• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pitted Spindles - Need Replacing

rtslatta

Hi

I am taking apart my front-end. My driver's side spindle is pitted. Is this normal or does it need replacing? If it is not normal, any ideas on what would have caused the pitting? When I replaced some seals on my rear axle, a previous owner had evidently taken a torch to some old bearings and destroyed the axles. Could that have been done here too?

As way of background, I am doing a drum to power disk swap and a 2.5 inch suspension lift. I am also replacing the ball joints while I am at it. I will have the differential itself worked on by a local shop. I have a refresh kit, but the skill and the tools required are beyond me. I learned that the hard way with the rear diff. which now has some broken teeth. That too will go to a local shop.

Thanks

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_0352.jpg
    IMG_0352.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 147

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Tough call. I've seen worse and used them, but any pitting is a potentially weak spot.
But if they were mine I'd use them, if just for the pitting alone.

However they're also a bit on the burnished side, so I would take some Scotch-Brite or 400grit sandpaper or finer and dress them down just a gnat's hair to see if the surfaces just clean right up.
The area where the bearings reside and the seal surface at the back are important areas too, where as the pitting is not in a critical area.
Don't take lots of material off of course. You're just looking to clean things up a bit to give the new seals a clean and smooth surface to seal, and the bearings a clean surface to ride on.

And speaking of the bearings riding, once the spindles are clean, slide the bearings on to make sure that the newly cleaned surfaces will still hold the bearings. There is some leeway, but if the bearings are too loose then that's a sign of wear and the bearing races may continue to spin on the spindle.

Oh, and the pitting is just from long term moisture exposure I'd say. At some point, there may even have been rust, but during subsequent bearing re-packs, or component replacement, the rust was cleaned off and the pitting remained.
That's what I'd call it anyway. This is the reason for coating every surface inside the hubs and for keeping the seals in good condition. And actually for packing grease into the spindle (inside, where the axle shaft is) and making sure that the hub locking knob is sealed well.

This is something important enough that I'd suggest waiting for 2 or 3 "second opinions" before committing.;D

Paul

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I recall when I did this swap I had to replace the drum spindles with ones that would work with disc brakes.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's a great point AZ. So what discs are you planning to run rtslatta?
Is that the disc spindle, or the old drum spindle?

Paul

OP
OP
R

rtslatta

That's a great point AZ. So what discs are you planning to run rtslatta?
Is that the disc spindle, or the old drum spindle?

Paul

Hi Paul and AZ,

I feel stupid. Yes. I have replacement spindles. Please forget this post.

I have the entire WH hydro boost disc conversion kit. Should have really looked through it.

Thank you for your help.

Rob

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hi Paul and AZ,

I feel stupid. Yes. I have replacement spindles. Please forget this post.

I have the entire WH hydro boost disc conversion kit. Should have really looked through it.

Thank you for your help.

Rob

Rob, there are no stupid questions! Besides, I was wondering what caused your pitting so I might prevent my new ones from pitting.

Good luck with the swap!

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If you must reuse them then rotate the pitted area of the on top so the load on the spindle pits are in compression.