• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to remove chrome windshield trim?

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
Need to remove the chrome trim around the windshield before replacing. I am not planning on reinstalling it but it is in good shape and would like to avoid damaging it. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Walt

boomeroid

Loc.
Reno, NV
I used a putty knife and went slow. Start at one corner. As soon as you get a section free, you'll get the idea of how straight-forward it is...
Good Luck

4xfloored

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Bernardino
boomeroid said:
I used a putty knife and went slow. Start at one corner. As soon as you get a section free, you'll get the idea of how straight-forward it is...
Good Luck

yup did the same w/o any issues..;)

mitzel

Contributor
Loc.
Googleplex
Are you saying you're planning to remove and replace the windshield?
If so then I would just remove the windshield first and then the trim
pieces should be very easy to extract from the slots in the gasket.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Man I wish I 'd used the putt knife ...I pulled some off something and man they warped have a 2 foot bend in them ....cant sell them now ..they were good
think they were off the top of doors and maybe windowshield ......
DON'T Use just a screw driver and go slow ...

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
XT700 said:
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Walt
Walt -- if you are removing the windshield, then mitzel is correct - the chrome will just "roll" out of the rubber. If you aren't pulling the windshield, there isn't a way to get the chrome out without damage. Also, if you aren't re-using the chrome, I'm assuming you are going to use new rubber? Without the chrome in that rubber, you won't get a good tight fit on the glass and a) it will leak and/or b) the glass has a chance of coming out. I guess what I'm saying is that you'll need a new rubber (gasket) that is designed to be used without chrome if you don't put the chrome back. Did that rambling make sense?

OP
OP
XT700

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
Coach, I am replacing the windshield and have ordered a non moulding gasket to use when I install it.

Thanks, Walt