• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I need help and suggestions with underbody

OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
You should be able to, just be sure you read the products info is all. Most will require a good scuff for adhesion but if the products are dissimilar you may need to add a link coat between them like an epoxy or some of the products like KBS may simply require a fresh application of that in between whatever you top coat it with for best performance. All of the data should be on the products to determine.

I would like to do this for the underside to seal it and probably go with a cheaper engine bay and exterior paint for now. Thank you!

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
After being prepped, seam sealed, I use a PPG Epoxy Primer in Red Oxide.

Your 66 may have traces of this color primer underneath from the Factory.

Look at the 69 Bronco in My Garage. You can see the Red Oxide there.

I then LineX the under side of the Inner Fenders black. The rest remains Red Oxide.

OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
Yep the under side is coated in the red oxide primer and undercoating. The undercoating is peeling off in places now and to begin with I scraped it all off down to the red oxide and spray painted it with rustoleum. Now I’ve decided I want to go ahead and do it right by blasting it and sealing it with some type of primer and or paint. Then eventually I’d like to raptor line it. Probably going to blast it , treat it and use por15. I’ve had this bronco since I was 15. I bought it from an old fellow and paid him $250 for it that earned by cutting grass one summer. That was 3o years ago. It’s not going anywhere and I want to preserve it and use it. I have a 77 also that’s more sentimental than this 66 but that’s a another story. Lol

OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
For good paint for the buck Rustoleum Professional Grade (Home Depot or Lowes in a gallon) or Tractor Supply's Tractor and Implement paint. Both good choices on a budget.

The more I look at this paint, the more I think I’m going to use it on the engine bay and exterior. Since I’ve never painted a vehicle before I don’t want to shell out for more expensive paint only to screw it up. If I can get this sprayed decent, it will all be the same color and I won’t be afraid to run it through the bushes since I won’t have much money invested in the paint. I am going to blast and Por15 the interior and underside.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
The more I look at this paint, the more I think I’m going to use it on the engine bay and exterior. Since I’ve never painted a vehicle before I don’t want to shell out for more expensive paint only to screw it up. If I can get this sprayed decent, it will all be the same color and I won’t be afraid to run it through the bushes since I won’t have much money invested in the paint. I am going to blast and Por15 the interior and underside.

Tractor Supply sells an additive that makes it even harder and helps keep the gloss factor. Worth the money for the exterior.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
While the por and I've are absolutely wonderful products, let me throw you another choice. Rust Bullet. I used it for the simple fact that it was uv resistant, while the por required a topcoat. This saved me a step, and saved a ton of time. At that time it was a sponsor here. Don't know if it is anymore, but it comes in silver as well as black, great stuff. ;)

OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
While the por and I've are absolutely wonderful products, let me throw you another choice. Rust Bullet. I used it for the simple fact that it was uv resistant, while the por required a topcoat. This saved me a step, and saved a ton of time. At that time it was a sponsor here. Don't know if it is anymore, but it comes in silver as well as black, great stuff. ;)

Thanks! I was looking at this stuff last night. Tried to find some feedback about it on here but t I didn’t see anything.

Tractor Supply has the Rustoleum Tractor paint for $10 off this week.

Preciate it! I’m going to my local tractor supply tomorrow to see what they have there. With this Rust-oleum paint do you spray clear coat on it?

OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
Hyghlndr do you have any experience with the Rust-oleum professional rusty metal primer? Would this be a good option for the underside or skip this and do epoxy primer then paint? I’m hung up on the por15 thing. I see a lot of bad experiences people have had with the stuff