• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4G alternator blowing 30 amp fuse every few days...

stroked 66

Contributor
Hey Guys, I hoping someone has solved this problem already... Did the explorer conversion with a 4G alternator and new Centech harness. Trouble is that I am blowing the 30 fuse every couple of days. I'll try to attach a couple of pix and go from there... Main wire from the alt goes directly to the battery, clamp on ammeter shows 4-9 amps normal ops and a momentary spike to 20 amps when the high-beams are turned on...

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=505569&stc=1&d=1596307714re. imputs.

Attachments

• IMG_1707[1].jpg
    IMG_1707[1].jpg
    123 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1706[1].jpg
    IMG_1706[1].jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 64

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I'm surprised it lasts that long. Alternator can put out about 130A. But only delivers what is needed. 30A fuse will blow when the demand is great enough. They don't blow at exactly the rating, but about the rating with a time factor.

You just need a proper charge wire without the undersized fuse.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Or if you want one already made up with the cables and ready to go, we have this one: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Battery_Charge_Cable_AMG_fused/Bronco_Starters
Same 175a rated Mega-Fuse, but with the cables to work with the 3G. In case you don't make your own.
Mega-Fuse replacements are readily available at most auto parts stores. And it would not hurt to have a spare in the tool box either, just in case.

Paul

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm surprised it worked at all???

#4-6 Cable with a 175A inline Fuse.

I like the Blue Sea Safety Hub 150 for all the high Amp Fuses.

175A Alternator
70A Chassis Harness
100A Stereo
35A EFI

All coming together in one spot. Not a mess of wires going in different directions.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Probably worked because the battery was already fully charged, and only needed topping off after each start.
Once the demand went up for whatever reason, the undersized fuse couldn't handle it and just gave up on life entirely!

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Another reason it sort of worked, the sense wire was tied into the output pust. The voltage drop across the fuse let the alternator back off the charge. If the sense wire was tied to the battery as originally engineered the fuse would have blown at every engine start. (As it should have)

OP
OP
stroked 66

stroked 66

Contributor
Wow! Thanks for the great input guys. I wondered about the fuse rating (didn't know there would be that much draw at times.) I'll start the correct install tomorrow. Just to be clear, should I also relocate the yellow/ white wire that I have attached to the Alternator output terminal to the downstream side of the maga fuse pack that I will be installing. Once again, Thanks for the great support.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The yellow wire should skip the junction block as well. As close to the battery as possible. That is what the voltage regulator reads as battery voltage and adjusts the output to get the battery to the correct level. So if there is any voltage drop in the wiring (like your small charge wire and fuse) it won't read the battery voltage under load.

Most people doing the conversion just loop it like you have it. Super simple to do. Don't notice the slight voltage drop since the charge wire is often oversized to the point where there is very little voltage drop. It works, its quick and easy.

When I did the 3G there is the positive feed from the battery to the starter solenoid. A feed from the solenoid to a junction block that has all the various loads and alternator charge. This keep the battery terminal and the starter solenoid clean of the mass of wires. The only extra wire on the starter solenoid is the sense wire. That is only because it has a large gauge direct connection to the battery.

OP
OP
stroked 66

stroked 66

Contributor
Ok, thanks for the info. Glad to see this will be an easy fix!