• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Landsharks 76er Refresh and Build

landshark99

Bronco Guru
So i unoffically started on the 76 this weekend, unofficially because I still have a 72 Fj40 that I have been doing a TBI conversion on and I need to get out of my garage before i can get the bronco in there. However since i was waiting on a radiator for the FJ and haven't had a chance to really look over the bronco since i bought her I did a few things..

So this is how I bought her:

IMG_0205.JPG

First thing i did was remove the fugly front bumper and winch. I was lucky to talk to the original owner when I flew up to get the bronco and he still had the stock bumper, so I swapped it in. I swear the bronco raised up a few inches without all that weight on it...

IMG_4228.JPG

Then I removed the mud flaps... they must be required in Montana, but not here and they look kinda weird on a little truck ;)

I noticed I have an aftermarket tow frame and electrical hookups, I think I will remove that as well, i really want to get the bronco down to the basics to track down my electrical gremlins and honestly dont' think I will ever tow anything.. i will keep the stuff around just in case.

Looking over the interior I decided to rip out he natty carpet and see what I had under there.. so started in the rear and worked my way forward.

Removed the rear carpet on the tailgate..
IMG_4230.JPG

Gross carpet up front...

IMG_4231.JPG

Ripped out the plastic covering in the back.. not too bad but pretty gross as well...

IMG_4233.JPG

Rear seats out...

IMG_4234.JPG

Hmmmmm not too bad so far.

IMG_4235.JPG

rear floor carpet and rubber mat is out... doesn't look too bad...

IMG_4237.JPG

Got the front seats out.. looking pretty good under there...

IMG_4238.JPG

Looks like the build sheet if iam not mistaken? too bad its not in the rear like the later broncos.. might have been saved...

IMG_4240.JPG

IMG_4243.JPG

After a vacuum and a good wipedown the inside looks pretty good, found a few spots with what i hope is surface rust.. and ford went nutty on the glue ont he drivers side wheel well.. but other than that pretty happy so far...

IMG_4246.JPG

IMG_4247.JPG

IMG_4248.JPG

IMG_4250.JPG

IMG_4252.JPG

IMG_4253.JPG

IMG_4256.JPG

IMG_4259.JPG

IMG_4260.JPG

IMG_4263.JPG

So thats where i left it last night.. I have a line on a new set of carpet and hold downs so thats great, however while i have the interior out I'm thinking i should have someone take a look at the little areas fo rust and see what they recommend. I'm really not a body guy and don't really know whats involved as far as rust areas and body work in particular so need some advice...

also I was thinking of using a wire wheel on the wheel wells to get the glue off but would hate to take the paint off in the process. Anyone have any idea on how i can dissolve the glue on there? since I'm covering it agian with carpet most likely does it really matter? should I look at other alternatives for covering the back?

I will probably take off the side panels since they are kinda hideous anyway and inspect the metal there however not sure what I will do with those side panels.. recover? replace? leave out?

The seats are in pretty good shape and honestly its not a high priority to have them recovered at this point but I dont think i want the original yellow paint staring at me in the face either, with the new carpet in i will still need to do something back there.. suggestions?

pipermike

I think that's what they call "a survivor" looks great! Have Fun with it.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
OK I'm confused (normal) What color did it start life as White,or blue and where did the green Interior come from.
You look like a tool guy (Milwaukee) .Do you have one of the Ocilating (sp) tools ,like a Fein or Dremmel.Not a rotary tool but the latest craze,it ocilates 3 degrees,many uses ,but what would work on that glue is the scraper blade. I have a Bosch variety and use it all the time,
.I even scraped the hand painted stripe off my fiberglass motorhome without damageing the gel coat.
Your going to make a lot of guys sick with those floors...

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
OK I'm confused (normal) What color did it start life as White,or blue and where did the green Interior come from.
You look like a tool guy (Milwaukee) .Do you have one of the Ocilating (sp) tools ,like a Fein or Dremmel.Not a rotary tool but the latest craze,it ocilates 3 degrees,many uses ,but what would work on that glue is the scraper blade. I have a Bosch variety and use it all the time,
.I even scraped the hand painted stripe off my fiberglass motorhome without damageing the gel coat.
Your going to make a lot of guys sick with those floors...

well from what i understand i guess it was light green from the factory as the ranger with that interior only came in light green and dark green. The original owner had it painted blue later on... (he told me the original color was yellow but i guess hes color blind too, lol)

I picked up both Milwaukee tools from a sale a few months ago... my old cordless was not cutting it...

hmm i will look into using that dremel head.. i know the one you are talking about... i will be scratching the crap out of it no matter what i use..

