• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fender Mounted Starter Solenoid/Relay

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I installed a high torque starter and was wondering about the fender mounted relay. I read this old thread which didn't seem to clear anything up and devolved into a discussion on if it's a solenoid or a relay, and talked about Chevy heat.

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146522

I don't mind running the starter solenoid/rely, but if there's a chance to clean up the engine compartment by not using it, I might be interested. The issues seem to be heat, ignition switch limits, ignition power, and size of battery cable. Is it worth cleaning up the engine compartment or better to just leave the solenoid?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I would keep it.
Even when Ford changed to the later PMGR starters they still installed the fender mounted relays. If they did not think it was worth the money they would have eliminated them to lower production costs.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Multiple reasons to keep it, but it "can" be done without it. You might have to install a diode to keep feedback from keeping the starter spinning/running-on after you let the key off of START position, but that's doable too.
Then you'd have to get a more robust ignition switch. The actual solenoid that's on the new starter motor uses more current than the fender mounted relay does, so the older switches can lose the battle sometimes.

You can still clean up the wiring a bit by moving the relay to a more suitable location and making/buying new cables to fit the new position. Some have mounted them to the firewall, others behind the battery.
No matter what though, retaining the relay does make some things better.
But it can be eliminated if you really want to. Just more work...

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Battery cable sizes depend on what you want to do, and if you want to cover all bases in case of an emergency.
Bigger battery cables are often better, but you can certainly still get away with smaller ones if you're trying to clean things up a big.

I would not go smaller than 6ga though, if you could even find such a thing. A 2ga size is my go-to these days.
Just because....

Paul

OP
OP
AZ73

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks guys. I'll keep it but find someplace not so out front for it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
One other thing that keeps me using them is something I see Viper pointed out in that older thread you linked to. Using it as a convenient distribution point and even a jump start/charge connection point.

Obviously if it's totally hidden this is not the case, but retaining it somewhere accessible lets you mount more wires out of the way and connect a jumper cable if you can't do it to the battery directly.

I remember another thing about old Chevy vehicles. Even back in the day as early as the late sixties/early seventies, I was already fixing busted, burned, bent and broken and corroded and loose wires that were all joining up at the starter motor/solenoid stud down there in harm's way.
Exhaust heat and engine oil and vibration were really a problem, with not that many years or miles on the vehicles.

Paul