• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

who gets the old man's bronco

bobtail

Loc.
high in the desert
say you had two sons in their thirties. one a career military man. his hobbies are hunting and cars. he likes early honda crx and has built two.one with a role cage, nitrous, set up for street/track. the other son, the older uses his mechanical engineering degree working for a major off-road race team. he is the shop chief and pit boss during races. his hobby is cars he is building a manx, complete resto/mod. so, that's who they are. iv'e owned my bronco since 1980. it's a 69 I think worth about 15 to 20 thousand. they both want it. I don't want to play favorite son. and I would like to keep it in the family. and I have a third son, the oldest, that works as a civilian for the army. his hobbies are many and he hasn't asked for the bronco. he drives a jeep. judging from what I wrote who gets the bronco? also would you gift it or sell it? if you sold it would you give a dad discount? how much? they said they would run it as is till i'm dead. isn't that some sweet ass kissing:-*.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Threaten to cut it in half. Which ever one would rather give it to the other than see it cut in half, that would be the new owner.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Talk it over with them and see what they feel might be a fair way to handle it. Here’s two options I have seen used. Both would include all three sons...

If they are all in similar financial positions, you might consider letting them bid on it. The high bidder gets the Bronco. Then you distribute the proceeds equally to the three of them. The end result is a family discount and equal value to each of them.

If their financial situations are not equal, set a fair value on it. Either let them do it or you do it. Then the sons flip a coin, draw straws, or something similar. The winner has the option to buy and you distribute the proceeds equally just as above.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Rock-paper-scissors.

Gift Bronco to winner, then winner and loser split the cost of an equal value Bronco to go to the loser. Gift value of half the Bronco to oldest son to take his family on a Caribbean cruise. Simple and everyone’s happy.

Except you. You’re broke.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
We've got the same issue.
We bought out Bronco new in '77 and brought each of our three sons home in it. It was the newer car, so it got used to haul the kids around. Later when it was the older car, the boys each used it. When I got it back it was still in pretty good shape and got a makeover.

The Bronco has been in engagement and wedding photo shoots, and has even been sketched in a love letter. These couples all have a personal relationship with this car.

I'm not done playing with the Bronco yet, but that day will be here soon enough.

I like the idea of having one buy it from the others. We'll have to talk about it.

Attachments

• Bronco get away.jpg
    Bronco get away.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 95
  • bronco art.jpg
    bronco art.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Adam & Vanessa 2.jpg
    Adam & Vanessa 2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 108

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Simple buy another Bronco or two. Unless there is something else of similar value and importance there is no fair way otherwise, you don't want hard feelings.

My oldest gets first choice then my second chooses, they can alternate until they are all spoken for.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Simple buy another Bronco or two. Unless there is something else of similar value and importance there is no fair way otherwise, you don't want hard feelings.

My oldest gets first choice then my second chooses, they can alternate until they are all spoken for.

I see that a lot where the oldest child gets first choice. I never understood how that is fair to the younger children. Seems like that could be a major source of hard feelings toward siblings and parents....

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
I see that a lot where the oldest child gets first choice. I never understood how that is fair to the younger children. Seems like that could be a major source of hard feelings toward siblings and parents....

My oldest does a lot more work on the Broncos but both of them are into Broncos and my other rides. There is no absolutely fair way that I know of other than flipping a coin which isn't my style. I also don't want to get into the value of things, I want them to pick what they love. For both of mine, this arrangement should work the best.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I've actually kidded about doing a "Thelma & Louise" with the Bronco If I ever get diagnosed with some serious ailment.;)

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Involving them and letting them know that you don't want hard feelings and want to be fair should go a long way for all of you coming up with something everyone can live with. Acknowledging there is no way to have a perfect solution. One may have more of a sentimental attachment than the other?? That's why buying extra bronco's may not be the same, they won't carry the same memories??

A group meeting will help give you a starting point. Might be the 3rd son is interested as well but just hasn't mentioned. Might be you have something else you could pass on with even more sentimental value for them. Everyone is different that way. You will also see how they will handle other things after your passing.

Good for you to trying to be equitable.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
My oldest does a lot more work on the Broncos but both of them are into Broncos and my other rides. There is no absolutely fair way that I know of other than flipping a coin which isn't my style. I also don't want to get into the value of things, I want them to pick what they love. For both of mine, this arrangement should work the best.

Yeah but you got plenty of Broncos for them to pick from.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I'm in the same situation as blubuckeroo. My '77 has been in the family since we bought it new in '77. My daughters learned how to drive in the Bronco. The question for me, is what grandson get's it? So my advice to bobtail is, stay healthy and let the Bronco skip a generation. My decision as to who will inherit ours, will be based largely on who demonstrates a respect for the history and an outstanding original concept. I wouldn't even SELL it to some knucklehead who would put on huge tires, an absurd lift kit. EFI, a Coyote engine, or some other crap that ignores the history. If someone wants that, they can build it with new parts, including the frame.

Bronco4x4

Play Monty Hall and have them pick door (or box) number 1, 2, or 3. Or flip a coin. They should all understand and be happy for the winner. You can also ask any one of them if there is something else you are willing to give up to take them out of the process. Coin flip between two would be less painful.

Geniusloerts

I would throw in that whom ever it goes to, should they decided they don’t want it anymore that the other brothers get the right of first refusal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
ditto blubuckaroo, ditto jckkys

Our 74 was bought new by my wife’s grandmother. It was then passed on to her mother. My wife inherited it in 1999. We have 2 sons and a daughter. It’s already decided that our daughter will get it with the stipulation that it goes to our granddaughter someday.

I do have a few other Broncos my sons can fight over when I’m gone! ;D

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
Whatever you do, do it before you are gone. Otherwise it could cause a feud in the family and no vehicle is worth that. If you can't have one for each son then sell it and they can have the $$.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
With the value of these you can add it to the total worth of your estate and whoever wants/gets it, the estimated value of it would be deducted from their portion of the inheritance.

Last edited: