• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

distributor question

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With dizzy pulled, is it supposed to spin easily when rotating the rotor? Been quite some time messing with one. The one I have (points system) is very hard to rotate by hand..
Reamer

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, there should not be too much resistance when you spin a distributor shaft. The shaft should be free and all you feel is a bump bump bump caused by the points riding over the cam. If you remove the points the thing should turn easily with one finger. Good luck

OP
OP
reamer

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Will have to try without the points, right now it's Really hard to spin be hand...

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I just remembered the early distributors had an oil cap for a few drops of oil on every tuneup. Most of the ones I see today have not been lubed in a long time. Good luck

broncojack

Contributor
Like Broncobowsher said take apart and clean.
I did mine and made a huge difference.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The shaft is oiled by crank case oil mist getting in the cavity at the bottom of the housing and carried up the shaft in the spiraled groove. Dirty oil gums it up and the oil turns to varnish. Too bad they still don't have the external oil tube. I guess it just cost too much for the bean counters. If the gear is too hard too remove, as some steel gears are, soak the whole bottom portion in lacquer thinner turning the shaft occasionally. Soon the varnish will dissolve. Replace it with oil from the bottom.