• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'Raptor' Build - Updated 5/1/2012 - It's DONE!

RyanITV

Loc.
Lewes, DE
Is there a record for the number of build threads/restarts on a given build? ;D

My much-delayed Bronco build is finally going to get back on track with a little help from the crew at buildabronco.com. After waiting 14 months to get the body for my 1973 back, I did this past weekend - the only change is that metal is bent, warped and no longer fits like it did when I let the guy take it. :mad:

It can probably be straightened out to be a passable and is pretty solid - but the alignment will never again be what it was and he skipped some of the metal work I wanted done before lining everything. This whole thing has been me refusing to give up - I want my restored, custom Bronco; something I've wanted since I was a kid and tinkering around with old Mustangs. The setback with the body is no different. So I'm left with 2 choices: 1) strip off what he did, start over and try to reverse-engineer where he went wrong or 2) get a solid body and use that.

I'd been talking with Brian Banfield at buildabronco.com about taking over the build, so I can actually enjoy the truck before my 6-year old daughter goes off to college. I'm swamped with work and we've got some aggressive plans for 2011, but the trade-off for more time at my desk is less time in the garage.

This Saturday, I shot Brian a quick email about the body. They had an un-cut, very clean (and straight) 1968 on eBay ... so while I hate to be the one to do it, the 1968 is now the basis for my build. We plan on using the JBG/TDK frame, the built EFI motor, WH 4.5" suspension, custom interior and all the parts I've got together to do it properly.

The 1973 leftovers (stock frame, suspension, drivetrain) will get sold off to help pay for this build.

Here's a couple of older pics of my frame and new engine (taken 7+ months ago):

progress.jpg

dss347.jpg

Here's some shots of the 1968, as it sits. Plan is to shave everything, cut it, and give it a dose of high-quality SVT Raptor Blue Pearl paint!

68bronco-1.jpg

68bronco-2.jpg

68bronco-3.jpg

68bronco-4.jpg

Brian's plan is to come out on the 27th and grab the '73 and the shitload of new parts I've got in boxes and bins. Goal is to have it done and back to me by June so we can enjoy the summer in a proper vehicle.

Ryan

Last edited:

66fora69er

Contributor
That looks like a really clean and straight bronco. shame to cut it...but I am biased;D I look forward to the build

mavereq

Bronco Guru
i think you have your bumpstops on the wrong side of the frame ;D

i look forward to seeing what the finished product looks like.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I have to agree with the other poster...thats a really nice, clean original truck...why start with it...there are lots of other tubs out there. Have the BuildaBronco guys talk to Tom of TheBroncoRanch. For what you are going to pay for the 68 and then the new frame, plus all the mods and the labor to build all that up, there is no reason why your tub cant be fixed and you use the rolling chasis that you already have...for alot less destruction and coin.

Its your money and your truck(s), but there are better ways to conserve--both clean originals and our desires for more modd-ed rides and rigs than to kill two.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

OP
OP
RyanITV

RyanITV

Loc.
Lewes, DE
Good point, but you've not seen the 1973 body. :)

While I hate cutting into it, I'm trying to look at what the most solid starting point is going to be. There's some issues with the 73 tub that date back to how the previous two owners repaired/replaced some of the metal and other things. It's not anything that makes the tub unusable (assuming we can get it straightened out). It just isn't the caliber that I want for the build, especially considering how deep I am into it at this point.

The other thing that led me to do it was the fact we'll have enough left over to put a second Bronco together. My plan is to get it assembled, and then auction it off on eBay with 100% of the proceeds going to the Wounded Warrior Project. That's a worthy cause that my wife and I support at every opportunity - we felt this was more fun that cutting a check.

Ryan

I have to agree with the other poster...thats a really nice, clean original truck...why start with it...there are lots of other tubs out there. Have the BuildaBronco guys talk to Tom of TheBroncoRanch. For what you are going to pay for the 68 and then the new frame, plus all the mods and the labor to build all that up, there is no reason why your tub cant be fixed and you use the rolling chasis that you already have...for alot less destruction and coin.

Its your money and your truck(s), but there are better ways to conserve--both clean originals and our desires for more modd-ed rides and rigs than to kill two.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

OP
OP
RyanITV

RyanITV

Loc.
Lewes, DE
More Pics...

Here's a shot of the 1973 on the JBG frame as it sits:

1973.jpg

I'm attaching a bunch of pics of the 1968. They're going to start stripping it down today.

Ryan

Attachments

• IMG_1673.JPG
    IMG_1673.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1674.JPG
    IMG_1674.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1670.JPG
    IMG_1670.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1671.JPG
    IMG_1671.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1677.JPG
    IMG_1677.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1690.JPG
    IMG_1690.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1698.JPG
    IMG_1698.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 107
OP
OP
RyanITV

RyanITV

Loc.
Lewes, DE
Brian and his son took a road trip yesterday and drove out here from Michigan to pick up the 73 and about 40 boxes of parts. Great to meet him in person, and it's amazing how much garage space I have with all the boxes out of there!

After discussing it, I made the call to swap to an AOD transmission. It'll be easier for the wife to drive and most of the off-road use we'll do here will be the beach - Delaware is pretty damn flat! New steering column, new radiator and a bunch of other parts have been ordered - now I'm trying to figure out where to source a built AOD unit from.

Here's the color scheme we're doing on it:

raptor-blue.jpg

I think I'm moving up to 37s; it'll put it within 1/2" of the maximum height allowed in Delaware (30" from the ground to the bottom of the bumper).

Ryan

mavereq

Bronco Guru
that 73 body looks pretty straight. are you trading that one in?

OP
OP
RyanITV

RyanITV

Loc.
Lewes, DE
that 73 body looks pretty straight. are you trading that one in?

The epoxy primer hides alot. :-X When the guy did some welding on it, he got it hot enough to warp the panels. Plus, if you look at the body line, you can see where it's tweaked on the front-end now.

Brian and I agreed it can be straightened out, but sadly, it won't be as perfect as it was before the guy who'd had it for the past year went to town on it.

Ryan

Last edited:

mavereq

Bronco Guru
that's really cool that you're donating to the wounded warriors. it's also a shame that some azzclown warped your body.

buildabronco.com

Loc.
Tekonsha, Mi
Just arrived. Going to take the body off today and get the frame ready for powdercoat tomorrow. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_1745.jpg
    IMG_1745.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_1743.jpg
    IMG_1743.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_1742.jpg
    IMG_1742.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_1744.jpg
    IMG_1744.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 258
OP
OP
RyanITV

RyanITV

Loc.
Lewes, DE
Just arrived. Going to take the body off today and get the frame ready for powdercoat tomorrow. ;)

Nice! I should have got a pic of how packed the trailer was - LOL!

When you guys get a chance, can you get me measurements (eye to eye) on the shocks (compressed and extended). There's two different length ones - I'm going to do some research and see what the options are for upgrades; the ones in the Raptor spoil me.

Ryan

rudy16

I am looking at a engine upgrade what are the specs on the one at the beginning of your post. It looks like a nice engine.

OP
OP
RyanITV

RyanITV

Loc.
Lewes, DE
I am looking at a engine upgrade what are the specs on the one at the beginning of your post. It looks like a nice engine.

It's a DSS built 347 stroker (5.0L EFI block). Edelbrock heads, Performer RPM II intake, custom cam from Comp Cams for lower-end torque. They did all sorts of crazy stuff to the block - screw in freeze plugs, CNC-machined girdle, etc). It took about a month to get - DSS was really helpful with planning the build and even assembled the parts I shipped out to them.

http://www.dssracing.com/D_S_S_Small_block_Ford_engines_s/3.htm

Ryan

OP
OP
RyanITV

RyanITV

Loc.
Lewes, DE
Some more pics - the body is off the stock frame, all the holes that get filled are marked. The last pic is one of the parts pile that got sent to the shop with the truck. :-X

Ordered a built 4R70W 4x4 transmission from Monster Transmissions - that'll make it more wife-friendly and suitable for heavy summer traffic on the way to the beach around here. I almost picked one up from a guy I know locally, but in the end the 3 year, unlimited mileage warranty won out. To keep it cool, we're adding an Atomic Cool remote trans cooler in addition to the one in the Ron Davis radiator.

After some great input here, I decided to go with a pair of properly valved Bilstein 7100s on each corner.

Still not 100% sure on the new wheels. I know I want black, leaning towards TR HD beadlocks with 37s (Nitto Dune Grapplers, probably) - just not sure if I want to stay with 18s or go to 20s. I don't plan on doing any rock crawling (it's Delaware) - just playtime on the beach and at my friend's property, so I can get away with a larger wheel. With the 20s and 37s, I've still got over 8" of sidewall. Dunno - what do you guys think?

Ryan

Attachments

• 68-body-ff-1.jpg
    68-body-ff-1.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 245
  • 68-body-ff-2.jpg
    68-body-ff-2.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 269
  • 68-body-ff-3.jpg
    68-body-ff-3.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 262
  • 68-body-ff-4.jpg
    68-body-ff-4.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 248
  • parts-pile.jpg
    parts-pile.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 356

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Glad to see you back at it Ryan!

I say go for it with the 20's for what you're going to use the Bronco for - They'll look great and you'll still have plenty of sidewall. Talk to Bulldozer - he runs 37's on 20" rims.