The pan is surprisingly nice.. i couldn't believe it when i pulled the carpet out...

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Check your vin plate in the glove box or the sticker on the driver's side striker post. Looks like Color Code U Glen Green?? Awesome color for a Ranger.

You got incredibly lucky on the rust on that one! As stated before, some of the cleanest floor pans I have seen.

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
Nice. That light green was the original color of my 76. Floors look great! You got lucky!

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
wow, that tub is incredible.

What are your long term plans? If you want to keep a top on it and re-carpet it, consider doing the dynamat (or off brand version fatmat). I just did mine this weekend and carpeted over it and it is night and day difference from before in regardles to ride quality for rattle.

Great looking rig.

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
Can I buy that from you?;D

sure how much you got ;)

I know how lucky iam so far... i looked a long time for one that would need minimal body work, i have very very little experience in that regard.

Check your vin plate in the glove box or the sticker on the driver's side striker post. Looks like Color Code U Glen Green?? Awesome color for a Ranger.

You got incredibly lucky on the rust on that one! As stated before, some of the cleanest floor pans I have seen.

the door tag and my glovebox don't have the color code on them that i know of.. i will look again but i think iam going to have to look on the frame rail as i believe thats where the other VIN tag is? I haven't even had a chance to get under the bronco but there is lots of grim under there...

wow, that tub is incredible.

What are your long term plans? If you want to keep a top on it and re-carpet it, consider doing the dynamat (or off brand version fatmat). I just did mine this weekend and carpeted over it and it is night and day difference from before in regardles to ride quality for rattle.

Great looking rig.

Well iam formulating a plan now.. but I think long term I want to modernize it for reliability, safety and of course fun, maybe a LUBAR build. For now the top will remain on, iam sort of on the fence with doing anything like rhino lining or using POR so Dynomat might be a better option. One day I will do a body off paint job on it so I want to keep that in mind...

Last edited:

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
Kleen-strip make a spray rust reformer that converts surface rust.I would try that.

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
So i figured I would post up a couple more pics as I go so the thread isn't so boring. Found a little rust in the engine bay.. both on the sides above the wheel well..

pasenger-rust.jpg

drivers-rust.jpg

I will pull the fenders off here soon and patch them up...

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
the door tag and my glovebox don't have the color code on them that i know of.. i will look again but i think iam going to have to look on the frame rail as i believe thats where the other VIN tag is? I haven't even had a chance to get under the bronco but there is lots of grim under there...

Thre should be 2 VINs on the frame. Easiest to find is on the top of the passenger frame rail directly under the firewall. But this is only the VIN - no other info. Most of the door tags I've are missing the color code but all of the glove box tags should have it.

The rust on the inner fenders is very common. Even "rust free" CA Broncos will probably have some there. My 74 Ranger has it on both sides and it has no rust anywhere else.

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
Looking good I really like the green interior and blue paint!:p Keep up the work, the floors look great and that should be an easy fix to replace those rusty spots on the inner fenders

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The rust on the inner fenders is very common. Even "rust free" CA Broncos will probably have some there. My 74 Ranger has it on both sides and it has no rust anywhere else.

That's one of the only places mine didn't have rust, go figure.;D

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
Looking good I really like the green interior and blue paint!:p Keep up the work, the floors look great and that should be an easy fix to replace those rusty spots on the inner fenders

ha ya.. well previous owner had it painted years ago.. it probably saved the body somewhat.. i inspected the underbody and it was undercoated.. peeling off now but no rust...

That's one of the only places mine didn't have rust, go figure.;D

ya i was surprised there was no rust on the kick panels. but iam finding a little rust on the rear fender seams, but not too bad.. i will have to get a closer look at it..

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
Not the most interesting update but I decided to do something to the 76 and since i had the rear seat out i might as well see what condition the original covering was since the PO covered them in some swank 80's covers....

the back with the cover
IMG_0290.JPG

with it off...

IMG_0291.JPG

Bottom

IMG_0297b.jpg

removed...

IMG_0298.JPG

and back together..

IMG_0300.JPG

I was surprised that the vinyl was in as good condition as it is.. pretty happy about that as I think I have pretty much decided to return it to the original ranger paint scheme (Glen Green) and interior. I will enjoy your opinions on this over the next few weeks!

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
Leaving it uncut? Looks like its in pretty good shape. Other plans?

leaving it uncut.. lifting it 2.5 in suspension, 1 in body lift.. returning it to original color eventually.. leaving the interior the same, re-leafing the chrome highlights inside.. replacing all the bushings, bearings and sealing the underbody...