After spending all this time on a "Bronco" specific harness and having all this time alone with Rob's Bronco, along with hanging out with this top notch Bronco crwod....................................When are you getting one of your own?

OP
OP
eric0o1

eric0o1

Thanks for the kind words guys.

The kit will include exactly what is shown in the picture Rob linked to. However, it will have all the correct lengths of the correct sizes. That way you aren't paying for sizes you won't need and be short on the sizes you do need. It comes with almost 100' total of 4 different sizes (1/8, 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4). It also includes zip ties, heatshrink, and a roll of self vulcanizing tape. Rob, the harness I am installing in your Bronco will have this power braid kit on it. I am using your install to confirm I have enough length of the correct sizes.

I can't wait to post a finished instruction manual for you guys to read. I usually go into pretty good detail in my manuals, but Honario's experience of being out on the trail with his kids and having the electrical problems he had made me want to include more than what is need in order to install the harness.

I'd really like to have a bronco actually, but most would cringe at what I'd like to see done. I'm into street/stip vehicles. I love vehicles that can be driven to the dragstrip, run some good times, and then be driven home. I feel in love with '69 fastbacks when I did the 69-70 mustang harness a couple years ago. That's saying a lot for a guy who is loyal to Chevrolet. However, if I did get a Bronco I'm sure I'd have lots of time to tinker with it, because I'm almost positive my wife would divorce me. I've been building a street/strip '89 chevy 1/2 ton for the past 7 years now, trying to buy parts when I found good deals or when I had the money without taking away anything I'd be spending on her or my kids. It should be a pretty fun toy when I'm done. It's got an injected 383 with a D1-SC Procharger and lowered 5-8. I'm currently trying to find some wheels that will tuck into the fenders. She's already convinced I'll never finish it and another project would probably be the end.

Last edited:

Crewwzin

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Freeport, Fl
I'd really like to have a bronco actually, but most would cringe at what I'd like to see done. I'm into street/stip vehicles. I love vehicles that can be driven to the dragstrip, run some good times, and then be driven home. I feel in love with '69 fastbacks when I did the 69-70 mustang harness a couple years ago. That's saying a lot for a guy who is loyal to Chevrolet. However, if I did get a Bronco I'm sure I'd have lots of time to tinker with it, because I'm almost positive my wife would divorce me. I've been building a street/strip '89 chevy 1/2 ton for the past 7 years now, trying to buy parts when I found good deals or when I had the money without taking away anything I'd be spending on her or my kids. It should be a pretty fun toy when I'm done. It's got an injected 383 with a D1-SC Procharger and lowered 5-8. I'm currently trying to find some wheels that will tuck into the fenders. She's already convinced I'll never finish it and another project would probably be the end.

Thats the great thing about Broncos...they are cool however you build them. There are a couple of guys on here building 2wd street rigs. That will be my next project. Buy one, build it, drag race the hell out of it. Nobody will think anything less of you, I promise.

Thank you for the wonderful effort you're putting into this. Like has been said before, I bet the rest of the classic world wished they had a harness as cool as ours.

Baja71

Bronco Guru
the only difference is the fuse block. The only reason for the fuse block change was that we were no longer able to get the 12 circuit weather proof fuse block. There really wouldn't be a need to get a new harness unless you wanted the extra curcuits. There is a night and day difference in the harness you have and the one I'm about to release, however, ther harness you have will get the job done.

Where is this new, larger fuse block intended to be located? I don't mind trimming a cardboard glovebox, but I'm staying as stock as possible. Is this giong under the dash somewhere?